TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hadley

Lets talk about: ECW on TNN

They didn't promote ECW, but damn if they didn't promote the shit out of Roller Jam

Paul Heyman believes that's where a lot of the bitterness for ECW from TNN came from. They spent $3 million promoting Roller Jam and nothing to promote ECW, yet ECW was doing 3x the rating of that show and none of the people who watched ECW wanted to watch Roller Jam. It became clear soon that TNN had no vision of ECW being anything beyond a lead-in for Roller Jam.

I enjoyed Roller Jam until they started running really bad storylines i.e. about when Kenneth Loge appeared. Amy Craig :wub:

There has been some talk in this thread about if RVD won the World title then gave up the TV title then they could have a tournament for the vacant belt. For those of you who argue that ECW didn't have the talent to pull off a tournament, remember that when RVD got hurt and had to give up the belt they ended up having a tournament anyway. Plus, about holding two singles titles at the same time, I know this was the night ECW folded but Rhino was the TV champion then won the World title to become the last champion of both belts.

Now that I think of it, RVD lost all momentum in the last year of ECW. He gave up the TV title due to injury, came back and finally jobbed to Lynn (with a Scotty Anton heel turn). Then he dicked around feuding with Anton in the Summer of 2000, mostly notable for introducing the Van Terminator. After that he failed to get back the TV title from Rhino, and then basically left the company by late 2000 due to not being paid.

That RVD injury in March 2000 was really the death knell on ECW. It's like things snowballed from there and Heyman just did bad move after bad move, from bringing back Taz to beat Awesome only to see Taz get buried on WWF TV with the ECW belt, to Justin Credible's flop of a title run, to not doing much with RVD once he got back from injury.

I really liked ECW on TNN. If I could find a way to rewatch all that stuff I totally would, if only for Corino and Mikey/Tajiri/Sinister Minister.

What was the deal with Scotty Anton anyway? The guy was always talentless, when he was Buff Bagwell's life partner to when he was One Eyed Anton taking on Raven and then joining the Flock to his ECW run. Even during his run in ECW, I just never understood why this guy had a job.

But hey. He did have The Clap!

What was the deal with Scotty Anton anyway? The guy was always talentless, when he was Buff Bagwell's life partner to when he was One Eyed Anton taking on Raven and then joining the Flock to his ECW run. Even during his run in ECW, I just never understood why this guy had a job.

But hey. He did have The Clap!

I wanted that RVD/Anton feud over with as soon as it began.

Oddly enough, Anton was one of RVD's friends.