TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

WWF Royal Rumble 1998

Right...because obviously the first thing I wanna try with my friends when I watch wrestling is to backdrop someone on a fucking casket.

I think that casuals/non-fans would be much more interested in that than chain-wrestling.

Just watched the Rumble match itself. Here be some notes and shit.

- Ross during Cactus Jack's entrance re: two people dressed up as Dude Love: "Too bad Dude Love can't be here tonight."

- Was Chainsaw Charlie the last person to have an entrance at a WWE PPV w/o music? Maybe, but I can't remember.

- Don't know if this was on 24/7, but, for some reason, Tom Brandi came out to the old Justin 'Hawk' Bradshaw theme.

- That suplex that Charlie took on the two upright folding chairs was very cringe worthy. No wonder he retired four months earlier.

- Foley, The Rock and Terry Funk being in the ring together just wasn't nearly as big of a deal at the time as it would have been a year or two later.

- Jim Ross: "(Phineus Godwinn is) living proof of what happens when first cousins marry."

- Man, Kurrgan was not a good "big man." At a time when McMahon seemed to have the most clarity he still saw dollar signs in this guy?

- I forgot how much this company was about Sable. The fans too. I still don't get it.

- Was Shamrock not the shit at this point? He had to have been in the top five, just behind HBK, Austin, Taker and Rock. Maybe even above The Rock.

- TAFKA Goldust is always welcome to come back. Maybe not a draw, but one of the most timeless characters as far as my fandom is concerned.

- NWA Champion Jarrett on a WWF Pay-Per-View. I can't even think of a good joke to justify this very real situation.

- HHH fucking over Owen with the crutch was pretty heinous. Boo that man.

- Jerry Lawler: "Ah, my cousin! I mean, the Honky Tonk Man!"

- Is Austin the only rumble participant (failing that, winner) to enter through the crowd?

- All Boricuas running down with Savio to take out Austin was a nice touch, since they run together. Hence, running down the aisle together.

- Didn't realize it until it was pointed out earlier in this thread, but, yes, all five NOD member. Awesome.

- So, of all thirty participants, Mark Henry and Goldust are the only two people who are currently under contract. And Henry is the only wrestler who has had a contiguous run with company, since this first aired live, having never gone without collecting a WWF/E paycheck since.

- The tease at the end with The Rock landing on the apron was enough to concern the audience, which definitely came across.

- Overall, an okay Rumble that accomplished everything that it wanted to, with Austin, Rock, Foley and Shamrock all looking really good.

- Mike Tyson was pretty thrilled about Austin winning, so the swerve at WMXIV doesn't seem like a total surprise.

- Was Chainsaw Charlie the last person to have an entrance at a WWE PPV w/o music? Maybe, but I can't remember.

I'm surprised I was able to think of these as fast as I did, but there was Al Snow at KOTR 98 when he was still fighting for his contract, and then Vince at the 99 Rumble. That's all I've got.

I'm surprised I was able to think of these as fast as I did, but there was Al Snow at KOTR 98 when he was still fighting for his contract, and then Vince at the 99 Rumble. That's all I've got.

The Snow thing is one that I can't remember, but yes, Vince without music at the beginning of the 99 Rumble, the immediate adoption of the PPV theme music as his own (which is going one a whole decade as of this month) is indeed one for the ages.

I actually don't mind this Rumble, even with it being every bit as predictable as 1995's outcome. Enough memorable moments to make it worthwhile, although it gets over-crowded a couple of times which always hurts it.

Is Austin the only rumble participant (failing that, winner) to enter through the crowd?

Jericho came out from under the ring in '03, that's about the closest I think.

Other memorable moments, the Vader Bomb with Luna on his back always looked fantastic. Tyson not knowing Austin's name. And who can forget Sunny being unable to leapfrog Max Mini?

I guess we'll find out soon, but what's the issue between Jarrett and Owen?

I always feel bad for Owen watching this show

Well, soon they became WWF Tag Team Champs, so it could just be Russo's booking.

Also, something non-Russo, I noticed that there is a very visible scratch WWF logo in the corner during a scene in the opening. When Mark Henry gives the World's Strongest Slam to Shamrock (I think?), there is the logo for a full 3 seconds or so. Just thought I'd share.

While I get that the story is the Nation not getting along, Faarooq eliminating Henry like that is stupid. Henry's elimination looked botched overall.

I think they could've pulled off The Nation Explodes story a little better. Have them team up at first and be a dominating force, and then some miscommunication results in chaos.

Austin eliminating Mero will never not be amazing.

Regarding a potential Owen/Shawn title flip that was mentioned earlier. I think that would have been cool to see Owen get a major title shot and win, but it definitely would have taken away from Austin taking the belt off Shawn. Shoehorning two major title changes in the two shows leading to WM would been a bit much, I think. Especially with an era changing win like Austin's was.

I guess we'll find out soon, but what's the issue between Jarrett and Owen?

I always feel bad for Owen watching this show

I'm pretty sure I've asked this in Old School Questions before, but I don't think there ever was a definitive answer. I don't remember them ever having any interaction prior to the Rumble. The only thing I can think of was a match on Raw (which aired on a Saturday for whatever reason, probably the dog show) a week after No Way Out, and even then, I was wondering why it took so long for a match.

I always just accepted the answer that DX probably payed Jarrett & Cornette off.

Is Austin the only rumble participant (failing that, winner) to enter through the crowd?

Jericho came out from under the ring in '03, that's about the closest I think

When Edge used to come through the crowd in his early WWF career, did he ever make a Rumble appearance that way?

Jericho came out from under the ring in '03, that's about the closest I think.

The Sandman in 2007

- I forgot how much this company was about Sable. The fans too. I still don't get it.

I think she was the first female in WWE to really push the T&A envelope. The whole act was a relative novelty at the time.

The fans were in to Sable because every week, she somehow ended up with barely covered tits and a g-string. Even Sunny, in all her drug-hazed glory, never ended up like that regularly. Sable had no wrestling ability or talking ability. She was literally just tits and ass.

The Snow thing is one that I can't remember, but yes, Vince without music at the beginning of the 99 Rumble, the immediate adoption of the PPV theme music as his own (which is going one a whole decade as of this month) is indeed one for the ages.

Wasn't "No Chance In Hell" created for Vince in the first place? Considering Vince said, "No Chance In Hell" about a million times prior to the Rumble. And besides, it's not like he had his own theme music beforehand.

Yeah, the song was written by Jim Johnston expressly for WWE's use. He's the most prolific songwriter this side of Wesley Willis.

Other memorable moments, the Vader Bomb with Luna on his back always looked fantastic.

This. I have no idea how Luna didn't seriously injure herself taking what was basically a vertical face-first bump.

I'd also mention The Rock's float-over ddt on shamrock as being a thing of beauty. I wish he'd kept that as part of his offense.