TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

Literature folder

Is TSM mature enough to talk about real books?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best scenario?

• Keep Comics folder, add Literature folder
    • Delete Comics, add Literature
    • Keep it the way it is

Well, we are voting on everything else so I figured why not. Spring cleaning comes early at TSM, I guess.

I don't think we are asking much to expand the existing comics folder to a discussion of all literature.

Make it both again, for the hell of it. For everyone talking about the Comic folder and its two threads of activity, it used to be the Lit folder, and the only active threads were the comics threads and the ginormous Harry Potter thread.

There's more to literature than books. There should be a place to talk about things like philosophy, poetry, blogs, religious epics, essays, scientific journals, short stories, legal decisions, political documents, and any other written works of interest.

There's more to literature than books. There should be a place to talk about things like philosophy, poetry, blogs, religious epics, essays, scientific journals, short stories, legal decisions, political documents, and any other written works of interest.

Agreed. There's a lot out there that falls under the umbrella of Lit. Hell, I subscribe to like a half dozen magazines and have always been looking for a place to discuss them with fellow posters.

To respond to Inc, my hope is that we've come far enough in our evolution that we can have a Lit folder now. Just because it failed last time doesn't mean it will this time around.

The comics folder used to also be for literature until a thread was created in general chat for no reason.

I don't go to the comics folder, but if the posters in the comics folder enjoy the status quo, let them keep on rocking

If you do create a literature folder then keep it separate. People will just carry on posting about comic books if you merge them, and discussion of any other kind of literature shall get drowned out.

In addition to my previous point about the diversity of literature, I wish to add that it would be good to see more in-depth, analytical discussion instead of the current 'I like/don't like Book X' formula that we see in the thread 'Book recommendations.'

As an example of what I envision, imagine the following comment in the hypothetical thread 'Barack Obama's books' in the prospective Literature folder:

"I read an interesting article in The Daily Telegraph today that wrote that Mr. Obama is sending back a bronze bust of Winston Churchill that London had loaned to former President G. W. Bush—despite that London didn't ask for it back. Evidently, Mr. Obama's reasoning relates to what he mentions about his grandfather Onyango on pages 417–418 of Dreams from My Father. Churchill was PM during the Mau Mau Uprising, and Onyango was put on a list of KANU supporters—leading the British to mistreat him in a detention camp for six months until he finally received a hearing and was declared innocent. I would guess that that incident had some influence on Mr. Obama's seriousness about closing the Guantanamo prison and restoring habeas corpus."

In addition to my previous point about the diversity of literature, I wish to add that it would be good to see more in-depth, analytical discussion instead of the current 'I like/don't like Book X' formula that we see in the thread 'Book recommendations.'

As an example of what I envision, imagine the following comment in the hypothetical thread 'Barack Obama's books' in the prospective Literature folder:

"I read an interesting article in The Daily Telegraph today that wrote that Mr. Obama is sending back a bronze bust of Winston Churchill that London had loaned to former President G. W. Bush—despite that London didn't ask for it back. Evidently, Mr. Obama's reasoning relates to what he mentions about his grandfather Onyango on pages 417–418 of Dreams from My Father. Churchill was PM during the Mau Mau Uprising, and Onyango was put on a list of KANU supporters—leading the British to mistreat him in a detention camp for six months until he finally received a hearing and was declared innocent. I would guess that that incident had some influence on Mr. Obama's seriousness about closing the Guantanamo prison and restoring habeas corpus."

You expect way too much out of this forum.

I find the comic book forum occasionally useful if I feel like reading comics. Just merge comics and lit together, or give them their own sections. Doesn't really hurt anything.

If you do create a literature folder then keep it separate. People will just carry on posting about comic books if you merge them, and discussion of any other kind of literature shall get drowned out.

Oh no! The one literature thread will get drowned out by the two comic book threads surrounding it!

For those who haven't noticed, there is a Literature folder now on the main page where the old Comics section was located. We're trying to build something from nothing there, so if you are interested stop by and offer suggestions, make threads and add comments.