TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Krankor

TSM Fantasy Baseball 2009

bored in his PM to alert me I was up reminded me "there are more Orioles available." Indeed there are!

37366464.jpg

Jeremy Guthrie, SP

An ACE in fact! Ok, so it's the ace on the Baltimore Orioles, who currently do not have any set rotation for spots 2-5, but an ACE still!

Honestly MJ being a huge homer makes things better for me by keeping me from making homer picks.

Ive somehow become a Brewers Fantasy homer though. Hardy/Braun/Parra and theres still 2 or 3 more guys I could draft if needed.

I'm definitely a huge homer, but I feel like I can independently justify all my O's picks. Wieters, I admit I picked way earlier than normal, but there's no doubt he's the #1 prospect in baseball and I really didn't want to lose him. Roberts is top 5 2B, Markakis top 10 OF, Jones is an easy breakout candidate and Guthrie is one of the best pitchers who was available. So, no regrets.

NuclearTBD Selects

kaz-matsui-fissures.jpg

Kaz Matsui (and his healed up Anal Fissures) 2B

This rounds out my starting offense. There were a couple better options at 2B left but I think Matsui will help with SBs which is what I need more than HRs or other stats. He should be good for 30 SB which will help keep me at least competitive with SBs so I dont have to completely punt that category.

Looking back I've definitely made some mistakes in this draft. I wanted a guy who could both play first and back up Chipper at 3rd if/when he sits out some games, and after my first choice (Carlos Guillen) was gone I should have jumped on Casey Blake or Hank Blalock. But I don't really like either guy and I'm convinced that Blalock is a total steroid washout who isn't going to contribute meaningfully in any one category, so I decided to go for the risk/reward of Todd Helton. Helton is another steroid washout, but at least he still gets on base at a ridiculously high rate. With his health concerns though I really just should have taken Blake. I probably should have passed on the upside of Milton Bradley as well and gone with a safer bet like Damon or Hunter.

Anyway, who the fuck is Chris B Young?!?! Christ....

6ad057ae1a_fight_06302008.jpg

Dioner Navarro, C, Rays

and, because SOMEONE *coughAJBurnettAndyPettittecough* is bound to get hurt this year, and because I still believe!

p1_hughes.jpg

Phil Hughes, SP, Yankees

Guest Vitamin X
Helton is another steroid washout, but at least he still gets on base at a ridiculously high rate.

Wow, there is not a single truthful statement in this sentence. Helton's not a steroid washout (at least I'm pretty damn sure I didn't see him on THE LIST~) and if you saw his numbers from the second half of last season, you can be assured that his OBP numbers are awful. Furthermore, Garret Atkins is most likely going to be the guy taking over eventually at first- if the Rox were an AL team, Helton would almost assuredly be relegated to DH duties by now with his back issues and everything.

Todd Helton had an absolutely normal career path. Peak from 26-30, tailed off since then.

I don't see what's so special about Garrett Atkins. If I were the Rockies, I'd move Brad Hawpe to first base.

Moving Hawpe to first makes zero sense. The Rockies have a terrible outfield and a log jam of corner infielders. Hawpe is their best outfielder now that Holliday is gone. Who would fill in for Hawpe in the outfield? Matt Murton? Terrible. Rolling out Seth Smith/Ryan Spilborghs, Carlos Gonzalez, and Matt Murton as your starting outfield opening day would be arguably the worst outfield in baseball. Atkins should play first or they should trade him so Ian Stewart can take over at third.

Moving Hawpe to first makes zero sense. The Rockies have a terrible outfield and a log jam of corner infielders. Hawpe is their best outfielder now that Holliday is gone. Who would fill in for Hawpe in the outfield? Matt Murton? Terrible. Rolling out Seth Smith/Ryan Spilborghs, Carlos Gonzalez, and Matt Murton as your starting outfield opening day would be arguably the worst outfield in baseball. Atkins should play first or they should trade him so Ian Stewart can take over at third.

Hawpe is getting pretty bad defensively, and that's the wrong ballpark to punt outfield defense.

Guest Vitamin X

Atkins is a consistent bat and a decent guy defensively from what I've seen. More importantly, they need to get Ian Stewart in the line-up somehow, and Clint Barmes as well. Some people have suggested moving Stewart to leftfield, Keeping Atkins at 3rd, Helton at 1st, Barmes at 2nd, and then Hawpe and Spilboroughs to round out the outfield. That's not terrible, but that's a lot to ask of Spilboroughs (they really made a big mistake this offseason with trading away Holliday AND not re-signing Taveras, who the best baserunner in the majors last year). I don't even know where in the fuck this Seth Smith came from.

I don't see where the dropoff is for Hawpe defensively; remember this is Coors Field we're talking about here. He's going to look bad regardless, how in the fuck do you look good playing defense out there unless you've got ridiculous speed like Taveras?

Guest Vitamin X

I am also bitter because Stewart is my 8th round keeper and I think he has incredible potential.