TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Krankor

TSM Fantasy Baseball 2009

Let me defend my picks for the benefit of VX. Skipping over Rodriguez, who was on my team before I joined.

2. Abreu- fairly obvious here. 20/20 guy and thankfully outfield defense doesn't count.

3. Matt Cain- Twice top ten in strikeouts, he is good enough now to deserve a pick. Established pitcher who deserves better run support.

4. Jarrod Saltalamacchia- I think I overranked Salty here. I was under time constraints and was in a rush having just picked up the team. He probably sticks in my mind because I saw him manage a 7 RBI game in person.

5. Michael Young- Veteran. I get to use him at SS all year.

6. Cameron Maybin- A real upside pick. He should contribute this year though, and has 30/30 potential. Even if he goes 15/15, there are not many outfielders left on the board with that type of ability.

7. Jonathan Sanchez- 5.18 career ERA? Peripherals do not match his ERA at all. I picked him because I think he'll perform THIS season.

8. Fausto Carmona- If he recovers his prior form, a Cy Young candidate.

9. Heath Bell- I'm questioning going for saves in this league. Might regret this pick.

Bottom line is that there is not much to go on. This is a 20 team, 6 keeper league. That's 120 players. Now at any given time there are 434 starting players in the Majors. Figure that each team has two or so open or unsettled jobs. That leaves you about 360 players with steady jobs. The top third are gone before we even start.

I'm not even going to draft any closers.

I'll let others win that one category.

I'm probably not going to draft any either. Between Santana & Peavy alone i generally win every other pitching stat, who needs saves. Every year there's a few guys that come from nowhere to become closers i can pick up off waivers anyway.

i guess tomorrow for pj to make his pick ugh.

we're well ahead of our pace last year as on the 18th we had only gotten to the end of the 6th round and here we're in the start of the 10th.

And nearly nobody is picking in the last three rounds. We could be done by the time the WBC starts. Having 6 keepers instead of 4 helps a lot in that regard.

Guest Vitamin X

It took me a long time to decide on this because I was really wary of taking him so early, but I figured it made sense to..

clement_1.jpg

Jeff Clement, C

I see this guy as a possible keeper, especially if he does well this year. I wanted to take him on my next pick, since it isn't until round 13 and thought that might be more appropriate but I looked at what teams had catchers and which didn't and noticed there's still three other teams out there with five picks between them where they could've taken someone like Clement, who was the third ranked catcher left on the board. I've been eyeing him for a few rounds, and that just about finishes my starters right there.

Guest Vitamin X

Al continues his streak of taking players 5-7 rounds earlier than I was planning on.

Swish might not even win a starting job this year, but he's good depth.

Al continues his streak of taking players 5-7 rounds earlier than I was planning on.

Swish might not even win a starting job this year, but he's good depth.

Do you know of any other 20 HR outfielders on the board?

Guest Vitamin X

Nope, and I don't know of any before you took him either. Where is Swish's bat going to come into play in the Yankees' lineup to get the chance to hit that many? Honest question, I'm not just talkin' trash.

Nope, and I don't know of any before you took him either. Where is Swish's bat going to come into play in the Yankees' lineup to get the chance to hit that many? Honest question, I'm not just talkin' trash.

If he's got the talent, he'll either play himself into a regular job or get traded somewhere where he'll get used. I suspect Hideki Matsui and/or Johnny Damon misses some time with injury. Also, if the Yankees don't upgrade at center field I can see them punting defense with Swisher.