TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thanks for the Fish

Finish Him!

Well that and when Roberts/AA/Raven where using the DDT it wasn't used as a transitional move by bearly trained women in their matches. It's become watered down due to over exposure, kinda like the piledriver was in the mid-late 90's until it got banned/special use only, now it's considered deadly again because it's rare and sold like death.

I'm afraid one of my favorite finishers ever the DDT is forever going to be a bodyslam or vertical suplex, just a move that is there.

Yeah, but I think if someone started using the DDT as a finisher again people would still take it seriously.

And I hate Petey's Canadian Destroyer, the first time I saw it I did the typical holy shit! mark out moment, but like I said, my taste is changing and it just seems so contrived, and that the guy taking the move actually does more work than the giver that I've soured on it, and dislike it completely.

Really? Seems like the guy taking it only has to flip back on his head. Petey needs to hold him, and jump all the way.

Only if it was done in a special way, Like say Foley's double arm DDT. A regular DDT is a transitional move, period. A normal DDT just doesn't have the oh, shit! factor anymore.

The Canadian Destroyer is nice to look at, but any 4 year old can tell that it's all the other guy doing the work and making the move work.

I like Doug William's Chaos Theory

Yeah, a standard DDT lost all credibility when Torrie Wilson started using it.

Modified DDT's still have a place in wrestling, the Tornado DDT, Edge's Implant DDT, and so forth, but unless they go out of their way to sell someone's DDT as lethal the Jake Robert's standing facelock drop ain't going to be a finisher no mo.

I think, if they wanted, they could make the DDT into a credible finisher again.

Hell, a few years ago they made the Full Nelson a finisher after so long by giving it the name "The Master Lock"...

Vertebreaker

Go 2 Sleep (and any other move that involves someone getting KNEED IN THE FACE, especially if it's Regal doing the kneeing)

Western Lariat

Canadian Destroyer (Who cares if it looks contrived, this is Pro Wrestling)

Genki Horiguchi's Beach Break

Schwein/WA4/Celtic Cross/Kryptonite Krunch/a billion other names

Moonsault (my favorite aerial maneuver)

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

And I hate Petey's Canadian Destroyer, the first time I saw it I did the typical holy shit! mark out moment, but like I said, my taste is changing and it just seems so contrived, and that the guy taking the move actually does more work than the giver that I've soured on it, and dislike it completely.

Really? Seems like the guy taking it only has to flip back on his head. Petey needs to hold him, and jump all the way.

It's easier to flip forward and onto your ass than to backflip onto the top of your head. Just saying.

You know what promotion has guys that have tight finishers, and actually do them fairly well? CZW. Zandig's got the Mother F'N Bomb (Gorilla Press Michinoku Driver II), Nate Hatred has a beautiful Fire Thunder Driver, and of course there's Nick Gage's Chokebreaker (chokeslam -> backbreaker). Pretty damn cool moves, and you don't see them used very often elsewhere.

Kondo's Lanzarse. MEGA-Spear.

I prefer his Hurricane Mixer which is a Black Hole Slam/Lanzarse.

The Overdrive / Playmaker / Whatever is one of the worst finishers ever. I don't know why Johnny Ace thinks it's such a great move to assign people.

Does anyone remember when Orton was taking on the Un-Americans in a handicap match and there was apparently some miscommunication with Christian taking the move? Orton went through all his required motions to hit the move and Christian just stood there bent over. It was great.

It was cool the first time it was done on national television by Elix Skipper on some random Nitro (this might have been the one time he was "Skip Over," IIRC), but after that got exposed realllll quick for how incredibly fucking lame it was. It's a decent enough transition move - a swinging neckbreaker where you use your leg around their head rather than your arm - but not a good finish at all.

You know what was always taken as a legit finish, but in hindsight was lame? Goldberg's Jackhammer. It really, REALLY depended on who he was giving it to, because most people just sorta treated it as a scoop slam in their way of taking it, but others made sure to go wherever Goldberg wanted them to go.

Two moves that should be used in the wwe right now are the aforementioned Roaring Elbow and Doug Williams Chaos Theory roll-through German Suplex. MVP would be a good candidate for the Roaring Elbow, and CM Punk could use the Chaos Theory.

Total Elimination should absolutely be stolen as well - Miz amd Morrison would be a good tandem to use it.

What is the RKO/Diamond Cutter supposed to be doing, face-planting the opponent into the canvas or onto the attackers shoulder?

I like Kizarny's legs wrapped DDT finisher, but didn't like the flip through version how MVP sold it. I like it straight down with vicious impact, like all of his weight is coming down on the top of your head.

Regarding the focus of the Ace Crusher/Cutter, I've heard conflicting statements. I think the RKO/original Ace Crusher versions are facebusters through and through. Orton flies forward and you can see the the receiver land face-first on the mat. Ditto Johnny Ace. However, Austin's Stone Cold Stunner/Whipwreck's Whippersnapper are definitely focusing on the jaw/throat, and I'd say DDP's Diamond Cutter/Bubba Ray Dudley's Bubba Cutter/most Ace Crusher variations are all about the throat, specifically the larynx. The Stunner and the Cutter all end with the receiver's throat on either the shoulder or bicep of the attacker, their face not touching the mat. The moves are usually sold as such, with the neck being the primary focal point of the attack. Thus, I would definitely say that the RKO hits the face, whereas the Stunner and the Cutter nail the throat.

Sound like a good reasoning?

Wasn't Cody Rhodes killing people with a basic DDT for the past year, before he went to the newest overexposed finisher, Roll of the Dice?

Rey and Evan Bourne dusted-off the Total Elimination on Kane a couple months ago. Looked just as badass as it ever has. Miz and Morrison could make good use of it. Speaking of Miz and Morrison, have they ever done that 'Rana Whip Powerbomb that they use as a tag finisher in the new SD v R game?

I absolutely love when Chris Hero breaks out the Rubix Cube (kind of like an electric chair into a piledriver). Just sick and always looks spectacular.

Along that route the Storm Cradle Piledriver (look it up, I ain't going to attempt to describe it) is another one of those sick headdrops.

At some point I kinda fell out of love with alot of the innovative indy fed finishers, and I think my growing MMA fandom has something to do with that. Like CG, I like a move that has sort of an "outta nowhere" feel to it, or one that doesn't have a ton of contrived motion to it, although I do like the suspense of a guy working a bodypart looking for one specific hold to end the match, because I think it leads to more drama on the counter of the big finisher.

A good finisher can be anything really, as long as it's sold well and doesn't look too outlandishly fake (Worm I'm lookin' at you) I mean in a world of fake fighting, if a move is so outlandishly flashy or takes forever to set up it loses all "suspension of disbelief" that wrestling should get you to.

If you are talking about the finisher that Quite Storm did in Northeast indy's, then yeah, that move is awesome.

I will always love the Cop Killa..

Cutters are a great move, because they can be hit out of nowhere.

I never liked the Unprettier. It takes too long to set up.

I never liked the Unprettier. It takes too long to set up.

Found a way to make it a more effective move via "Smackdown vs. Raw 2009".

Insted of how Christian sets it up, start it off like an F-5/TKO/Whatever else move starts with that set-up...then spin them around, and hit the end of the Unprettier once they're around.

Regarding the focus of the Ace Crusher/Cutter, I've heard conflicting statements. I think the RKO/original Ace Crusher versions are facebusters through and through. Orton flies forward and you can see the the receiver land face-first on the mat. Ditto Johnny Ace. However, Austin's Stone Cold Stunner/Whipwreck's Whippersnapper are definitely focusing on the jaw/throat, and I'd say DDP's Diamond Cutter/Bubba Ray Dudley's Bubba Cutter/most Ace Crusher variations are all about the throat, specifically the larynx. The Stunner and the Cutter all end with the receiver's throat on either the shoulder or bicep of the attacker, their face not touching the mat. The moves are usually sold as such, with the neck being the primary focal point of the attack. Thus, I would definitely say that the RKO hits the face, whereas the Stunner and the Cutter nail the throat.

Sound like a good reasoning?

Sounds like good logic to me. I remember when Austin first started using the stunner and the person taking the move always sold it like it was damaging the throat (Mero at King of the Ring 06 is a good example). Afterwards it became more of a “knockout” move where the force of the person’s jaw hitting Austin’s shoulder jarred their head and neck enough to keep them down for the 3 count. I always think of the RKO as more of a “face into the mat” kind of move as well, while Page’s Diamond Cutter put people out due to the force of Page snapping the person’s neck downward.

Sounds like good logic to me. I remember when Austin first started using the stunner and the person taking the move always sold it like it was damaging the throat (Mero at King of the Ring 06 is a good example).

My favourite Stunner sell is Sgt. Slaughter, back when it was sold as a jarring move instead of a knockout move. As time went on people generally sold it by going backwards, where-as going forwards like Slaughter (and possibly Lawler) always made it look move jarring and devestating. Slaughter especially, because he didn't go to his knees.

I always thought Yokozuna's Bonzai Drop was killer as a kid. I don't think anyone ever kicked out of that did they?

Not that I can recall. People would move out of the way before Yoko hit it, but if he connected, nobody ever kicked out that I can remember. I don't remember anyone ever kicking out of Goldberg's jackhammer either.

I always thought Yokozuna's Bonzai Drop was killer as a kid. I don't think anyone ever kicked out of that did they?

Not that I can recall. People would move out of the way before Yoko hit it, but if he connected, nobody ever kicked out that I can remember. I don't remember anyone ever kicking out of Goldberg's jackhammer either.

Closest thing to a kick-out of the Banzai Drop was at Survivor Series 1993, I believe, where Undertaker took one, then sat up before Yoko could hit another one.

Raven's ddt was still fairly credible even when he was being used sparingly in TNA. For it to be credible it would just depend on the guy doing the move. Hell I'm sure they could make a body slam a finisher with the right guy. Norman Smiley had the body slam over as a signature move just by swinging the guy around beforehand.

The Tazmission in my opinion has to be one of the top submissions of all time, even when he was facing the big guys in WWE they made sure to put that move over by trying to get out of it so quickly using lowblows and what not.

Sounds like good logic to me. I remember when Austin first started using the stunner and the person taking the move always sold it like it was damaging the throat (Mero at King of the Ring 06 is a good example).

My favourite Stunner sell is Sgt. Slaughter, back when it was sold as a jarring move instead of a knockout move. As time went on people generally sold it by going backwards, where-as going forwards like Slaughter (and possibly Lawler) always made it look move jarring and devestating. Slaughter especially, because he didn't go to his knees.

Lawler takes one of my favourite Stunner bumps on a 1997 episode of Raw. Austin is reading some notice (I think the 'hold harmless' agreement to let him continue wrestling after his neck injury) and Lawler starts reading it over his shoulder on the house mic. Austin just reaches up and nails him with the Stunner, then kicks his crown to the ramp.