TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Krankor

TSM Fantasy Baseball 2009

Sorry I wasn't around guys, but computer issues kept me from actually logging on to draft.

That said:

t1_burnett.jpg

SP A.J. Burnett

BTW, joining a keeper league after the first season sucks.

Ok MJ has come up with a solid idea for drafting potential rookies before the player pool is opened that I think will be effective and puts all the responsibility on the manager.

Krankor,

I know we don't have the Yahoo player pool yet, so there's no guarantees, but I am asking permission to draft Matt Weiters.

You have to understand first of all that I'm an Orioles fan, so this guy is about the most exciting thing to come up the pipeline since Cal. Also note that I have been building my team largely through a rebuilding strategy (drafted Evan Longoria and Jay Bruce last season. Had to endure a couple months of N/A status, but it paid off in the end. Colby Rasmus was not as successful a pick) and am looking to continue that.

Now, I am 99.99% sure Wieters will be in the player pool being that they always seem to have the top group of prospects expected to be called up there, but am willing to say this since I know you want to avoid headaches. If by some fluke when its time to set up the rosters that Weiters is not there, I will be willing to essentially eat my 1st round pick (so I'll just pick another player from someone who's left at the end of the draft as my new 1st round, essentially a deferred pick). Further, I know you don't want to start a precedent so I would claim no "rights" to Wieters for when he is added presumably later in the season and will respect the waiver system (that is unless you would agree to otherwise).

So, with those caveats out of the way, and me essentially accepting the risk, this won't be a problem will it?

MJ,

Alright, if he isn't in the player pool you're going to lose the rights to him. Also, if the rest of the league throws a hissy fit, which I doubt since you are wanting to draft him in the first round and only 5 or 6 managers have drafted you may have to give him up and select someone else. I'm going to post this in the thread. So everyone knows whats going on. If there is extreme backlash from the league you'll have to draft someone else.

Alright, I think this is a solid idea. If you draft a guy without 2008 stats that is a Rookie BEFORE the player pool is posted, and he is not in the player pool by the END of the draft, you lose that player as a draft pick and any rights to that player AND will be forced to select someone from the remaining undrafted players.

We've only had like 5 or 6 picks so far and I doubt any would feel like they're losing out this potential rule change. MJ is willing to wait out his time limit for his pick, and I draft following him and I'm willing to wait also to give everyone a chance to way in on this if they have a significant opinion for or against it.

So the rule would be,

If you draft a guy without 2008 stats that is a Rookie BEFORE the player pool is posted, and he is not in the player pool by the END of the draft, you lose that player as a draft pick and any rights to that player AND will be forced to select someone from the remaining undrafted players.

In Favor: MJ, Krankor, SteakGrowsOn, Harley, treble, Cheech, Will, Roy, pinjockey, VX, Chris, Brooklyn Zoo, Linx, Cartman, 909

Against:

Look, Im taking all the risk here. The only other fair way to do it is to say no drafting of any players who didnt play last year at all through the draft which will just lead to a mad rush to pick them up off the waiver wire which isn't good either. It would be completely unacceptable for me to lose out on a 1st round opportunity because he shows up in say the 3rd round where I dont have a pick.

I'm in favor and didn't a guy draft a player who was out for the year in the past?

Fransisco Liriano? Carl Pavano? Mark Prior? I seem to remember this too.

Fine by me.

I'm in favor and didn't a guy draft a player who was out for the year in the past?

Fransisco Liriano? Carl Pavano? Mark Prior? I seem to remember this too.

I took Liriano in the 17th a couple years ago just to stash him for the year.

Guest Vitamin X

As much as I want to say no to it just to piss off MJ Styles, I can't disagree with it, despite my complete lack of knowledge of the hottest young prospects and all that. So yay on that.

Also, I got exactly who I wanted this round- I couldn't be happier with getting Utley. Infielding was a problem for me all year, especially at 2nd base where I couldn't find a suitable guy there forever. Quality outfielders are a dime a dozen in my book, but Chase Utley's about the most valuable guy I'm going to have on my team right now.