TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Xavier Cromartie

Changes made by Barack Obama

Even if he's using a middle-way definition for what the embryos are, that doesn't answer the question WHY it is wrong (or even why it is the equivalent to making a human life).

His answer is right in the quote you gave from him (though selectively highlighted): "[it is] a clear violation of the categorical imperative not to make a human life (even if only a potential human life) a means rather than an end."

It is not giving proper dignity to human life to cultivate human cells for harvest. I don't really see how that's a gray area. (Unless you're okay with other undignified human treatment like slavery, the caste system, etc. Then I think the conversation has warped beyond Mr. Krauthammer's basic argument.)

But since it is NOT the same thing as making a human life, then why is it wrong?

He's trying to say that the rule to not make a human life covers potential life...but does it really?

How is "cultivating human cells for harvest" any different than donating blood or other things that involving people donating cells?

I think these questions need to be answered before anyone can prove extracting embryotic stem cells is the moral equivalent of slave---wait...whut?

So you'd be fine with creating embryos simply to utilize them in stem cell research, rather than what they're biologically meant for, which is to grow into a human being? It's treating (potential) human beings like they're no different from chicken eggs. We should simply use these things regardless of how we've gotten them and their legitimate functions in growing into human life. Mr. Krauthammer correctly said that this is treating human beings as a means, rather than an end.

They are not human beings. They are human beings' cells.

I mean, I can see where you are coming from, but I also realize that embryotic cells are only alive in the strictest scientific sense of the word.

I like the changes he's made the advancement of the Special Olypmics with that comment on Leno... actually, I couldn't care less. Fuck the 'Special' Olympics. More Bushims from Obama!

The Special Olympics comment is far from a "Bushism."

I thought it was kind of funny, myself. If anyone else said it, who'd give a shit? I know it's the President and all, but give me a break. The guy is as much a celebrity as well.

Aye I know it wasn't a 'Bushism' as such, and you're right that if someone other then a President had said no one would care. Here in the UK we've got a guy called Prince Philip who says all the strangest shit all the time.

How do you claim with a straight face that someone is polarizing when they only have a 30% disapproval rating? By adding meaningless stipulations to the claim, of course.

The new talking point is that the president is polarizing America, which is a bold statement after George Bush and Bill Clinton, based on the logic that after THIS POINT in the first terms of other presidents, no one had as high disapproval numbers as President Obama. So, he is the most polarizing, compared to the presidents of the selectively picked years of 1993 and 2001, when in fact none of the three years, 2009, 2001, or 1993, indicate actual polarization.

This would be like saying someone is the worst basketball player in the NBA, but saying so after 2 months of their first season compared to a half dozen other past rookie players' stats at the same point in their careers.

The fact that the president's disapproval rating is 30% makes the argument that he is polarizing false, and the stipulations placed on the claim to make it sound true are meaningless.