TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dorianb

Potential WWE "Big Surprises"

I promise that I'm not being confrontational at all when I ask this. My wife asked me the same thing the other day when I was watching RAW.... What could WWE do right now that would surprise you in a good way? I can start another thread if need be, but I saw Enigma's reply to the spoilers and it made me think to ask.

The answer I gave her was so different from what WWE is giving right now, I'm just interested in what things others would like to see.

The thing about wrestling is that everything has been done and done to death. We've had everything from clowns to even attempted murder. The only thing WWE can really do storyline wise is take storylines or gimmicks that worked well and try to tweak them to make them work even better.....or make them a lot worse.

As far as surprising goes...just give the fans the unexpected return/show up or push a wrestler no one expected to win a title. That's the best way to get a quick pop out of a crowd.

As far as surprising goes...just give the fans the unexpected return/show up or push a wrestler no one expected to win a title. That's the best way to get a quick pop out of a crowd.

That's the thing, right there. It's become so predictable that it's ridiculous. How many times in the past few years have you been able to say "Whoa, didn't see that coming?"

I'd also shit my pants if Sting showed up on Raw. Maybe if they had went PG a couple years earlier it might have happened.

One "Big Surprise" that I would like to see but know will NEVER happen would be, via this storyline that started on ECW last night, Tommy Dreamer actually winning the Royal Rumble.

A big surprise would be a cross-promotion angle again.

Something along the lines of when WWE and ECW did 'run-ins' back in the late 90's.

The only problem is not many people have heard of the likes of ROH for it to work, the only other option would be a TNA/WWE angle.

For example, Raw opens up and the Main Event Mafia make their way out for whatever reason, or Miz and Morrison defend their World Tag-Team Titles, they put out an open challenge, and out of nowhere, the MCMG come out.

It would do TNA the world of good, and it would give some freshness and a potentially hot angle for WWE.

Team SmackDown vs Team Raw for Wargames at Survivor Series would be pretty awesome.

John Cena

Shawn Michaels

JBL

Kane

vs

Triple H

Jeff Hardy

Edge

Undertaker

--

But then, i'm just a fan of Survivor Series matches where a brand teams up and throws away all their differences, like Shawn Michaels and Chris Masters working together a few years ago invading SmackDown and attacking Rey, and things of that nature.

I'd love to see more brand vs brand matches at Survivor Series where they teamed heels and faces up together.

Regarding Tommy Dreamer. As I stated in the ECW thread, have him stay tru to his promise of a June retirement if he doesn't win the ECW title. Have him challenge Jack Swagger at One Night Stand in an Extreme Rules match. Let him win, then gracefully retire as champion. I still don't think Dreamer is too "jobbed out" to be built back up and made into a legit threat for Swagger. Maybe even bring back some old ECW names for a one-time cameo appearance for his victory celebration.

About the biggest surprise they could have right now would be for Sting to sign-on following the end of his TNA deal, and work an HBK-esque schedule.

Well, now that Vince is going for this PG13 demographic, Sting might be more inclined to sign on. Wasn't his gripe always that WWE was too adult/"raunchy" ?

To the Dreamer comment above about being able to be built back up.. Ric Flair was built easily up again with a retirement storyline, the same with Dreamer having ECW in his heart, on the C show no less, is certainly believable.

Well, now that Vince is going for this PG13 demographic, Sting might be more inclined to sign on. Wasn't his gripe always that WWE was too adult/"raunchy" ?

It's more the WWE schedule.

It's more the WWE schedule.

I'm sure he can work a Shawn Michaels-like schedule...

I'd have to follow the shouts put out already for Sting in WWE. The thing is, once he's there I'm not sure what he'd actually do...

One thing I've always wanted to see (but moreso when Sting was in his non-speaking version of his Crow character) was an Undertaker/Sting match.

IF Triple H turns heel again, there's that match.

Depending on if HBK lasts past WrestleMania, there's that...possibly bringing up the Flair retirement in there.

Orton could do a one-shot attempted Legend Killer thing against him.

Depending on how Jericho comes back from being "fired", he could try to beat Sting.

Edge is an attention hog in character, so there's that.

Plenty of matches for Sting there.

And to the earlier point of Dreamer being built up...I can see it. He got a hell of a reaction when he beat Shelton Benjamin in a dark match before the recent Slammy Raw.

Then again, that show was in Philly...

So shit we've already seen over and over again from the same people, only this time rehashed with Sting?

It was either that or this bizarre dream I had once where Sting and The Boogeyman beat John Morrison & The Miz for the tag titles...

Tell me more

Well, it's a PPV...Backlash I think. The set up was for Finlay and Boogeyman challenging for the titles.

However, near the start of the show, after the first match, Finlay is shown bloodied, beaten, and being stretchered out.

Miz and Morrison come out for a handicap match, either Long or Stephanie (don't remember which) comes out and says he/she made an executive decision to have Boogeyman pick a partner of his choice.

Boogey comes out, says "I said I was coming to getcha...but I never said alone."

Sting's music circa Starrcade 97 cues up, Sting comes out.

Don't remember much about the match, but Sting beats Miz with the Scorpion Deathlock to get the titles for his team.

And Morrison gets wormed.

Then I woke up.

I don't think anything can be more surprising than CM Punk winning the world championship.

Jimmy Wang Yang winning the WWE title.

Obviously not happening though.

Someone mentioned ROH possibly doing some of the ECW-esque cross promotion with WWE and while I'd love to see it, I think a lot of what brought about the promotion between ECW and WWE was that Vince saw a new style and was seeing how the fans were eating it up and figured an easy way to "perfect" that style would be to bring these guys in..take notes then pillage the company from within.

ROH, while from what I've seen put on some spectacular matches...I don't think they have the "Style" that WWE / Vince sees as changing the business again and thus wouldn't spend the money to promote people like AmDrag or anyone else...especially with how some of the talent cross over to TNA and such.

..as far as something to surprise me?

Either a definitive Cena heel turn or a switch of programming style where 50mins into a show, I've seen more than 2 credible matches.

I don't think anything can be more surprising than CM Punk winning the world championship.

Bastion Booger winning the world championship.

I'd mark out for that. :headbang:

Sounds obvious but the best surprises are the ones nobody could predict. Who could guess a guy Cornette slaps around in developmental would win the Intercontinental title in front of his "home country fans" then turn into one of the most entertaining talents in the organization? Until more main eventers get built up it will continue to be Cena, JBL, Undertaker, HHH, Batista, but as long as they give us decent matches and every now and then put on something unexpected (not illogical like a rookie pinning Cena, just unexpected) I'll watch from time to time.

Sting coming in to do a year run ala Goldberg would be a pleasant surprise. Ultimate Warrior or Randy Savage showing up in any form whether it be for the hall of fame, another dvd(warrior), first dvd(savage), or even an appearance would be surprising. In my opinion, Austin wrestling a final match this year would be a surprise. Him wrestling Hogan with all thats been said about it not happening would be a surprise.

I'd say that a big surprise would be if they completely phased out the brand extension, which would kill off a lot more jobs within WWE.

I'd like to see Tommy Dreamer win the rumble or something if they were really going to get behind it on tv, but that's doubtful.