TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BifEverchad

A Small History of My Declined Interest

Then at One Night Stand, Cena lost the WWE Championship to Van Dam in what can only be described as the greatest ECW match ever held on WWE PPV. The

Even though I'm a big Cena fan, I really don't like this match. Yes, the heat is off the charts, but I find the majority of the match to be Cena just boringly working over RVD.

"Rey and Chavo had a hideous feud over Dominic"

I'm sorry, I just don't remember this at all. Are you confusing it with Eddie and Rey's feud over Dominic the summer before? Or am I forgetting something.

Eddie and Rey feuded over Dominic, Chavo and Rey feuded over Chavo being bitter that Rey was able to dedicate matches to Eddy and win them. Vicki got involved causing more shenanigans, that resulted in her heel turn

Then at One Night Stand, Cena lost the WWE Championship to Van Dam in what can only be described as the greatest ECW match ever held on WWE PPV. The

Even though I'm a big Cena fan, I really don't like this match. Yes, the heat is off the charts, but I find the majority of the match to be Cena just boringly working over RVD.

I agree. I was expecting a pretty even match with RVD being able to hit some of his more insane moves that weren't normally done in WWE. Since it ended up being all Cena for the most part, the match was a huge letdown for me. It's not horrible, but it could have been so much better.

They should have improvised some spots around the shirt - Cena could've set it up in the corner, and then tried to avoid being thrown into it (and avoiding throwing RVD into it), before finally having RVD send him crashing into it & Cena spazzing out a little.

I thought this was a message board open for discussion, but it's obviously going nowhere.

I don't like Cena and everyone else here sucks his dick.

What happened, Eddy and Beniot died so now you all have the hots on for Cena?

People are discussing what you said, bif. You said Cena is terrible and said he should be hated like Triple H, and people are justifiably jumping to his defence.

And Cena's easily one of the best wrestlers in the company. Most people have come around to that.

A little late, but let me throw in my two cents:

The problem with Cena isn't his wrestling skills, which have gotten better (My only problem with his wrestling skills is that he's become farily predictable, using the same series of moves building up to the F-U. But then, Brett Hart and Shawn Michaels are both guilty of that as well). The problem is that he's stale. He came in on a rapper gimmick, then after The Marine switched to a sort of hip-hop marine gimick taht took away the most enjoyable aspects of his act. If they would turn him heel already it would freshen him up considerably, but they just wont do that for some damn reason.

OR course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

If they would turn him heel already it would freshen him up considerably, but they just wont do that for some damn reason.

For some damn reason? The fact that he's the #1 face in the company, and sells gobs of merchandise and is a huge hit with kids, the demographic they're targeting? Don't like act WWE is being stubborn for not doing what you want them to do, because it's a stupid suggestion.

And really, we don't know that Bret has one 't'?

The WWE formula is what calls for repetition basically. You can trace that back even before Hart and HBK...Hulk Hogan personified the staleness of the same thing repeatedly. You could set your watch by what Hogan did...Hulk Up, right hands, bodyslam, Irish whip, big boot, legdrop...done. By doing the same thing over and over again it is designed to get the fans into the match...they knew when Hogan started Hulking Up what was coming. Same with Cena...when he starts his comeback the idea is to get the fans going.

I've become impressed with Cena's workrate over the last 2-3 years. You will never confuse him with a Ric Flair (another wrestler who became predictable in his spots and moves), but the man can work in the ring. Unlike those who might have gotten over with backstage clout or family connections, Cena has earned what he has done. He gives his all in the ring and will put his opponent over if needed to make the show good.

Bob, I have to ask..

What happened to you man?

You used to be informatively witty, now you're just an arrogant ass..

I enjoy arguing and presenting my opinions. I also have little tolerance for certain things, and spelling Bret with two "t's" is one of them. It's not like someone spelling Hennig with an extra "n", that I understand.

You just seem bitter that no one has really backed you up on the Cena hate. The dude's awesome.

Bob, honestly I couldn't careless if anyone "backed me up", almost as much as I really don't give a shit about how much of a man-crush you have for ol' five knuckles. I don't like John Cena, that was my point. I never once blamed him directly for my lost interest over the past few years. I just didn't enjoy him or most of his matches. Besides, your arrogance is not even exclusive to their discussion. Since I've jumped back on, I've seen your posts everywhere, and a good chuck of them get an actual eye roll from me. I used to enjoy your posts. Fuck, I used to get a kick out of your SNL reviews and even looked forward to them. But time doesn't stand still, people change. I guess I just don't tolerate things as much I used to. Hmm - I might start a list..

1) WWE

2) bob_barron

You know you don't mean that. WWE and bob_barron are still kinda like the only creations that god has left going for himself.

Also, John Cena's shoulderblocks are the best thing since indentured slavery. Admit it.

You know you don't mean that. WWE and bob_barron are still kinda like the only creations that god has left going for himself.

Also, John Cena's shoulderblocks are the best thing since indentured slavery. Admit it.

What about the mozerella sticks?

They're quite heavenly.

The nWo were heels and they did pretty good [you mean well] in the merchandise department.

It's comparing apples and oranges, and that was only because of an insane marketing push that was really never before seen in wrestling.

Plus they were cool heels that made the faces look like idiots. When I got Kevin Nash flipping his hair, and lawn darting Rey Mysterio... I'm not gonna get behind horseface choker Lex Luger and retarded Sting.

Is just seems like whenever there is an example to the contrary the argument is always "yeah...BUT." Bottom line is, we don't know if heel Cena would work, unless they do it and we find out.

That's right, but face Cena is working so well, that there's no reason to fix it.

With Hogan turning heel, his days as a top face draw in WCW were coming to an end. Fans hated him, and they weren't paying to see him anymore. So a heel turn and freshening up his character was needed. Cena's still raking in the cash.

That's right, but face Cena is working so well, that there's no reason to fix it.

I agree. Of course, I don't think he's a terrible wrestler either. At least not a terrible professional wrestler. Maybe not so clutch if we're talking technical wrestler...but who cares? He gets noise and makes money, that's really all that matters.

Let us not forget though, that there's a lot more TV now than there was back then. With Raw every Monday, ECW every Tuesday, Smackdown every Friday and a PPV once a month...the WWE burns through a lot more at a lot quicker of a pace. So whereas it took Hogan many years to burn out, it might not take Cena as long. How many times did Austin/Rock switch from heel to face and back again?

I'll back Bif up on the Cena hate.

I haven't seen much wrestling in the last 4 or 5 years, and I have no problem with Cena's in ring work, but his character is boring as fuck. It's really tired. He's almost like Stone Cold to me now, it's cool when he pops in or makes a return, but then after seeing him 2 or 3 times in a row I wish he would disappear again for another 10 months. It's time for him to change something up, he's been doing the same rehearsed crap for a good number of years.

So I don't think its his work, or the fact that he is killing in fans or merch sales that is the problem it's just the same crappy character over and over and over again... being fed to the mindless masses that buy it as hip, tough and edgy.

I also think the comparison to the Jonas Brothers isn't too far off, or at least it makes sense to me.

You know what, I think it might be time for John Cena to do another movie or have another single... that'll keep him fresh in everyones eyes.

When Cena starts getting shitty reactions, he'll turn heel. And by shitty I mean mild reactions instead of the nuclear mix of cheers and boos he gets.

Is just seems like whenever there is an example to the contrary the argument is always "yeah...BUT." Bottom line is, we don't know if heel Cena would work, unless they do it and we find out.

I can't believe we're still arguing this...

The reason that it is a bad idea to turn Cena, right now anyways, lies directly in the the company's target demographic. He's a draw with the young audience. I'm certain that at some point down the road it will be worth the risk. I'm talking years down the road. But at present time it would be incredibly foolish.

I haven't seen much wrestling in the last 4 or 5 years, and I have no problem with Cena's in ring work, but his character is boring as fuck.

Jericholic, is that you?