TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thanks for the Fish

WWE / Low-Ki talk

Low-Ki debuted in FCW last night, defeating Trent "Plazma" Baretta with the Warriors Way. I believe he has a developmental deal, and was waiting to report until after tour in Japan was finished. I wonder what name/gimmick he'll end up with and if he runs with it or balks and is released. Mysterio and MVP have been pushing for his signing, and Mysterio even went so far as to come up with storylines for him, one involving Low-Ki becoming a heel Mysterio imposter.

Mysterio has certain clout in that he has yet to sign his contract extension, meaning the wwe wants to keep him happy. Also the wwe has few Latino/spanish speaking wrestlers and Mysterio is good with the kids which is a target demographic these days.

Low-Ki doesn't need developmental time really, other than maybe getting used to the wwe rings. However it's never been his ring work that has stopped him from getting signed by the wwe, but rather backstage/attitude issues. He's seen as a guy who lives his gimmick and is pretty anti-social with the boys, and that will rub a lot of people the wrong way as the boys want deference from the rookies and Low-Ki doesn't see himself as a rookie.

Low-Ki wants this, so I expect him to be on his best behavior, but one can only act that part for so long - especially with the lockerroom antics some in the wwe like to pull.

Low-Ki debuted in FCW last night, defeating Trent "Plazma" Baretta with the Warriors Way.

I still can't believe this kid got signed. I remember training with him when he was 18.

Long Island represent!

"Can't believe" in that he sucks/why did the wwe sign this guy or "can't believe" in that "who would have thought all those years ago that he'd be where he is now" kind of way? I think Baretta is pretty good and could eventually see him in the wwe.

I never would have thought he would be where he is now. He had amazing agility back when he was 18, but he was just a spot monkey back then.

I can't believe (in that they suck/why did the wwe sign these guys way) that Ryder and Hawkins are still employed.

Low-Ki debuted at FCW tonight with the name "Kawal".

That name is horrible.

What's wrong with just calling him "Low-Ki?" I'm assuming most WWE fans on the 'net have at least heard of him by now.

The wwe doesn't own the copyright and Low-Ki isn't selling it. CM Punk was lucky enough to be called up when Heyman was booking. I suspect there could be crowd issues, with "Low-Ki" being chanted during his matches as he's as well known as any indie wrestler can be these days.

Is Low-Ki not a play on Loki, another name for the devil? I thought that was the idea, not "low key."

From his wiki -

Silvestry(Low-Ki) admits that the name "Low Ki", originally spelled Low-Key, came from the lyrics of the song, No Diggity.

Is Low-Ki not a play on Loki, another name for the devil? I thought that was the idea, not "low key."

From his wiki -

Silvestry(Low-Ki) admits that the name "Low Ki", originally spelled Low-Key, came from the lyrics of the song, No Diggity.

HAH! Yes! Another reason for the change could probably be WWE doesn't want any more trouble from Marvel comics. I believe they have a Loki character. Though, with it simply being the name of a Norse God, I'm not sure of the legalities surrounding that.

There's no way Marvel could copyright Loki unless he came out ot the ring in green tights and golden horns or something. It'd be like trying to copyright Jesus or Santa Claus.

Marvel would have no grounds to stand on, since Loki is a god from the Viking days. I do find it funny that instead of it being a tribute to that, that his name came from "No Diggity."

Perhaps he should change his name to "Jobber" cuz that's what hell likely be doing if WWE every calls him up.

At least he has a job, I'm soon to be unemployed.

But on the bright side this is my 5,500th post woohoo.

Perhaps he should change his name to "Jobber" cuz that's what hell likely be doing if WWE every calls him up.

It depends. Given his size, he's surely going to do a lot more jobs than he's ever done in his career, however if the wwe runs with the Mysterio storyline, he'll get a huge push upon his debut. And if he starts being jobbed out he'll quit on a moments notice. He gets himself over wherever he goes, certainly has a quiet charisma about him and offers the fans something different. I just don't know if being a fake Filipino is the way to go with him.

On a side note - why doesn't Vladimir Kozlov wear this badass looking singlet rather than the diaper looking tightie whities.

200px-Oleg_Prudius_in_2007.jpg

On a side note - why doesn't Vladimir Kozlov wear this badass looking singlet rather than the daiper looking tightie whities.

Because WWE wants half the roster to look the same.

It depends. Given his size, he's surely going to do a lot more jobs than he's ever done in his career, however if the wwe runs with the Mysterio storyline, he'll get a huge push upon his debut. And if he starts being jobbed out he'll quit on a moments notice. He gets himself over wherever he goes, certainly has a quiet charisma about him and offers the fans something different. I just don't know if being a fake Filipino is the way to go with him.

On a side note - why doesn't Vladimir Kozlov wear this badass looking singlet rather than the diaper looking tightie whities.

200px-Oleg_Prudius_in_2007.jpg

I would instantly become a Kozlov fan if he wore that or any USSR inspired attire.

Maybe because he doesn't want to be a commie? Also the USSR is dead. Actually Kozlov isn't Russian, he's Ukranian. But for the sake of average American fans he's close enough since he comes from a neighbouring country and can speak Russian. Also I reckon Kozlov is a badass, espcially when he's wearing his t-shirt/Jean combination. I haven't seen too much of Low-Ki though, but he seems pretty good from what I've seen of him. I still think Punk is lucky enough to be allowed to wrestle under his indie name that WWE can't copyright, considering any name they'd think up for him would suck in comparison. Why do they have a copyright fetish anyway?

Maybe because he doesn't want to be a commie? Also the USSR is dead. Actually Kozlov isn't Russian, he's Ukranian. But for the sake of average American fans he's close enough since he comes from a neighbouring country and can speak Russian. Also I reckon Kozlov is a badass, espcially when he's wearing his t-shirt/Jean combination.

Dude, are you serious?

I haven't seen too much of Low-Ki though, but he seems pretty good from what I've seen of him. I still think Punk is lucky enough to be allowed to wrestle under his indie name that WWE can't copyright, considering any name they'd think up for him would suck in comparison. Why do they have a copyright fetish anyway?

The reason WWE copyrights/trademarks peoples names is because once a wrestler gets some kind of tv exposure they get known really quick. Jobber or not, if someone is used on tv for 3 consecutive weeks, win, lose, or draw, the wrestler's name/gimmick gets known and fast. So what WWE basically does, is that they trademark/copyright a name, to prevent some random indy promotion advertising said wrestler WWE created and make a bunch of ticket sales off him or her.

The heartthrobs did this as soon as they got released. Even though they weren't shit in the WWE at all except for some lame male stripper gimmick, who won and lost a few matches here and there. After they were released, some random ass indy promotion was using them to sell tickets.

That and the WWE doesn't give two shits on who anyone might be before they come to the WWE, unless you were a GIANT name for a promotion that is on tv. When you come to the WWE, you're going to become their product. Some people get really lucky, and the WWE likes their name and gimmick and lets them keep either their name or gimmick, trademark or not but if they don't, guess what, they don't give two shits.

Colt Cabana is a great example. Colt is known on the indy level as being a good, well known, comic wrestler but yet WWE changed his name and gimmick, cause his past doesn't matter to them. What matters is what they can do with the guy.

It's just the way WWE does business and it's a very smart thing for them to do.

Exactly. If WWE spends their money and time building up a character (creating a gimmick, selling merchandise, and giving you TV time), it would be downright stupid of them to let you leave the company and be able to use their work to make money for yourself. Or, even worse, you could jump to a rival promotion and work under a name and gimmick WWE created.

I would personally expect the name to be spelled Kiwol so it's not too much of a stretch from his existing gimmick name. I could see Ki agreeing to that rather than getting a THIRD completely different gimmick name.

Sometimes the wwe lets talent keep their names if they want to build off of their amateur credentials - Lesnar, Benjamin, Haas and of course Kurt Angle at the time, or to build off of familial connections - Randy Orton, Ted Dibiase, Cody Rhodes etc. I don;t know why John Cena was allowed to keep his real name, I wonder if creative didn;t think he'd make it or something, or it was at the period of time where they didn't care about trademarking. CM Punk lucked out that Heyman wanted him called up and wanted to use his indie fanbase to help get him over, also Mike Knox for that matter, probably a case of Vince not paying enough attention to ECW at the time. Shad Gaspard, Brian Kendrick were lucky enough to keep their real names as well. It gives them certain leverage in the future and will probably make them more money both in the wwe and should they leave to work indies.

I don't think it really got to the point where everyone was changing their name and being assigned different names until around 2005. The first ones I really remember sticking out is when all three Dudleys were released and because the WWE owned all the trademarks now, they couldn't use the names they built in another promotion. Spike Dudley wrote some angry blogs about it.

Exactly. If WWE spends their money and time building up a character (creating a gimmick, selling merchandise, and giving you TV time), it would be downright stupid of them to let you leave the company and be able to use their work to make money for yourself. Or, even worse, you could jump to a rival promotion and work under a name and gimmick WWE created.

I would personally expect the name to be spelled Kiwol so it's not too much of a stretch from his existing gimmick name. I could see Ki agreeing to that rather than getting a THIRD completely different gimmick name.

I don't see why WWE would be concerned about rival promotions. As much as we'd like to, TNA, ROH and the like will almost never compete with WWE barring a massive failure on WWE's part.

Maybe because he doesn't want to be a commie? Also the USSR is dead. Actually Kozlov isn't Russian, he's Ukranian. But for the sake of average American fans he's close enough since he comes from a neighbouring country and can speak Russian. Also I reckon Kozlov is a badass, espcially when he's wearing his t-shirt/Jean combination.

Dude, are you serious?

Scroby I'm fucking serious. Kozlov is a badass, being a commie on tv would upset Putin who would wage World War 3(pun not intended) because Russia aren't commies and yes Kozlov is Ukranian.