TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

Let's Talk About: Hair Metal

Hey- nobody's mentioned Decline of The Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years yet. Probably my favorite hair metal related thing. Too bad this isn't on DVD yet. One of my ten favorite documentaries ever.

Somewhat unrelated but has anyone seen I or III? Either of them worth seeking out?

Ah- here's the whole movie on YouTube.

I happened upon a 12" of the Decline I soundtrack ages ago, and I've always wanted to see the movie. I've never had any success in finding it.

Hey- nobody's mentioned Decline of The Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years yet. Probably my favorite hair metal related thing. Too bad this isn't on DVD yet. One of my ten favorite documentaries ever.

Somewhat unrelated but has anyone seen I or III? Either of them worth seeking out?

Ah- here's the whole movie on YouTube.

I take it Odin never made it. Also, the moment with Chris Holmes drunk at the swimming pool (with his fucking mother there nonetheless) is both one of the funniest and one of the most depressing things I've ever seen in a documentary.

Oh, yes. The Decline of Western Civilization Part ll would have been the inspiration for Metal Ed, had I not done that before seeing the movie. I remember being particularly impressed by Paul Stanley's interview.

I sort of dig "Talk Dirty to Me" and, to a lesser extent, "Once Bitten, Twice Shy." I heard a hell of a lot of hair metal growing up, because my dad was a major proponent of the stuff. To this day, he considers it to be the best form of rock music and that whole period to be rock's golden age.

Decline is awesome. I really want to see that again. In other hair metal news, it was only very recently that I learned that Stryper stood for Salvation Through Redemption, Yielding Peace, Encouragement, and Righteousness. I knew they were a Christian hair metal band, but: awesome.

I've been wanting to see Decline for years. The swimming pool scene is awesome, being both sad, funny and surreal at the same time. I read somewhere that people have blamed the movie for helping to kill hair metal. I don't see how that's possible. Isn't the life of excess and debauchery an important pillar in the whole hair metal culture?

Like Motley Crue made some decent music and all, but didn't they become about ten times more interesting when you found out that most of them were so fucked up that they don't even remember entire years of their lives?

I happened upon a 12" of the Decline I soundtrack ages ago, and I've always wanted to see the movie. I've never had any success in finding it.

II and III (which is about gutter punks and apparently, hasn't been released on VHS or DVD) are in their entirety on YouTube in their entirety but I is conspicuously absent.

"Talk Dirty To Me" is one of the few hair metal songs I really enjoy but I've never seen why Poison is seen in a higher light than Warrant, Ratt or any of the other second tier hair metal bands. Maybe it's my seething hatred of Bret Michaels that dates back years before he made Rock of Love.

Oh in my initial post, I forgot to mention that I own and enjoy the KISS compilation solely focused on their non-makeup, hair metal years. So cheesy, so good. Somehow Paul Stanley is more cartoonish without the makeup than he is with it.

Why can't we just post videos for the rest of this thread?

Twisted Sister's cover of "Leader of The Pack" (sung from the perspective of the leader!). This pretty much killed their career. Warning this video is rated H for Humor!