TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Cucaracha

CHIKARA King Of Trios 2009

KoT2009banner1.jpg

It's like The Super Bowl of Independent Wrestling - only without all the football stuff.

Y'know what it's time for.

The biggest pro-wrestling tournament in the world - 48 wrestlers from around the globe are coming together for King of Trios 2009! Unlike last year's tournament, all 16 trios will be in action the first night of the tournament, which is Friday, March 27th. Only the surviving eight teams advance into Night 2, Saturday, March 28th, and the 4 remaining teams will face off until just one remains on Sunday afternoon, March 29th. As the participants are confirmed for the tournament, you'll see them listed on this very page. There will also be non-tournament matches featuring wrestlers eliminated from King of Trios scattered through the weekend.

Announced so far:

KoT_Team1.jpg

KoT_Team2.jpg

KoT_Team3.jpg

KoT_Team4.jpg

KoT_Team5.jpg

KoT_Team6.jpg

KoT_Team7.jpg

KoT_Team8.jpg

KoT_Team9.jpg

KoT_Team10.jpg

KoT_Team11.jpg

KoT_Team12.jpg

KoT_Team13.jpg

KoT_Team14.jpg

KoT_Team15.jpg

KoT_Team16.jpg

Go HERE for more information.

Hopefully Quack and Jorge find a good partner this time and not that worthless clown THE STORMER.

Too bad he's still going to be in with Vin Gerard and Colin Delaney.

I forget, is this tournament booked by Bob Saget or Dave Coulier?

Is the current commissioner of fun, but he'll probably only appear a handful of times like Saget did. As for Quack's partner, its usually a CHIKARA guy they have high hopes for and will probably get a little rub working with them.

I forget, is this tournament booked by Bob Saget or Dave Coulier?

Coulier. Saget was ousted last year as part of some sort of conspiracy, apparently brought to light by Colin Delaney.

And Quack and Jorge's partner has been confirmed to be Johnny Saint, which was sort of a foregone conclusion anyway but it's still really cool since it's his first US appearance ever.

I doubt it. The odds are he'll be in for the US debut, probably a third match in the series with Quack over the weekend. After that, I'd imagine he'd only make rare appearances at best, considering his age and the fact it's taken him 60+ years to appear once in the US. :P

There's also some hype videos up on YouTube for the teams announced so far, for anyone unfamiliar with them.

I went to last year's Nights 2 and 3, both of which were flat out awesome. I'm thinking that this year's winner will be either the Colony or whatever team that Claudio is the captain of.

Edit to add Lince, Helios and Jimm... uh, Equinox. Plus, the interesting addition of The Death Match Kings, Necro Butcher, Toby Klien and Brian Damage.

While they're usual style might not fit well with CHIKARA values, I can see them hamming it up nicely, as they're all pretty good characters to put over in a comedy/family environment. Obviously, no big Hardcore spots will be done, but I still think they'll manage some funny antics.

Last year, I picked the Colony to win this thing, this year I have no idea who'll win it all. I think I'll go with the safe pick again and choose the Colony again. That is, if they make it into the tournament at all. Otherwise Incoherence looks to be poised to win this thing.

Was it last year or the year before that Demolition and One Man Gang were in it? I always meant to check that out.

That would be last year. Sweeney and OMG in a strut-off is must see, ain't no doubt about it.

I'm pretty sure they covered the match on the weekly Podcast, but whether the strut-off made it or not I'm not so sure. Don't think so.

Edit to add Lince, Helios and Jimm... uh, Equinox. Plus, the interesting addition of The Death Match Kings, Necro Butcher, Toby Klien and Brian Damage.

While they're usual style might not fit well with CHIKARA values, I can see them hamming it up nicely, as they're all pretty good characters to put over in a comedy/family environment. Obviously, no big Hardcore spots will be done, but I still think they'll manage some funny antics.

I'm sure they'll be just fine. I think them vs. F.I.S.T. would be perfect, with Necro and co. just brawling and mugging them, while the rudos run around crying and hiding.

Updated again.

Team CZW is Beef Wellington and Greg Excellent, aka 2 Girls 1 Cup, although not in CHIKARA I'm sure! Plus Pinkie Sanchez.

Second team in is Al Snow, Iceberg and Glacier. Really. Insane.

Big update.

FIST, in. Brodie Lee, Eddie Kingston and the mighty Grizzly Redwood, in. Austin Aries is in with Tony Kozina and Ryan Drago from EPIC. And Claudio's team is going to be made up of guys who can do European uppercuts to counter Quack's 1,000 hold team. Both ridiculous and fantastic in equal measure.

Team of 1,000 European Uppercutt's for the win.

Sadly, no Colony this year, as they lost the qualifier against F.I.S.T. There is even a new ant, an unnamed green one, who came out to help Worker Ant after Chuck Taylor Awful Waffled him on the floor. Chikara fans will note that this horrendous act was done at the same spot on the floor where Icarus pedigreed Mr. Zero out of Chikara.

Two spots left, which is going to be interesting. One of the two has to be the UnStable, the other is completely up in the air. If they wanted to add another CHIKARA squad (which I wouldn't be adverse to at all given how many outsider teams are already in) it could be a combination of Cheech and Cloudy, Hydra, Jigsaw, and Tim Donst, or alternatively there isn't a single team from Japan entered, which is shocking for a CHIKARA tourney as they almost always have one Japanese representative except for the YLC tournament.

UnStable is a given.

I could see Chikara passing on a Japanese team this year, wanting to be cautious about who they bring in and such. Still, Miyawaki, Yago and Kudo haven't been around for a while, so I really don't know what's up.

they almost always have one Japanese representative except for the YLC tournament.

A shiny gold penny for you.

Team DDT in- KUDO, Michael Nakazawa and making his re-arranged CHIKARA debut, Kota Ibushi.

Just one name left and that's the guy to round out Team Uppercut. Considering it's the last name to be confirmed and they won't want it to be an anti-climax for the last announcement, I think that really leaves one of two options.

I loved watching Michael Nakazawa's antics last year, quite hilarious. Glad he's coming back.

Also, the last member of Team Uppercut has been announced and it is "American Dragon" Bryan Danielson. Yup, there goes my $60.

It's insane how many combinations of teams in this tournament would put on amazing matches. You could pretty much take any combination of the Masters of 1000 Holds, Team Uppercut, Team PWG, Team DDT, the F1RST Family, The Osirian Portal, and F.I.S.T. and get something really beautiful, and those are only the really excellent trios combinations. The only ones that are even remotely suspect are the Cold Front, and they're just the obligatory gag entry, and maybe the Death Match Kings who could still have really fun matches against the right opponents (Team Uppercut, the Masters, definitely The Roughnecks).