TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Xavier Cromartie

Changes made by Barack Obama

For more changes, see The Obameter and Timeline of the Presidency of Barack Obama

* Added 17,000 troops to Afghanistan.

* Orchestrated and signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

* Returned a loaned bronze bust of Winston Churchill to the Brits.

* Signed the DTV Delay Act, allowing for a delay of the digital transition until 12 June 2009.

* Established President's Advisory Council for Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships.

* Signed the Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act.

* Imposed a cap of $500,000 for top executives at companies that receive large amounts of bailout money.

* Created the White House Task Force on Middle Class Working Families.

* Signed Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009.

* Wrote a letter to Iran, encouraging direct talks.

* Pressured Citi to abandon plans for a new $50m corporate jet.

* Allowed states to set strict automobile emissions and fuel efficiency standards.

* Announced Recovery.gov to show how the money from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act is used.

* Lifted the ban on funding abortion services abroad.

* Ordered closure of Guantanamo Bay prison and CIA secret prisons and the usage of the U.S. Army Field Manual for interrogation techniques.

* Emphasized the importance of government transparency.

* Revoked GWB's Executive Order 13233 (which limited access to records of former Presidents).

* Limited lobbyists' access.

* Enacted a pay freeze on aids who make US$100,000+.

* Expanded and emphasized the Office of Public Liaison.

* Created the White House blog.

* Created the Citizen's Briefing Book for the people to submit ideas to President Obama.

* Created 'Open for Questions.'

* Created USAService.org for finding local volunteer opportunities.

* Gave weekly addresses on YouTube.

* Offered transparency on transitional documents and meetings.

* Created a presidential transition blog.

Don't know where this would go, but will throw it here. This article courtesy of CNET.com

Campaign to delay DTV transition gets a boost

Posted by Marguerite Reardon

It looks as though the digital TV transition will likely be delayed now that a group of Senate Republicans agreed to a plan that would push it back to June 12.

Senate Republicans blocked Democratic efforts to push back the deadline just last week. But it looks like they've had a change of heart after working with Democrats to hammer out amendments to the bill. The DTV Delay Act, as it is being called, is expected to be voted on early next week.

The switch from analog TV broadcast to digital broadcast was mandated by Congress in 2005 with the deadline date of February 17, 2009. On this date all TV broadcasters are supposed to stop broadcasting their signals in analog and broadcast only in digital. The switch will free up valuable wireless spectrum, which the Federal Communications Commission has already allocated to public safety or auctioned off for new services, mainly broadband wireless.

But over the past few months, government officials have warned that too many Americans are not prepared for the switch. In fact more than 6.5 million U.S. households are still not prepared for the transition, according to the Nielsen Co. Many of these individuals are minorities.

The government and broadcasters have been running public service announcements to get the word out about the switch. The government also allotted $1.3 billion for a voucher program to provide consumers with $40 coupons to defray the cost of converter boxes that will allow older TVs to accept the digital signal.

But the government has run out of money for the vouchers, and as of Wednesday the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, which administers the voucher program, reported that there was a waiting list of 2.6 million for new coupons. What's more, many consumers say they have had trouble redeeming coupons or their coupons have expired already.

Democrats, including President Obama, have suggested delaying the transition to give people more time to get ready. But Republicans in both the House and Senate have raised concerns that delaying the switchover would confuse consumers and add costs for television stations that would have to continue broadcasting both analog and digital signals. A delay would also mean burdening wireless companies, which have already spent billions of dollars to buy the spectrum from the federal government. And it would delay efforts by public safety agencies that have been waiting for the spectrum to be freed up.

After some negotiation and some amendments to the bill, it looks as though Senate Republicans are now on board with delaying the date for the transition.

Under the new deal, the transition date will be delayed until June 12. But TV stations will be allowed to switch to digital signals before that date. And if a station chooses to switch to digital before the official transition date, the vacant spectrum will be made available to public safety officials.

The bill will also allow consumers with expired coupons for converter boxes to apply for new coupons. The coupons had an expiration date of 90 days. The bill also extends the deadline to apply for a coupon from March 31 to July 31.

The Senate is expected to vote on the DTV Delay Act next week. But a bill will still have to get through the House before a delay becomes official. The House Energy and Commerce Committee delayed consideration of a DTV delay bill earlier this week after the Senate had blocked its initial bill.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found it interesting, we have two TVs on satellite but two TVs without, one in our bedroom and one in my kids' room. Last week I went into a family-owned local TV shop to use the coupons I got to buy converter boxes. The owner told me that the government had cut him off from taking any more of the coupons. Supposedly many of the mom-and-pop outfits can only redeem so many of them.

Actually, the converter box isn't going to work for some people. Some areas will need to buy new cables, new antennas, and tons of other new items that sends the cost from 60 to 180 dollars+. The "just install a converter box" was a totally load of bullshit. It's not as simple as they made it seem in the least for a lot of people.

Some people have already bought the box, now they are being told they will need a brand new antenna to pick up the signals. Then you have the reality that if anyone does buy a defection box, there isn't shit they can do with it since it cannot be returned to the stores and the companies who sold them are not offering up replacement boxes unless an additional 30 dollar fee is paid. Then you have a list of companies producing the boxes who just are impossible to get in contact with unless you plan to give them 70 dollars for one of their "high powered" antennas.

The whole program is still a massive mess.

Guest Vitamin X

Jesus, in that case, just get cable or do away with TV altogether. What a hassle.

Actually, the converter box isn't going to work for some people. Some areas will need to buy new cables, new antennas, and tons of other new items that sends the cost from 60 to 180 dollars+. The "just install a converter box" was a totally load of bullshit. It's not as simple as they made it seem in the least for a lot of people.

Wait...whut?

Wait...whut?

Certain antennas do not pick up digital signals and even in the major cities, there are major problems getting the signals to a strength that is receivable. Digital is not this great and wonderful savior, the fact is it either works really well or doesn't work worth a damn. Right now the "doesn't work worth a damn" is far outweighing the "works amazing" crowd.

And then some of the converters boxes will only hook to certain televisions with a special digital cable, that cable runs about 40 bucks or more depending on the quality of cable you want. Add in the federal government running out of money for the coupons to allow Americans to buy a box they are essentially forcing on them is turning into a fiasco as well.

I'm confused because I've never had a problem picking up a digital signal with plain old rabbit ears, and my understanding on the converter box is that it switches the signal to analogue before it outputs it to the tv, and then carries it to the tv with a plain old coaxial cable (coax cables are capable of carrying either type....I have a coax cable attaching my antennae to my tv).

When we had a brief interlude between having a digital TV and cable, we used the digital rabbit ears.

We got like two channels, four if you count the A and C channels (I don't count B because it was always the weather) and yeah. Only like CBS and one PBS. Analog, if it was fuzzy you could still see shit. Digital is not nearly as forgiving.

When we had a brief interlude between having a digital TV and cable, we used the digital rabbit ears.

We got like two channels, four if you count the A and C channels (I don't count B because it was always the weather) and yeah. Only like CBS and one PBS. Analog, if it was fuzzy you could still see shit. Digital is not nearly as forgiving.

Yeah, that's a good point. I live in the middle of KC, and there's still channels I don't get with my antennae. I don't really know if the rabbit ears work any worse than the fancy ones...with digital, if you don't get the whole signal, it is just as bad as gett ing none of it.

I don't know what he meant by the rest, though.

At least where I live the digital channels had numerous feeds in them.

PBS 1 here, "WETA", channel 22, had 22A, 22B, and 22C. Ditto our CBS, channel 9 had 9A, 9B, and 9C.

It was just the whole problem with they didn't inform anyone they might also need to buy a new antenna to pick up the weaker but clearer digital signal. Depending on when you live in relationship to wear the digital signal is decides what kind of antenna you need. And some will be strong enough to bring in the signal, but not the audio. There have been some reports of companies refusing to take antenna returns as well, even though the brand new one wasn't strong enough to pick up the signal.

Basically it goes like this:

-If you get less than 5 stations, you need a new antenna but MIGHT be able to get one of the lower cost ones. Most stations are ready for the switch so you should be getting the signal already.

-If you get all the channels but no sound, you need a new antenna and it will be a little pricey but not extremely bad

-If you get none of them, spread your rear and prepare for rough entry

Right now a large majority of Americans fall into those categories. That is where the switchover is coming into a problem. They ran out of money for the switch coupons and now a lot of people are discovering they are still not getting any television after buying the "it's just that easy!" (how the local station here pushes it, some lady sitting on the floor and exclaims it..guess she was one of the lucky ones) boxes. It wouldn't be so bad if you knew which antennas would pick up digital but you don't know exactly as now most antennas hitting the shelves (at higher costs now that they know how needed they might be) all claim they can pick up signals clear and simple. And they probably aren't lying really, just they aren't saying how close to the signal you need to be.

So to recap:

The governments ad campaign and the television stations ad campaigns did not cover the antenna problem in the least. It's not even known if the government knew about the antenna issue at all when they made this decision.

The boxes you buy are yours. If any of them are broke, tough. You aren't getting your money back, bite the bullet and deal with it. And no, you cannot get a new coupon to buy a new one. You'll need to spend the additional money to buy more boxes. (this has become a HUGE problem as well)

If you don't get the clear signal, sorry but you need to buy a new antenna. Sorry, we don't know which one you'll need and you may have to eat the money you spend on that as well since some stores are refusing to accept those returns now.

Who's making the mint on all these converter boxes and whatnot?

Not sure. I know there have been some lower priced generic ones released in the last few months.

Intially there was RCA, Zenith, GE, DISH, and APEX. Now about five or six other companies with no names, just saying "ACCESS HD" have hit the market. So the market has been flooded with converter boxes and a lot of them don't work properly or at all, cannot be returned and leaves the consumer screwed.

Now about five or six other companies with no names, just saying "ACCESS HD" have hit the market. So the market has been flooded with converter boxes and a lot of them don't work properly or at all, cannot be returned and leaves the consumer screwed.

Secret government cameras.

Right now a large majority of Americans fall into those categories.

What percentage of the American public doesn't have cable or satelitte again? Like, what? 18%?

I'm interested in seeing how much its going to cost these TV stations to keep both of their analog and digital transmitters running. Last night my local CBS affiliate had a story about how it was going to set their station back hundreds of thousands to keep both running. In fact, this week they said they were supposed to lower their analog signal this week to get ready for the switchover. Plus, I read online at BusinessWeek that companies like AT&T and Verizon have already spent billions to buy space that will be opened up by the moving of TV stations and the delay will be that more expensive to them.

The DTV transition delay failed in the House today:

WASHINGTON — Bucking the Obama administration, House Republicans today defeated a bill to delay the upcoming transition from analog to digital television broadcasting to June 12 — leaving as many as 6.5 million U.S. households unprepared for the switchover.

The 258-168 vote failed to clear the two-thirds threshold needed for passage in a victory for GOP members, who warn that postponing the transition from the current Feb. 17 deadline would confuse consumers.

Good...they're right, it would just create more confusion than there already is. It's going to be painful either way...just get it done with already. It's already been delayed a couple years. Enough, just do it.

House passed Obama/Democrats' stimulus bill today without a single Republican vote. I'm fine with that, as i am with the stimulus package in general. Do not approve too much of the extra stuff the congressional Democrats stuffed into there. Just goes to show you, the right is not the only side that Obama has to reach out to try to be more inclusive. A master politician, Pelosi is not.