TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haws bah gawd

WWE SmackDown - January 23, 2009

Again from Rajah

SmackDown: (Airing Next Friday)

* Edge cuts the opening promo. Matt Hardy runs out and takes him outside the ring. Edge runs.

* The Undertaker b. Shelton Benjamin in a non-title match.

- Shelton maintained control the majority of the match, but ended up submitting to The Undertaker's Hell's Gate submission hold.

* The Great Khali b. Chavo Guerrero

- Khali dominated throughout. He got the win with the Khali Bomb.

* The Bella Twins b. Michelle McCool & Natalya

- Maria comes out and interferes by attacking Michelle. The Bella Twins get the win via DQ.

* Edge b. Matt Hardy

- Edge gets the win after a spear and outside interference from Jack Swagger & Mark Henry.

* John Morrison & The Miz b. Carlito & Primo Colon in a non-title match.

- Good match with lots of back and forth action.

* Vladimir Kozlov vs. Triple H

- During the match Vickie Guerrero comes out and says it's now a handicap match with The Big Show.

* Vladimir Kozlov & The Big Show b. Triple H in a Handicap Match.

- Vladimir Kozlov pins Triple H for the win. Edge comes out and gets pedigreed by Hunter. When Edge comes to he gets on the mic and tries to talk but he keeps cutting out. He gets frustrated and elbow-drops the mic. This ends next week's SmackDown.

When Edge comes to he gets on the mic and tries to talk but he keeps cutting out. He gets frustrated and elbow-drops the mic.

Is Edge channeling Terry Funk?

So Shelton jobs to Undertaker again in a non-title match. So when do we get the eventual title match where Shelton wins thanks to help from whoever is facing UT at WM25?

This shit is so predictable.

More detailed spoilers from F4W:

They promise Trips v Koslov and later Undertaker and in the meantime tear down the Cutting Edge set while WM24 highlights roll. Tazz kills more time with "Sign of the Night" getting fans to hold them up for the cameras. Beats the hell out of seeing a Khali Kiss Cam. At this point I assume they transitioned from the first Smackdown taping to the second due to all the delays, but they never explicitly told the crowd that.

Edge comes back out fresh to his pyro and gets in the ring. He claims to have nothing to do with what happened to Jeff, so this sounds like the opening of next week's show. Edge says a true champ like him never whines or complains and overcomes all obstacles. Matt Hardy runs down to attack Edge and they're outta here through the crowd!

Shelton Benjamin v. The Undertaker in a presumably non-title match (why would Undertaker bother with anything less than a world title anyway). Taker's bright pyro shows off the tarped areas on the hard camera side, but they're not that big. Undertaker really let Benjamin go into business here, having him skunk the old school twice, counter out of a chokeslam into a near fall, I mean Booger Red must really like him because he let Benjamin shine on him a lot. The end comes when Benjamin jumps into Taker's guard and he locks a leg under his neck and pulls down on his head with the other for the tap or choke - Benjamin chose tap.

After the pomp and circumstance for Taker, Chavo Guerrero comes out to whine and complain. He says contrary to what Triple H has been telling people he's not a GOPHER. He was trying to get a GOPHER chant but it didn't work out so well. He claims he's a go-getter, a proud Mexican warrior, and a man who will come to his Aunt's aide whenever she needs him. Khali's music interrupts this promo and it's not the scary Great Khali white tiger music - it's some happy-go-lucky Indian pop music. I miss the angry Khali.

Chavo v. Khali was not as horrible as you'd think. They kept the match short, Khali shined on Chavo the whole time, he hit the brain chop and the tree slam and got the three count. Khali was over on size alone and certainly made an impression on the kids. Vince McMahon may think he's got the new Andre - I certainly hope not though. That would be an insult to Andre.

I started to go for popcorn when Maryse came out but she's only here for commentary. Whew.

Bella Twins v. McCool and Natalya. I think I'd rather watch the Beautiful People get slimed. Mercifully Maria does a run-in to attack McCool and the match is thrown out. Maria gets a beatdown and the heels leave triumphant. Bella Twins help her to the back.

Vickie finds Hunter backstage and says if he loses to Kozlov she'll make him enter the Rumble at #1. Boo hiss.

Edge v. Matt Hardy no DQ is next. Crowd is thinning slightly as we hit the 3 hour mark but Matt still gets a nice pop. Edge gets trash can shots. Hardy gets kendo stick ones. Edge misses with a chair to the ringpost. Mark Henry runs out and gets tripped by Hardy into the apron but Swagger comes running in too and they all beat up Hardy before holding him up for a cheap Edge spear 1-2-3.

Shaman of Sexy and the Chick Magnet make their way down to the ring. It's Morrison & Miz versus Carlito & Primo. This is my first time seeing Primo live and he's definitely better than his brother. Carlito thought he had Morrison with the back cracker but Miz was the legal man and he came in to surprise Carlito for the pin. Good match as both teams were on throughout and got a reluctant crowd into their work.

Kozlov and Hunter come out for what is presumably the last match of the night. A dark after this would be overkill. If this were ECW everyone in the Qwest Center would be GONE. Back and forth for a bit until Hunter posts Kozlov into the steel on the outside and Vickie comes out to interrupt. She gets big heat and says oh sorry, excuse me, I forgot to tell you Triple H that this is a 2-on-1 match. She sends out Big Show. Triple H takes a beating, makes a half-dozen valiant comebacks, but in the end they're too much for him and Hunter is left laying for the easy pin by Kozlov, making him officially the #1 entrant in the Royal Rumble.

In a post-taping angle to add insult to injury, Edge comes down and starts beating the crap out of Hunter while he's laying in the ring. He goes to the corner and waits for Hunter to stagger back to his feet so he can spear him, but he waited TOO long because Hunter was playing possum and when Edge charges he runs straight into a big Pedigree. Hunter leaves beaten up, exhausted, but pleased with himself. Edge is left laying in the ring. The post-show angle continues with Edge insisting he still be announced as the #1 contender to Jeff Hardy's title. When that announcement doesn't placate his ego he tells the announcer he has a few more words of his own. He starts to cut a promo and his mic feed switches on and off. He fumes and says this isn't funny as the children in the crowd roar. Finally he gives up and stalks off in disgust as his music plays... then stops. He waits, the music starts, he starts to storm off... the music stops again. He turns and it plays, he walks and it stops. The people who stayed are eating this up. Finally they turn off the lights at the top of the stage and he fumes and storms out, music or no music. WWE thanks us all for coming.

Biggest pops:

#1: Triple H. Consistantly over all night long despite being featured so much and the lengthy show.

#2: Undertaker. He always gets the crowd chants and probably got more by letting Benjamin shine.

#3: Matt Hardy, very very close behind #2.

Jeff Hardy for the three or so seconds before he got taken out by the pyro got the biggest pop of the night, but that probably shouldn't count.

Biggest heat:

#1: Vickie Guerrero by a wide margin. The words "excuse me" rile up the Omaha crowd like nobody's business.

#2: Edge. People passionately love to hate the man. If you don't believe heel merch sells they ran out of his t-shirts in XXL.

#3: George W. Bush. Seriously. Every time he was shown on the Titantron he got a thunderous boo, even during segments paying tribute to the troops.

- Steve Juon (a.k.a. Stevie J)

I've never been a fan of them telling you who #1 is at the Rumble. I like it when we all find out who drew #1 right before they enter.

No Kizarny again? I don't like these double tapings - the shows seem lackluster and the talent booked seems redundant. Then again, maybe because they've bcome so HHH-centric, and I can't stand the bugger.

Benjamin might have had the most important match of his career last week. Sounds to me like he won a fan in the Undertaker.

This HHH/Vickie angle is bizarre on so many levels. For the most part it is HHH being a total dick to her rather than a heel GM screwing someone over. In storyline terms HHH has been tormenting Vickie for weeks on end, so why shouldn't she punish him by making him #1 in the Rumble?

This angle is a stark contrast to the Jeff Hardy angle, where it's clear someone is out to take him down, with Jeff in this case having done nothing to warrant it.

In storyline terms HHH has been tormenting Vickie for weeks on end, so why shouldn't she punish him by making him #1 in the Rumble?

I would think the better punishment would be telling him he's *not* in the Rumble.

These double tapings are kill SmackDown!. Only seeing some of the top guys every other week is a hard way to build a brand. The again, it SmackDown so none of the higher ups give a shit anyway.

Perhaps they go with the #1 entrant being one of the last two guys in the ring and wind up getting eliminated. I don't think they've done that before.

*crosses fingers*

I'd kinda rather Triple H has a Shawn Michaels 2003 Rumble run, just to surprise everyone.

No, I'm not a Triple H hater. But a lot of people are penning him as a possible winner of the match, and it would probably shock some people that he was eliminated that quickly.

Perhaps they go with the #1 entrant being one of the last two guys in the ring and wind up getting eliminated. I don't think they've done that before.

Technically Steve Austin did that in 1999... I know, I know...

Hunter came very close in 2006.

--WWE will have a feature on the movie "The Wrestler" on Smackdown on Friday night. Apparently even if Vince didn't like it, now that Mickey Rourke won the Golden Globe, they are more apt to attach themselves to it in some form.

HA!

I've been laughing at Striker's occassional shots at The Wrestler. I know they were fed, but even so. Striker worked for 3PW, if anyone on the roster knows about the lives of 'old broken down piece of meat' wrestlers still going way past their heyday it would be him.

Are you ready for Vladimir Kozlov vs. The Game Triple H?

Will MVP stand for "More Victories, Please" with his 20 week losing streak coming to and end?

Find out the answers to these and maybe more tonight on WWE Friday Night SmackDown!

JR said the phrase "Motor City Madmen."

It's so surreal to think that in 2001 a trash can shot and a kendo stick spot were done every week in the first 30 seconds of a Hardcore Title match and meant nothing. Now, they're devastating moves that can put a man out.