TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

Barack Obama Circle Jerk?

Keeping this stupid thread open and closing the separate topic made for Inauguration Day was a bad move. It's funny that the mods say they don't want mega-threads, but that policy doesn't really hold when it doesn't fit their own interests.

Quite simply, I forgot to close the circle-jerk thread yesterday. I said I was going to, and I didn't. My fault.

Now everyone started talking about the inauguration today.

I thought it was best to not close something in which people were already talking about the inauguration.

I'm not going to go off on another mega-thread tangent, but I did find the act of closing a thread-worthy topic to be somewhat suspicious. This whole area of the board is supposedly for feedback to the mods (since the Ombudsman thing is a joke), so I requested feedback. Maybe I just have my panties in a bunch this morning, but I find the Barack thread unnecessary and the name ridiculous.

Fair enough, but I don't care that it was my topic that was closed. It's just that there was obviously a need for one and the fact that it was overlooked bothered me a bit. I've said it before, I like the mods a lot, but the fact we can't get one of the 14 to be somewhat proactive about this sort of thing irks me.

So 909 explained what happened, but I still think he could have siphoned off the few posts that were going in the Circle Jerk thread and put them in their own topic, be it mine or someone else's.

I looked at the inauguration thread and wondered how on earth it was already at 20 pages. The only way I could figure was Chris Benoit rose from the dead and claimed the presidency for himself after german suplexing all two million people present for the ceremonies.

I'm not going to go off on another mega-thread tangent, but I did find the act of closing a thread-worthy topic to be somewhat suspicious. This whole area of the board is supposedly for feedback to the mods (since the Ombudsman thing is a joke), so I requested feedback. Maybe I just have my panties in a bunch this morning, but I find the Barack thread unnecessary and the name ridiculous.

You hate megathreads, yet you yourself started a megathread in the sports folder. And you post in the sports folder, which is nothing but mega threads.

I didn't like that the Campaign 2008 thread was closed the minute Obama was called the winner on Election Night. Not every state had been called, and the night was still going on and the thread just up and got moved with no warning.

You hate megathreads, yet you yourself started a megathread in the sports folder. And you post in the sports folder, which is nothing but mega threads.

Thanks for pointing this out every single time I say something about mega-threads. You are absolutely right, but you don't have to point it out every chance you get.

I started a mega-thread, but didn't want it to get that way. I tried to start something new for the Winter Meetings (and was hoping to do one for free agency), but it died. I did get a mod to split out the HOF discussion. That's something. I don't have any control over folder moderation. The presence of mega-threads is not solely my doing just because I started a thread.

As for sports being all mega-threads, it kind of has to be. We have discussions going on several different sports at once. I don't know how you'd prevent confusion amongst basketball, baseball, football, college, hockey and any other sports that get discussed. It'd be great if you had some suggestions for how to get around that.

Thanks for pointing this out every single time I say something about mega-threads. You are absolutely right, but you don't have to point it out every chance you get.

I think it's hypocritical for you to constantly complain about megathreads, yet start a megathread yourself.

I started a mega-thread, but didn't want it to get that way. I tried to start something new for the Winter Meetings (and was hoping to do one for free agency), but it died. I did get a mod to split out the HOF discussion. That's something. I don't have any control over folder moderation. The presence of mega-threads is not solely my doing just because I started a thread.

I understand that, but you're only contributing to the cause that you dislike.

As for sports being all mega-threads, it kind of has to be. We have discussions going on several different sports at once. I don't know how you'd prevent confusion amongst basketball, baseball, football, college, hockey and any other sports that get discussed. It'd be great if you had some suggestions for how to get around that.

I don't understand why we cram everything into a megathread. Look at all the coaching changes in the NFL- Tony Dungy, Gruden and Shanahan don't deserve their own thread? Really? It's a judgement call I guess, but I think if people are so anti-megathreads they should be willing to start their own threads.

I think it's hypocritical for you to constantly complain about megathreads, yet start a megathread yourself.

Okay, then I'm a hypocrite.

This thread wasn't about mega-threads per se. I just wanted a reasonable explanation as to why Obama's inauguration, arguably the biggest news item in the past couple of months, couldn't have its own thread. The mods had said previously that CE was going to be watched more closely for this... and then one closed the thread! I just wanted to know why.

I don't understand why we cram everything into a megathread. Look at all the coaching changes in the NFL- Tony Dungy, Gruden and Shanahan don't deserve their own thread? Really? It's a judgement call I guess, but I think if people are so anti-megathreads they should be willing to start their own threads.

I agree with everything you just said.

"This thread wasn't about mega-threads per se. I just wanted a reasonable explanation as to why Obama's inauguration, arguably the biggest news item in the past couple of months, couldn't have its own thread"

Because one wasn't started until 10 minutes before the event when everyone who wanted to discuss it already was doing so in the thread that they like using. Not everyone hates megathreads...which is why no one else started a new thread.

"This thread wasn't about mega-threads per se. I just wanted a reasonable explanation as to why Obama's inauguration, arguably the biggest news item in the past couple of months, couldn't have its own thread"

Because one wasn't started until 10 minutes before the event when everyone who wanted to discuss it already was doing so in the thread that they like using. Not everyone hates megathreads...which is why no one else started a new thread.

Well, there had been someone asking about having a new thread on the page before the discussion started and the one I started had 90+ page views in the ten minutes it was open. We could go around and around on this, but my impression is that momentum usually wins out on new thread creation. If convo starts in one thread, nobody wants to start a new one. I still think that mods should work on this because, well, mods are supposed to "moderate" discussion. I didn't see the harm in having an Inauguration Day thread, irrespective of any conversation about megathreads.

Based on a private conversation I had with a mod outside the board I got the impression that the Inauguration didn't get its own thread simply because the mod didn't like Obama and thought it was funny to keep the conversation buried in a thread called "Barack Obama Circle Jerk." I thought that was wrong and I spoke up. It had nothing to do with my feelings about CE or megathreads in general, despite where this conversation has gone.

But, anyways, I would like to drop the whole thing. I really don't intend for Site Feedback to become the "Cheech bitches about everything" folder. This was an isolated incident and I asked for feedback. Case closed.

The only mod who doesn't like Obama is 909.

Czech too, but he's an admin.

If convo starts in one thread, nobody wants to start a new one. I still think that mods should work on this because, well, mods are supposed to "moderate" discussion.

I feel mods should stay out of CE unless absolute necessary, as voted on by the patrons of the folder.

It was me that Cheech talked to, and the reasons for not going with a separate thread for the Inauguration have been stated here. I do think that we need to do something about mega-threads. They have gotten entirely out of hand. Discussion can be steered rather than moderated. In the future, I won't close something because people are already talking about it somewhere else. That was kind of a mistake. I just didn't steer discussion in this case because I didn't want to cause a problem.

I do think that we need to do something about mega-threads.

I don't. Cheech did that poll a while back, and while he says he fucked it up, the bottom line is that posters decided they don't have a problem with mega-threads.

They have gotten entirely out of hand. Discussion can be steered rather than moderated.

The only folder they've gotten out of hand in, imo, is the sports folder, where you, VX, AOO and al all regularly frequent. How come CE always seems to be the focus, while sports is turned a blind eye.

I believe something should probably be done about that in the future as well. Those offseason threads bug me. When someone like Mark Teixeira gets signed, there should be a separate thread for it. No doubt. The big offseason threads should be for those middle to minor signings.

There are very few threads in the sports folder which warrant mega-thread status. Threads for fringe sports should get the one thread treatment, after that, nothing. So I agree. However, it isn't only up to me.

I do think that we need to do something about mega-threads.

I don't. Cheech did that poll a while back, and while he says he fucked it up, the bottom line is that posters decided they don't have a problem with mega-threads.

You're right and you're wrong. I did fuck up the poll which sort of made the final results inconclusive. Nonetheless, it was going about 50-50 anyways. I'm man enough to admit that I took a stand and the board didn't see it my way.

But, alas, that was not what this conversation was originally about. I was upset that a thread-worthy topic was closed because of what I perceived as pettiness caused by differing political views. I wanted to talk about the Inauguration and had no idea that the discussion was being held in a 20-page thread called "Barack Obama Circle Jerk." It bothered me and I aired out my grievance.

909 and I solved this off the board and we've solved it on the board. If you want to talk folder moderation and mega-threads (in sports or anywhere else) I'm game, but I don't know if this thread is the place to do it.

I'd like to see less mega-threads in sports myself. I think the problem is that people are afraid to start new threads if they don't have a strong enough opening post. As mod, I think I could do more to start new topics.

Something like "Titles or Talent" is a great prompt when there is a lack of good sports news.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I don't mind the offseason threads so much. I'm meeting it somewhere in the midde by updating the topic description thing with whatever is currently being discussed.

Guest Vitamin X

I actually really like the idea of the mega-threads at least being updated with the current topic being discussed. We'll try to keep that going.

I actually really like the idea of the mega-threads at least being updated with the current topic being discussed. We'll try to keep that going.

Why not just spin-off big news, or topics that are generating discussion into their own thread?