TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Obi Chris Kenobi

TSM Wrestling Spotlight: The Big Show

Hope Big Show doesn't put anymore weight on, every time he gets back into the WWE schedule he seems to put the pounds back on. The guy was in some serious shape when he first came back last year.

Hope Big Show doesn't put anymore weight on, every time he gets back into the WWE schedule he seems to put the pounds back on. The guy was in some serious shape when he first came back last year.

I'd like to see if he could get back into THIS shape.

08.jpg

I'd like to see if he could get back into THIS shape.

08.jpg

No, he can't

It's odd how the longer he's on the road, the bigger he gets. I would think it would be the opposite, that he'd get fat while sitting at home with nothing to do.

It's odd how the longer he's on the road, the bigger he gets. I would think it would be the opposite, that he'd get fat while sitting at home with nothing to do.

Being at home means home cooked meals. Eating healthier and controlling your diet. It also means a workout routine optimized for you and plenty of rest and good living.

Being on the road means long hours, getting work outs in when you can. Harder to control your diet or schedule meals or eat healthy. Harder to get rest and proper treatment. Maybe even pills or just loads of coffee to keep you going.

Whatever Big Show's routine is its a lot harder to make sure you do X hours on the treadmill and Y well balanced meals if you're riding around and working shows.

He still looks better than he did toward the end of his ECW run. I think his goal of making it down to the high 300s, which I believe I read him saying in an interview, might be done for now.

The Wwe doesn't know how to book somebody his size. They let Matt Morgan walk for some unknown reason after saddling him with a stuttering gimmick, and Khali has gone the way of Kurrgan and Silva for the most part. They build up big guys as a threat, but once they're jobbed out to the champion they really don't work well as undercard guys. I think the other top guys (read Undertaker for one) were threatened by Morgan, a muscled up, cut, seven footer, good looking guy who could work the mic well enough (why they gave him the stuttering gimmick).

Also the giants have to be heels for the most part, because of their size advantage, they're always fighting the underdog. And it's hard to keep heels consistently over, because eventually the scrappy face David needs to vanquish Goliath. Only chance to book a giant as a face is to make him act a goof it seems.

Big Show's size makes him an upper carder, but he's not in the title picture - so it's hard to use him a lot of the time. I threw out the idea of putting him in the tag division at one time. I still think it could work, I mean Big Show could reasonably beat Primo and Carlito, Kendrick/Zeke or even Miz and Morrison if they were forced to abide by the tag rules. Also since Big Show would be "outnumbered", it would allow for him to be booked as a non-goof giant face. Big Show could also reasonably lose to tag teams as well because afterall it is two-on-one, and given the tag titles are midcard, it would allow for Big Show to be out of the upper card while giving him something to do. It wouldn't hurt tag teams that much to lose to one person as that person is 7ft tall and 400lbs, and it would be competitive matches, rather than DX vs Spirit Squad squashes.

Big Show - the One Man Tag Team.

Yeah, I think Lushus put it best the biggest problem with The Big Show's career in WWE and to a lesser extent, WCW has been how inconsistent his character has been booked. Is he an unstoppable monster? A gentle giant? A big pussy? A big goof? I'm sure he'd be able to do all of these to some degree (and has) but just as he gets comfortable in one role, it gets changed.

I'll always say that where WWF really screwed up with Show, was when he came in, he actually came off like a legit giant. He was portrayed as someone that even Austin couldn't man handle. I remember Austin tried to irish whip him one time on RAW, and Show didn't even budge an inch. Then he quickly reverted to being just another heavyweight in the ring who happened to be a little bit taller than everyone else. Pretty soon he was doing the usual punch and kick brawls around the arena that were a staple of the main event scene at the time. If they had kept him as a special type that actually wrestled like a giant, I think he would be scene as more of a threat still today.

I'll always say that where WWF really screwed up with Show, was when he came in, he actually came off like a legit giant. He was portrayed as someone that even Austin couldn't man handle. I remember Austin tried to irish whip him one time on RAW, and Show didn't even budge an inch. Then he quickly reverted to being just another heavyweight in the ring who happened to be a little bit taller than everyone else. Pretty soon he was doing the usual punch and kick brawls around the arena that were a staple of the main event scene at the time. If they had kept him as a special type that actually wrestled like a giant, I think he would be scene as more of a threat still today.

His intro was pretty cool, when he burst through the ring at St. Valentine's Day Massacre (One of my favorite Cage Matches).

His intro was pretty cool, when he burst through the ring at St. Valentine's Day Massacre (One of my favorite Cage Matches).

That was neat, but him inadvertantly winning the match for Austin really set the tone for what's been a fairly lousy career for him in WWE. The general consensus in late 98/early 99 was that McMahon could make this guy a monster heel and that he'd be a perfect foil for Austin, but none of that ever really materialized. I mean, they were teasing a face turn almost immediately upon his debut, and he's since gone on to make dozens of inexplicable turns that have totally ruined his character in WWE. Same deal with Kane.

He was on a great run after they did the switching of roles between him and Mayweather... and I say it lasted up until he sided with Vickie.

It was cool to see him act like his natural self those few months... he plays the smart ass monster well.

That was neat, but him inadvertantly winning the match for Austin really set the tone for what's been a fairly lousy career for him in WWE. The general consensus in late 98/early 99 was that McMahon could make this guy a monster heel and that he'd be a perfect foil for Austin, but none of that ever really materialized. I mean, they were teasing a face turn almost immediately upon his debut, and he's since gone on to make dozens of inexplicable turns that have totally ruined his character in WWE. Same deal with Kane.

I didn't have much hope for Vince doing well with Show because he couldn't make things work with Vader who wrestled the perfect style for a big man. While he wasn't nearly as tall as Show I think he was easily the most menacing looking guy I ever got the chance to see, and the WWF pretty much neutered him into a "fat piece of shit".

I met him once. He's a cool guy.

I remember the time he came out dressed like vintage Hogan, using "Real American". That was magic.

YOU KNOW SOMETHING KURT ANGLE DUDE

One of the all time classics. I recently watched this again and could not stop laughing, even if it's almost 9 years old now.

Brock Lesnar superplexing Big Show off the top rope with the ring collapsing has to be one of the most memorable Big Show moments.

I remember the time he came out dressed like vintage Hogan, using "Real American". That was magic.

YOU KNOW SOMETHING KURT ANGLE DUDE

One of the all time classics. I recently watched this again and could not stop laughing, even if it's almost 9 years old now.

It's funny stuff, but what did it really do for him in the long run? Don't ask why, but I was recently watching some of the Angle-Austin stuff from 2001 and found myself thinking that it was really funny, but it's pretty obvious in retrospect why it completely tanked their business. At some point, the writers forgot that they were writing a wrestling show and not MadTV skits. Same deal with Big Show's comedy segments. That sort of stuff is much better suited to a guy like Charlie Haas, who isn't ever going to draw a dime, but can get a cheap pop and remain employed by being a comedy sideshow.

I used to always wonder (I guess this is kind of a kayfabe issue) why supposed "monsters" like Kane and Big Show hardly ever won the major titles (meaning WWE/WHC), compared to guys like HBK, HHH, Stone Cold, The Rock, Angle, Edge, etc...who've won them like 5, 10, 12 times. Even Undertaker's had a relatively low number of major title reigns considering how long his career's been.

I think the Big Show has another title reign coming, they'll pull the trigger eventually. The question is, will they actually book him well. The only title run of his I've ever liked was the ECW run. WCW had the right idea for the first year or so of the Giant, where he was just running over everyone.

I used to always wonder (I guess this is kind of a kayfabe issue) why supposed "monsters" like Kane and Big Show hardly ever won the major titles (meaning WWE/WHC), compared to guys like HBK, HHH, Stone Cold, The Rock, Angle, Edge, etc...who've won them like 5, 10, 12 times. Even Undertaker's had a relatively low number of major title reigns considering how long his career's been.

The short answer is the big guys don't need titles to maintain their credibility. At least, if they're booked to look like monsters like Taker is or Andre The Giant was back in the '70s and '80s.

Do you think that it might be because its kind of hard to believe that someone that big/powerful could actually lose the belt?

Which I find kind of funny considering so many people complain that Vince only pushes big guys strong and has them dominate the upper card, etc. When you really break it down, (relatively) smaller guys often end up on top of the heap.

I liked Show's run from late 02-early 04.

I don't see why someone can't use their natural charisma and ability for impersonations to entertain, but still be pushed in the ring as a decent wrestler (or at least, a hard-to-beat giant). Show can connect with the fans (I remember his DDP impersonation was great), when he's motivated and in something approaching shape he can do OK in the ring; is it so hard to book a big, largely friendly guy with a sense of humour who actually has the ability to become more serious when the bell rings and it's actually time to wrestle?