TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Obi Chris Kenobi

What will be the worst movie of 2009?

Apparantly it's Dragonball and not Dragonball Z, but it still looks like ass and that it has nothing to do with the actual dragonball universe outside of having a guy with spiky hair and some orbs that just happened to be named dragon balls.

How come it has nothing to do with the Dragonball universe? Isn't it going to be the story of Goku and the gang that was told in the Dragonball cartoons? Of course, he does look nothing like kid Goku. I'd prefer a Dragonball Z movie to it as well. I think it's a movie I might end up liking just cause. Like Mortal Kombat.

It does have something to do with the Dragonball Universe.. it has the characters and the Dragonballs.. but it just doesn't follow the same plot as the anime. And why would it follow the exact same canon of the anime? When does a live action version of a cartoon, videogame, comic ever follow exact canon? Hardly ever. I still don't understand why people get upset about that. It's movie canon, it's going to be different, get over it. Also, it's called Dragonball: Evolution.

Apparantly it's Dragonball and not Dragonball Z, but it still looks like ass and that it has nothing to do with the actual dragonball universe outside of having a guy with spiky hair and some orbs that just happened to be named dragon balls.

How come it has nothing to do with the Dragonball universe? Isn't it going to be the story of Goku and the gang that was told in the Dragonball cartoons? Of course, he does look nothing like kid Goku. I'd prefer a Dragonball Z movie to it as well. I think it's a movie I might end up liking just cause. Like Mortal Kombat.

It does have something to do with the Dragonball Universe.. it has the characters and the Dragonballs.. but it just doesn't follow the same plot as the anime. And why would it follow the exact same canon of the anime? When does a live action version of a cartoon, videogame, comic ever follow exact canon? Hardly ever. I still don't understand why people get upset about that. It's movie canon, it's going to be different, get over it. Also, it's called Dragonball: Evolution.

I agree. Look at Dark Knight for an example. It is so different from The Long Halloween (the story that inspired it), they don't even bother saying it was based off of it.

On the other hand, the Dragonball trailer is so awful it makes it look like an Uwe Boll movie, so I don't exactly have high hopes for it for different reasons. The Dragonball anime won't work in live action without changes. You can't have a little kid getting the crap kicked out of him by grown men, aliens and demons without it being simply disturbing. And that's without the talking animals and dinosaurs.

Yeah, if you look at the poster picture posted earlier it says so. It also looks like someone has Photoshopped the word 'funniest' out of the tagline too haha.

No, the movie is by the Wayans Bros.

I'm giving my vote to Mall Cop, although I have a feeling it will get a decent box office from children, alone. My girlfriend's nephew and niece are begging her to take them to see it.

Nah, the movie's already getting medicore reviews.

I agree. Look at Dark Knight for an example. It is so different from The Long Halloween (the story that inspired it), they don't even bother saying it was based off of it.

On the other hand, the Dragonball trailer is so awful it makes it look like an Uwe Boll movie, so I don't exactly have high hopes for it for different reasons. The Dragonball anime won't work in live action without changes. You can't have a little kid getting the crap kicked out of him by grown men, aliens and demons without it being simply disturbing. And that's without the talking animals and dinosaurs.

If they make a film that has the Videl / Spopovich fight in it, I'm there. Otherwise, not so much.

I am interested to see how Marsters does Piccolo though, but I'll wait until it's on TV next year.

When does a live action version of a cartoon, videogame, comic ever follow exact canon? Hardly ever. I still don't understand why people get upset about that. It's movie canon, it's going to be different, get over it.

I'm not gonna get over it, because it's a stupid decision to change it in the first place. It defeats the entire commercial purpose of adapting a currently-existing property. Why do you adapt or remake something that already exists into a new movie? Because you want to draw upon that pool of fans of the original product which is already out there. It's a ready-made audience whom you can count on to see your movie. But, when you change everything that these fans liked about the original product, what's the point of seeing the film? Why intentionally fuck with the product in order to piss off the fanboys, when the entire reason the movie was made is because you want those fanboys to buy tickets?

It is possible to adapt something, make changes, and still remain faithful to the spirit of the material. The Dark Knight is a horrible example for why adaptations should include a lot of change, since they barely changed anything from the comics. Compared to every other Batman movie ever, it's the closest to the original inspiration. And hey guess what, people liked it! Same thing with Lord of the Rings. Sure there were some minor changes, there have to be in order to get it off the page and onto the screen. But they were minor changes, the least amount of changes they could've possibly done. And hey guess what, people liked it!

"It's a movie, it's gonna be different" is bad reasoning when there's no reason for it to be different. How many movies have you seen which were made from comics or video games which radically altered the material and still ended up being any good? The cinema's recent history is littered with trash ranging from Super Mario Bros. to Ghost Rider, crap which got made that way due to the mentality of "it's just comics/games, kid's stuff, nobody cares". It's an arrogant and contemptuous attitude towards the very people they're theoretically marketing these movies towards. It's the exact operating theory of one Uwe Boll. And really, do you wanna share thought patterns with Uwe Boll?

(All this being said, "a live-action Dragonball movie" already sounds like a spectacularly bad idea just on paper, and I couldn't imagine Spielberg, Scorsese, or anyone turning it into something watchable. Some properties were not meant to be adapted.)

wait, this is the piece of shit Marvin is excited to see? Man, I'm disappointed in you, Chiwetel.

Im a sucker for these big budget special effects driven disaster movies, so sue me.

I can name at least 5 movies that will be worse than 2012, but I'll nominate the 3 Stooges Movie the Farrelly Brothers are doing that supposedly will be released in November, as its a disaster waiting to happen.

If they make a film that has the Videl / Spopovich fight in it, I'm there. Otherwise, not so much.

I am interested to see how Marsters does Piccolo though, but I'll wait until it's on TV next year.

Hah, I remember that. It was one of the most disturbing fights from the series, especially with Gohan having to watch his girlfriend be nearly beat to death. If this does well, and a sequel gets made, I hope they jump into Goku vs Vegeta. That would at least be a fun special effects showcase.

wait, this is the piece of shit Marvin is excited to see? Man, I'm disappointed in you, Chiwetel.

Im a sucker for these big budget special effects driven disaster movies, so sue me.

I can name at least 5 movies that will be worse than 2012, but I'll nominate the 3 Stooges Movie the Farrelly Brothers are doing that supposedly will be released in November, as its a disaster waiting to happen.

Is that the one where some chicks from SNL play the grand daughters of the Stooges? If so... that's gonna be pretty bad.

Hah, I remember that. It was one of the most disturbing fights from the series, especially with Gohan having to watch his girlfriend be nearly beat to death. If this does well, and a sequel gets made, I hope they jump into Goku vs Vegeta. That would at least be a fun special effects showcase.

I just watched it for the first time in probably 7 years or so yesterday, it's still pretty cringe-worthy.

Also, I had no idea there was a new DBZ animated special - http://www.jumpland.com/animetour/db/index_en.html

Is that the one where some chicks from SNL play the grand daughters of the Stooges? If so... that's gonna be pretty bad.

Last I heard is that the concept will be a 3 Stooges Original Short updated for Modern Times except they wont be the original 3 Stooges (they'll have different names and personalities), if that makes a lick of sense. The whole thing is being sold on the premise that 3 Stooges slapstick comedy is right down the Farrelly Bros alley, but why the hell do they have to use 3 Stooges for this ?

There's been no cast information released, but I can't imagine what cast they could have that would make it better than absolute shit.

Here is the winner, or rather loser. FIRED UP!, the trailer looks fucking horrible.

I saw the trailer for this in the theaters, the first thing I thought was that they should have just ponied up the extra $50, and gotten the America Pie name attached to this movie.

::checks it out::

Ooooh, two of the schmucks from The Whitest Kids U Know writing, directing, and starring in their own movie, with THAT plot? We do indeed have a strong early contender here.

...though not quite, y'know, Dragonball strong. My GOD that movie still looks awful to a truly mind-boggling degree.

The Whitest Kids are best in 2 minute skits, and even then it's the same kind of jokes over and over again. I don't think their comedy would work over the course of a full length film.

'Dance Flick' looks like the winner. is it from the makes of not another teen movie, epic movie, date movie, and all those other shitty "spoofs"?

I'll only be willing to give "Dance Flick" the benefit of the doubt purely because Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer will have nothing to do with this.

Guys I've seen 2012 and trust me its one to avoid. I won't ruin it for anybody who wants to see it but I'll just say its short on the disaster and big on a message of Christianity view at your own risk

New In Town

For a second I thought you were calling Masked Heel new in town, then I realized that you were talking about that shitty Rene Zellwigger movie.

Had a twisted thought.

If by some miracle Dragonball does well in theaters and a sequel or two are greenlit...I know who could do the voice for Frieza (assuming they go the Silver Surfer route for him)

Tim Curry.

Here is the winner, or rather loser. FIRED UP!, the trailer looks fucking horrible.

I saw the trailer for this in the theaters, the first thing I thought was that they should have just ponied up the extra $50, and gotten the America Pie name attached to this movie.

I saw this trailer as well, then immediately turned to my friend and said "If this isn't rated R, there's no point."

Well, it's not, and there isn't.

It's apparently not connected to the Leah Remini "Fired Up!" TV vehicle from years ago either, so that's pretty misleading.

Fired Up was more of a vehicle for Sharon Lawrence. Either way, they lived in a cool looking apartment