TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BifEverchad

A Small History of My Declined Interest

My qualms with Cena, outside of the dull character, stems from his (gasp!) ring work. And it's not even a problem I have with his style of taking a beating, hitting a few moves, and then winning (although that is horrible booking). I just can't believe anything he does in the ring. The F-U (err...Throwback, even if he already has another move called that) is a fucking fireman's carry slam, which is just basic amateur stuff, and he barely even puts a whole lot of effort into making it look like a finishing move. And the STFU has already been touched upon. But even his punches, kicks, and just about everything he does that isn't a lock-up or a headlock...it just all seems so soft, like he's just doing it because it's expected and not because he wants the people to actually believe it. It's actually a problem I have with quite a few wrestlers, some WWE (but not nearly all), but it definitely takes me out of the product.

I don't know why everybody's still bemoaning the STF or The Victory (aka FU) at this point. The fact is, weak as they look to the trained eye, the majority of normal people obviously don't care, because they still get reactions. When he applies the STF, I'm pretty sure the majority of people aren't booing because his fingers aren't clasped. When he hits The Vi The FU, it's the minority in the crowd going "oh, it's just a Fireman's Carry, what a bunch of crap". The same people complaining about this are probably the ones who complain about Hogan's Legdrop looking weak or the People's Elbow being a dumb finisher. Only wrestling nerds really worry about minor stuff like that.

To me, the problem with his work is the basics. Stuff that people are going to notice. I know the suplex is supposed to be 'modified', with the pseudo leg-hook. But it just looks bad. The hiptoss is one of the worst delivered moves in wrestling history, although he may have dropped that recently. And his punches are awful. That's the shit he needs to improve on. If your basics look bad, it's not just the wrestling enthusiasts who study everything to minute detail who are going to notice, it's the average fan who's disbelief isn't going to be suspended.

I'll agree with Corey in saying that Cena doesn't look natural at times. He's not a polished wrestler. But it's hard to argue with him being a great performer.

Unless you're goldengreek, then it's easy and usually only takes about ten words in five posts.

I don't know why everybody's still bemoaning the STF or The Victory (aka FU) at this point. The fact is, weak as they look to the trained eye, the majority of normal people obviously don't care, because they still get reactions. When he applies the STF, I'm pretty sure the majority of people aren't booing because his fingers aren't clasped. When he hits The Vi The FU, it's the minority in the crowd going "oh, it's just a Fireman's Carry, what a bunch of crap". The same people complaining about this are probably the ones who complain about Hogan's Legdrop looking weak or the People's Elbow being a dumb finisher. Only wrestling nerds really worry about minor stuff like that.

To me, the problem with his work is the basics. Stuff that people are going to notice. I know the suplex is supposed to be 'modified', with the pseudo leg-hook. But it just looks bad. The hiptoss is one of the worst delivered moves in wrestling history, although he may have dropped that recently. And his punches are awful. That's the shit he needs to improve on. If your basics look bad, it's not just the wrestling enthusiasts who study everything to minute detail who are going to notice, it's the average fan who's disbelief isn't going to be suspended.

I'll agree with Corey in saying that Cena doesn't look natural at times. He's not a polished wrestler. But it's hard to argue with him being a great performer.

Unless you're goldengreek, then it's easy and usually only takes about ten words in five posts.

Not targeting you, but I always love it when other people bring up how the People's Elbow was a bad finisher.

My qualms with Cena, outside of the dull character, stems from his (gasp!) ring work. And it's not even a problem I have with his style of taking a beating, hitting a few moves, and then winning (although that is horrible booking).

No, that's called professional wrestling.

And goldengreek, as always, should kill himself.

Didn't Billy Graham start the Rocky Balboa face comebacks? Pretty sure Hogan just ripped his whole bit from The Superstar.

I guess Cena's sloppiness (it's there, but he does what he can) is over shadowed because almost everyone else on the roster works similarly. Who in the WWE throws a good looking punch anymore? Is Palumbo still around? His punches looked wicked. The cut and paste matches kind of wore me down too. Everyone has their "five moves o'doom" that they showcase almost every match they have, and it just isn't enough to keep me interested.

My cousin who just started rewatching a couple of years ago (I compelled his viewing when we were kids) always calls me, and tells me about something he's never seen before, then I point out where it happened in the Monday Night Wars and he's all, "Oh, they are recycling something else? At least it's new to me!"

Palumbo was released a few months ago :)

Palumbo's pretty good, and was a solid midcard hand. I really enjoyed his feud with Noble and his mini-feud with Finlay.

Palumbo's pretty good, and was a solid midcard hand. I really enjoyed his feud with Noble and his mini-feud with Finlay.

He was alright in the ring and his matches with Finlay were pretty good, but I hated his look, his personality, and how he stole Undertaker's motorcycle entrance.

I have no problems with John Cena. I don't like his promos those times when he tries too hard to be like The Rock, but when it comes to putting asses in seats and making people give a damn, whether you cheer him or boo him, Cena does it like nobody has done since Steve Austin. He may not be Chris B. in the ring, but you can tell he's busting his ass to do what he can do.

My qualms with Cena, outside of the dull character, stems from his (gasp!) ring work. And it's not even a problem I have with his style of taking a beating, hitting a few moves, and then winning (although that is horrible booking).

No, that's called professional wrestling.

And goldengreek, as always, should kill himself.

GFYM

He was alright in the ring and his matches with Finlay were pretty good, but I hated his look, his personality, and how he stole Undertaker's motorcycle entrance.

Chuck was awesome, did you see his punch man? It was a thing of beauty. Jungle Kick!

Wishful thinking, but having Jindrak, O'Haire and Palumbo on SD or ECW, at some point in recent history, as a group, is something that I would have enjoyed.