TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Obi Chris Kenobi

What will be the worst movie of 2009?

I remember this one exchange from a commercial for that show:

-'Is there any coffee?'

-'There's a coffee maker'

-'And which one of you might that be?'

After stinking up smallville for eight years, I have absolutely no faith in Kristin Kreuk as the lead in a movie.

Hey, at least streetfighter had Kylie Minogue.

Kylie was all kinds of hot in that movie.

Did anyone want to see another Street Fighter movie? And yeah, Kreuk ruined Smallville all by herself...so I don't need to see her in anything else

It has to be this new Street Fighter movie, though I won't check it out until it hits DVD. Who would actually do another Street Fighter movie in the year 2009, and on top of that build it around Chun Li? But then in 1994 who thought anyone would be dumb enough to build a Street Fighter movie around a Belgian guy playing the very American Guile? It's like no producer grasps the notion that Ken and Ryu are the main guys on the game that carry it.

Just wondering but why is Chris Klein supposed to be so horrible in it? As in what does he do?

After stinking up smallville for eight years, I have absolutely no faith in Kristin Kreuk as the lead in a movie.

Hey, at least streetfighter had Kylie Minogue.

Kylie was all kinds of hot in that movie.

Did anyone want to see another Street Fighter movie? And yeah, Kreuk ruined Smallville all by herself...so I don't need to see her in anything else

I'm pretty sure the writers forcing Kreuk into every damn scene and always making her the center of attention ruined Smallville just as much as (if not more than) Kreuk herself.

It has to be this new Street Fighter movie, though I won't check it out until it hits DVD. Who would actually do another Street Fighter movie in the year 2009, and on top of that build it around Chun Li? But then in 1994 who thought anyone would be dumb enough to build a Street Fighter movie around a Belgian guy playing the very American Guile? It's like no producer grasps the notion that Ken and Ryu are the main guys on the game that carry it.

Just wondering but why is Chris Klein supposed to be so horrible in it? As in what does he do?

Here's a clip of his performance. He seems to be really overacting, like, to a ridiculous extent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWGysz8XU90

Guest Smues

Boxofficemojo has Street Fighter making $1.7 million last night, so unless it had a budget of sticks and leaves its going to lose somebody a lot of money. I'll do my part to help them though, because this looks so bad I have to see it, and I can't imagine it lasting in theaters very long.

Boxofficemojo has Street Fighter making $1.7 million last night, so unless it had a budget of sticks and leaves its going to lose somebody a lot of money. I'll do my part to help them though, because this looks so bad I have to see it, and I can't imagine it lasting in theaters very long.

Wikipedia has it listed with a budget of $60 million. Who the hell green lit this project with such a big budget. Also, it was only a few days ago I realized that Kristin Kreuk was playing Chun Li. Apparently she is half Asian, but she sure looks like a run of the mill white girl with a small bit of Asian in her. Horrible casting decision on a number of fronts for this epic piece of fail.

Here's a clip of his performance. He seems to be really overacting, like, to a ridiculous extent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWGysz8XU90

Yep, I'm totally seeing this at a matinee showing in the future. Looks hilariously bad.

$60 million!!! How in the blue hell did this movie get greenlit? Thats a very good question. I too have also found it really embarrassing that Hollywood can't figure out that Ken and Ryu are the main characters in the street fighter universe. I mean the guys are the center of the commercials and poster art for the games, but yet Hollywood can't figure it out, or maybe they don't care, I don't know. Also, what is Michael Clarke Duncan doing in this movie? Is he really that hard up for money?

Guest Smues

It's official, I'm seeing this tonight. My wife just sent me a text message asking if I'd want to go see Street Fighter with her tonight. Boy are those going to be famous last words. I can't wait. At least the Mortal Kombat franchise was able to put out one good movie. Street Fighter really should stop trying.

I would totally go see this in the theater if it was playing around here, but it's not. Definately gives me the vibe of being so bad it's good.

For what it's worth, so far this year the worst movie I've seen is easily Underworld 3.

Did Fox put out both this new Street Fighter movie AND that upcoming Dragonball movie as well? God, what horrible releases for a studio!

Yep. Another winner for Tom Rothman!

Did Fox put out both this new Street Fighter movie AND that upcoming Dragonball movie as well? God, what horrible releases for a studio!

That's misleading, since they basically just served as the distributor, it was Hyde Park who handled the production

That's misleading, since they basically just served as the distributor, it was Hyde Park who handled the production

Oh well. He's still got Wolverine and Dragonball to ruin.

Guest Smues

Just got back. For those expecting or hoping for it to be like the first Street Fighter movie you'll be in for a disappointment. It's not really so bad it's enjoyable, it's just bad. Oh sure it's got some enjoyable awfulness, like Klein's acting, but for the most part it is just a bad movie. The plot is bad, the dialog is bad, the acting is bad, and the editing and pacing is terrible. In a normal movie something happens, which then causes something else to happen, which then causes something else to happen. In Street Fighter there's a lot of times where something happens, and then something else happens but it doesn't really have any relation to the previous scene. It just keeps cutting to new scenes with no flow or reason.

And then there's Bison. Raul Julia looked like Bison, and he hammed the role up perfectly. Take Julia away from the first Street Fighter movie and I highly doubt it has near the cult status that it does. Bison is this movie is an evil evil evil guy sure, but he's boring and unmemorable. Oh and very Irish. I can't say I ever figured Bison to be Irish when playing Street Fighter 2, but I was a pretty stupid kid. And having just gotten back form the movie I can't really remember any particular bad lines, so this Bison doesn't even have that going for him, unlike Julia.

Duncan was as good a choice as any for Balrog, although this crap is so beneath him I hope they had to pay him a LOT of money to get him involved in this turdburger. Vega could have been a good choice for a character to be in the movie but he was completely wasted. And his mask looked pretty lame when we got a closeup look at it. And is Nash a character in the Street Fighter universe? That was Chris Klein's character, and they could have removed him and the chick that worked with him completely from the movie and you wouldn't feel like anything was missing. What a waste.

And no, Chun Li faking lesbianism doesn't save the movie. That should tell you something.

Spoiler stuff:

God was the pacing so poor in this thing. Like I said it would just cut from scene to scene to scene with no flow what so ever. Because this movie was so forgettable I don't even remember many examples of this an hour later, but there was one that stuck in my head. Chun Li is traumatized as a kid as she sees her father beaten and kidnapped in front of her. Then when shes older she learns he's alive and wants nothing more than to rescue him and get revenge on Bison. Eventually she finally finds her dad and they have a brief tearful reunion. Then Bison snaps her dad's neck right in front of her and leaves. So obviously Chin Li is angry and grief strucken right? You would think this would make her snap and have nothing on her mind but killing Bison and lots of anger. Well she escapes, gets shot, and magically Gen, who was supposedly killed earlier walks out and takes her home. When she comes to she NEVER ASKS WHERE THE HELL GEN WAS. Not once. Ok then, maybe she's mad that he ran off instead of helping her save her father? Nope. No questions, no angry, she's just as happy as a school girl now. There is literally no transition from "Chun Li watches her dad's neck snapped in front of her" to "Chun Li is happy happy happy." It's ridiculous.

And Gen, dear god. He's dead! No wait here he is just fine. Oh wait Bison kicked the shit out of him, he might not be dead but he's in a bad way. Oh wait no here he is ambushing Bison again good as new. Ok now he's dead! Oh wait nope he's fine yelling at Chun Li "You know what you have to do!" Which is of course, shoot a fireball at Bison. A fireball that Chun Li struggled to be able to make earlier in the movie, whilst Gen could make them with ease. So...why in the holy fuck did Gen never shoot one at Bison? He had the element of surprise on him, use your fucking fireball dude. Or at least the bicycle kick dude, it worked on Shang Tsung.

And after 90+ minutes of the movie not really doing anything to appeal to anyone, including Street Fighter fans, all of a sudden at the end they try to suckup to the fans and name drop Ryu, and a world tournament of fighters. Wow that sure makes up for the rest of the movie. Oh wait no, no it doesn't. And when Gen shows Chun Li the newspaper with the ad for the tournament, he implies that Bison is behind it. Umm, yeah, see here's the problem, when Chun Li hit Bison with that fireball he neck snapped around 180 degrees. His chest is facing straight up, his head is facing straight down. He's DOA dead. Fuck you movie.

Oh, and Bison's backstory was pretty awful. He was EVIL! but not evil enough, so he discovered a way to remove his conscience by transferring it to his newborn baby girl. Apparantly killing his wife in the process. So ok now he's 100% grade-A evil. Why did he not kill the kid? And why does he protect the kid and 'his daughter is his only weakness?' Seems to me if he removed all the good from inside himself he wouldn't give a shit about the kid and would kill her like he kills everyone else.

So like I said, don't go to this expecting an instant classic like the first one, this is just forgettable bad. Without much if anything in the way of redeeming value. Well, there was one line I remember. Chris Klein yelling "It's a bomb everybody get out!" as he slow motion jumps away from an explosion action hero style. I think that's sound advice to the audience. It's a bomb, get out while you still can.

Great review. I think everyone can certainly agree with the assessment of the first SF (really, I feel like it wasn't as much M. Bison that Raul Julia was playing, but a more evil Gomez Adams), and this one sounds fucking horrifying. Here's a question though: Is it worth even a download to say "I saw how shitty this movie was"?

Guest Smues

Yeah I'd say it's worth a download, just as long as you know what you're getting.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the fights scenes. Don't expect them to redeem the movie, they're no good.

I knew the movie was in trouble from the trailers:

Old asian guy shoots fireball and jumps

Michael Clarke Duncan yells

Guy in mask holds up fist

A person who might be a woman shoots a fireball at the screen

STREET FIGHTER: The Legend of Chun-Li!

Nothing like promoting a Chun-Li movie and not showing Chun-Li at all. Course when you get a doesn't really look asian even though she is skinny white girl to play the role of Chun-Li, you probably want to hide her as much as possible.

Just got back. For those expecting or hoping for it to be like the first Street Fighter movie you'll be in for a disappointment. It's not really so bad it's enjoyable, it's just bad. Oh sure it's got some enjoyable awfulness, like Klein's acting, but for the most part it is just a bad movie. The plot is bad, the dialog is bad, the acting is bad, and the editing and pacing is terrible. In a normal movie something happens, which then causes something else to happen, which then causes something else to happen. In Street Fighter there's a lot of times where something happens, and then something else happens but it doesn't really have any relation to the previous scene. It just keeps cutting to new scenes with no flow or reason.

And then there's Bison. Raul Julia looked like Bison, and he hammed the role up perfectly. Take Julia away from the first Street Fighter movie and I highly doubt it has near the cult status that it does. Bison is this movie is an evil evil evil guy sure, but he's boring and unmemorable. Oh and very Irish. I can't say I ever figured Bison to be Irish when playing Street Fighter 2, but I was a pretty stupid kid. And having just gotten back form the movie I can't really remember any particular bad lines, so this Bison doesn't even have that going for him, unlike Julia.

Duncan was as good a choice as any for Balrog, although this crap is so beneath him I hope they had to pay him a LOT of money to get him involved in this turdburger. Vega could have been a good choice for a character to be in the movie but he was completely wasted. And his mask looked pretty lame when we got a closeup look at it. And is Nash a character in the Street Fighter universe? That was Chris Klein's character, and they could have removed him and the chick that worked with him completely from the movie and you wouldn't feel like anything was missing. What a waste.

And no, Chun Li faking lesbianism doesn't save the movie. That should tell you something.

Spoiler stuff:

God was the pacing so poor in this thing. Like I said it would just cut from scene to scene to scene with no flow what so ever. Because this movie was so forgettable I don't even remember many examples of this an hour later, but there was one that stuck in my head. Chun Li is traumatized as a kid as she sees her father beaten and kidnapped in front of her. Then when shes older she learns he's alive and wants nothing more than to rescue him and get revenge on Bison. Eventually she finally finds her dad and they have a brief tearful reunion. Then Bison snaps her dad's neck right in front of her and leaves. So obviously Chin Li is angry and grief strucken right? You would think this would make her snap and have nothing on her mind but killing Bison and lots of anger. Well she escapes, gets shot, and magically Gen, who was supposedly killed earlier walks out and takes her home. When she comes to she NEVER ASKS WHERE THE HELL GEN WAS. Not once. Ok then, maybe she's mad that he ran off instead of helping her save her father? Nope. No questions, no angry, she's just as happy as a school girl now. There is literally no transition from "Chun Li watches her dad's neck snapped in front of her" to "Chun Li is happy happy happy." It's ridiculous.

And Gen, dear god. He's dead! No wait here he is just fine. Oh wait Bison kicked the shit out of him, he might not be dead but he's in a bad way. Oh wait no here he is ambushing Bison again good as new. Ok now he's dead! Oh wait nope he's fine yelling at Chun Li "You know what you have to do!" Which is of course, shoot a fireball at Bison. A fireball that Chun Li struggled to be able to make earlier in the movie, whilst Gen could make them with ease. So...why in the holy fuck did Gen never shoot one at Bison? He had the element of surprise on him, use your fucking fireball dude. Or at least the bicycle kick dude, it worked on Shang Tsung.

And after 90+ minutes of the movie not really doing anything to appeal to anyone, including Street Fighter fans, all of a sudden at the end they try to suckup to the fans and name drop Ryu, and a world tournament of fighters. Wow that sure makes up for the rest of the movie. Oh wait no, no it doesn't. And when Gen shows Chun Li the newspaper with the ad for the tournament, he implies that Bison is behind it. Umm, yeah, see here's the problem, when Chun Li hit Bison with that fireball he neck snapped around 180 degrees. His chest is facing straight up, his head is facing straight down. He's DOA dead. Fuck you movie.

Oh, and Bison's backstory was pretty awful. He was EVIL! but not evil enough, so he discovered a way to remove his conscience by transferring it to his newborn baby girl. Apparantly killing his wife in the process. So ok now he's 100% grade-A evil. Why did he not kill the kid? And why does he protect the kid and 'his daughter is his only weakness?' Seems to me if he removed all the good from inside himself he wouldn't give a shit about the kid and would kill her like he kills everyone else.

So like I said, don't go to this expecting an instant classic like the first one, this is just forgettable bad. Without much if anything in the way of redeeming value. Well, there was one line I remember. Chris Klein yelling "It's a bomb everybody get out!" as he slow motion jumps away from an explosion action hero style. I think that's sound advice to the audience. It's a bomb, get out while you still can.

So wait, they actually

set up a sequel by saying that there's a fighting tournament, and Ryu is in it, and that Bison is behind it, and they instead for a reboot of the franchise, make a horrible movie about Chun-Li??? What the hell were they thinking?