TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BifEverchad

A Small History of My Declined Interest

That's not what I am arguing. I think Cena is an incredible face, I'm just not going to completely dismiss that he could be a great heel due to that. My reasoning being because it would be a hypothetical guess. I'm just saying, we can just wait and see because it will happen eventually. So instead of saying things like "but the merch sales!" to strengthen arguments, you could simply say "maybe, but it's not needed right now."

Who's more over: Jeff Hardy or John Cena? Both are the top faces of their show. Both move a ton of merchandise. Hardy doesn't seem to get the "mixed" reaction that Cena does. Hardy has been around for longer. Raw is a "bigger" show than Smackdown.

Why would you turn someone who is as over as Cena?

This reminds me of Rikishi, to a lesser extent. The dude was over as hell, as a face, and they decided to turn him heel, and look at him now. He isn't even in the company anymore. Of course Cena is strong enough to withstand a poor heel turn, but there's nothing good that could come out of a heel turn. You know that he's going to get cheered like hell as a heel anyway, which will turn him face again.

Why would you turn someone who is as over as Cena?

You wouldn't. At least in theory.

I think the idea is that you do it to "freshen things up." Austin was pretty over every time they turned him. Rock too, sans the first time. Just because it gives the writers new storylines that they can write.

He's the only guy these days who can make Shawn Michaels look great in the ring. Fuck, everyone is entitled to their own opinion... but this is ass.

Saying Shawn Michaels needs others to make him look great is ass. Michaels and Cena do click very well though. They're kind of like mozzarella sticks and raspberry sauce. You wouldn't think they would go together but they're great.

Although i do agree Cena's ringwork has improved i still can't stand the guy and never will. His terrible execution of the stf, his out dated gimmick and his boring mic work being just three reasons. I have been watching wrestling since the early 90's and agree with many of the op's points, i find myself barely interested in the wwe anymore. And tna is even worse imo they have some great talent being held down by terrible booking.

As for Cena being the most over guy in the company i would argue that Jeff Hardy holds that title, as half of the noise for cena is booing.

What the hell is everyone doing now? John Cena is the almighty end all, be all of wrestling right now.

He makes money and people cheer for him (because they are trained to), so everybody retract your anti-Cena statements NOW.

*gag*

What the hell is everyone doing now? John Cena is the almighty end all, be all of wrestling right now.

He makes money and people cheer for him (because they are trained to), so everybody retract your anti-Cena statements NOW.

*gag*

We get it. You don't like Cena.

Outside of the cheesy promos, really the only thing that annoys me about Cena is the STFU execution. Not only is there usually just the space between Cena's hands and the other wrestler's head, but usually, it just looks like Cena is just resting his hands on the mat. He needs to start doing it like the one he used on HBK at WM 23. That was the one where he just completely cranked back sideways. It actually looked devastating.

I have never known a face champion to be booed as much as Cena, his matches are the same every time, he gets beaten and up and does his comeback with his 5 moves. I would rather see Randy Orton as the face of wwe or maybe in the future John Morrison

A portion of the crowd boos him out of the building.

So we got a guy who can make a company a LOT of money by having:

A section of the audience that wants/and will pay to see him win

AND

A section of the audience that wants/and will pay to see him lose

And people still wonder why Cena is on top?

I have never known a face champion to be booed as much as Cena, his matches are the same every time, he gets beaten and up and does his comeback with his 5 moves. I would rather see Randy Orton as the face of wwe or maybe in the future John Morrison

This is nothing new to WWE. This has been around as long as Vince McMahon has been around. This is their "style." EVERY top face does this. Hell, all the top heels and top tag teams and women and cruiserweights all do the same shit week in and week out as well. The TV matches are the same, the PPV matches are the same. You only notice when you watch every show show, every week, for several years. Most fans don't do that. Most fans don't go on-line and talk about wrestling when the shows aren't on.

Hulk Hogan worked that formula and made a lot of money doing so. The Rock & Stone Cold did too. The big difference is that they had more freedom in their promos.

Alright in an attempt to salvage this thread, I'll throw something out there:

Since I haven't watched a lot over the past few years, what would people say is John Cena's finest work?

I'm aware of his battles with Umaga (most notably their Last Man Standing match), he also had a couple of good matches with HBK I recall, but what other Cena gems out there are worth a respectful watch? Also, serious and legitimate suggestions only. I don't wanna hear about how awesome all of his matches are in their own little way. Bob, I'm pointing in your direction.

Besides the matches you mentioned-

Cena and Angle always worked well together before Cena hit it big, particularly No Mercy 03 and No Way Out 05. I didn't care for their matches once Cena was champ.

Cena-Jericho, Summerslam 05, Armageddon most recently.

Any Cena-Edge match (except for RR 06) is bound to be awesome. I also enjoyed the Cena-Khali matches.

Cena-Orton from Summerslam is awesome (2007) . Cena-HBK (WM and the Raw match), the match he had with HHH after the draft (Night of Champions).

The Batista match from Summerslam (2008) was great too. Really exciting match, reminded me of the Batista-Taker match from WM (2007).

If you want old school Rico-Cena vs. DOS and Rico-Cena vs. Lesnar-Benjamin from 2001 were also very good.

I haven't seen much wrestling in the last 4 or 5 years, and I have no problem with Cena's in ring work, but his character is boring as fuck.

Jericholic, is that you?

....No, I'm not Jericholic...

So we got a guy who can make a company a LOT of money by having:

A section of the audience that wants/and will pay to see him win

AND

A section of the audience that wants/and will pay to see him lose

And people still wonder why Cena is on top?

Yeah, Cena has some strange love/hate amongst fans. I actually think the guy is doing good although I liked his character more when everyone on the net hated him(even this place hated the guy). The reason probably had to deal with Cena's character being out of the norm of a babyface. I think Smackdown Cena was actually better character wise, but he puts on better matches now. His storylines also remind me of the stuff that made me like the attitude era.

Example would be the original JBL feud although the climax absolutely sucked and I think it did because they were going for the Warrior/HTM impact. I don't think either were more popular or skilled to pull it off.

His match with Umaga was good and so was his match with HHH at Mania. I think training with Steamboat has helped him a lot.

A heel turn may freshen him, but I don't think it's need right now. They just need him to get his edge back. Sort of like what they did with Hogan in 1988 when he lost his mind after losing his title and Hogan was being more like a heel, but it was justified because he got over the edge after being robbed.

Right now I don't even know what Cena is suppose to be about. It's like he's just some guy in jean shorts and Reebok pumps who comes to fight and wears a belt. His current feud with JBL is not even about him, but about JBL and HBK.

John Cena is the Jonas Brothers of wrestling.

I hate him.

I don't give a shit about how much merchandise he sells, I never bought any of it.

You may not like him, but the guy's great in the ring and totally deserving of the push WWE gives him. The guy comes back, and RAW ratings go back up again. He's the face of the company and deservedly so.

His matches always seem to have tremendous heat, and he rarely has an off night.

That's completely different from Triple H- I'd say the peak of HHHate was 2002-2003 and that was when Triple H was just all over RAW (Cena isn't) as ratings and profits plummeted, all while having heatless main events.

????

Cena's bad? There hasn't been a guy who knows how to figure out a crowd and work a match around the atmosphere like Cena since Lawler. He's the only guy these days who can make Shawn Michaels look great in the ring. Fuck, everyone is entitled to their own opinion... but this is ass.

I cant tell if this is a sarcastic post or if you are serious

Cena making HBK look good in the ring ? LMAO

If they would turn him heel already it would freshen him up considerably, but they just wont do that for some damn reason.

For some damn reason? The fact that he's the #1 face in the company, and sells gobs of merchandise and is a huge hit with kids, the demographic they're targeting? Don't like act WWE is being stubborn for not doing what you want them to do, because it's a stupid suggestion.

And really, we don't know that Bret has one 't'?

Edge sells gobs of merch as a heel.