TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BruteSquad_BRODY

Christians Beat Special Ed team 100-0

Guest Smues

My senior year of highschool our women's varsity team got raped something like 110-30. The coach never pulled his starters. But I guess a few years previous his team had done something simular and he was featured on Sportscenter as a result, so of course he's going to try to kick ass. His reward the time I was there though? He almost got fired. Personally the game was a lot more enjoyable than any others that our shitty team was involved in. Among the band we had a debate as to which would happen first, they score 100 or we score 30. Even sitting at 29 I was confident the other team would get to 100 first and they didn't let me down.

As for this, I really don't see the need for it. Wow you scored 100 over a team that hasn't won in 4 years, good for you. But it doesn't bother me, outside of the bullshit appology afterwards. If they felt so bad about it they shouldn't have run up the score in the first place. Trying to forfeit later is a shameless ploy to look good.

We had a team here win 118-13 and after the game, the coach whose team scored 118 was pissed his defense allowed 13 points. Going as far as to say they would be ready for them next year and not overlook them like they did. It was a rather fun interview to conduct.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Bullshit. Welcome to life. Sometimes you get your ass destroyed. If I were on that team, I'd be disgusted with the coaching staff for suggesting I give less than 100%. If Dallas Academy can't manage to score ONE POINT in a full game, they should reconsider their athletic program, or compete against similar schools.

I was the score keeper for my mom's high school basketball games (she teaches at an alternative high school, aka you get court mandated there) and the pregnant mom school had a team. Who thought that was a good idea? Buncha preggo teens out there trying to run.

It was ugly.

Like it's been said, girls games can get ugly fast, I saw more than once where IHS would be up 50-60 points on the other schools by halftime, and the coach would pull his starters, and just had the girls run the offense like usual. One of the opposing schools parents tried to pick a fight with him because they got blown out like 145-16 saying he ran up the score.

No, he didn't, the scrub girls where taking mid-range jumpshots and putting the ball back in off offensive rebounds for most of those points, teach your team to rebound.

I couldn't care less about this kind of stuff, but...it's high school sports...I thought the idea was to learn the game and teach teamwork and fundamentals, not destroy and humiliate other people. Is it really that hard to put your team on defense and take out your starters?

Personally, I think if you are going to field uncompetitive teams in competition, you need to know to not sweat the score. The only good solutions are either not fielding a team, or better scheduling and grouping.

Bullshit. Welcome to life. Sometimes you get your ass destroyed. If I were on that team, I'd be disgusted with the coaching staff for suggesting I give less than 100%. If Dallas Academy can't manage to score ONE POINT in a full game, they should reconsider their athletic program, or compete against similar schools.

Agent: Professor of Life 101

The other team was students with learning disabilities, not the physically handicapped. The fact that the school only has 20 kids in it to build a sports team out of has more impact on the team's effectiveness than their disabilitiy status.

I heard that's what the coach ended up doing after the loss. I think he said he's going to reschedule the rest of the games.

Teach them to throw elbows. They won't run up the score when their players are getting wrecked every time down the court, and if everybody fouls out who gives a shit, you were down 50.

Now this has really gotten out of hand. Firing a coach for winning too big? Please.

This really sends the wrong message. A high school game ended 100-0. The proper response for the losing team (and maybe both teams) is "so what, it's just a game. Life goes on." Instead, this makes a game seem much more important than it really is.

The coach of the winning team was fired on a Sunday. I found that quite amusing.

I didn't see that in the story. Why was the coach fired? Becuase of this, or some other thing?

Now this has really gotten out of hand. Firing a coach for winning too big? Please.

This really sends the wrong message. A high school game ended 100-0. The proper response for the losing team (and maybe both teams) is "so what, it's just a game. Life goes on." Instead, this makes a game seem much more important than it really is.

Yeah, but I was bored and checked out the Coventry High's website, technically he violated their code of conduct. Next time you are coaching and ask yourself What Would Jesus Do? Running up the score ain't it.

Edit, I went and found it again. From their website http://www.covenantdallas.com/podium/default.aspx?t=32135

Athletics

The Covenant Athletic Program is intended to complement the school's classical, Christ-centered curriculum and to help fulfill the school's mission:

"To glorify God by equipping students with the tools necessary to pursue a lifetime of learning so that they may discern, reason, and defend truth in service to our Lord, Jesus Christ."

Athletics Program Goals

1-To enable Covenant student/athletes, coaches, and spectators to glorify God and be witnesses for Jesus Christ.

2- To provide the highest quality athletic experiences.

3-To develop athletic gifts and skills.

4-To become physically fit.

5-To encourage and deepen relationships and friendships.

6-To foster discernment and wisdom in the use of one's God-given talents.

7-To learn how to commit to a team above one's self and to work together towards common goals and objectives.

8-To build Christ-like character traits and develop servant leadership skills through discipline, and physical and mental training.

9-To develop skills and abilities such as goal setting, a strong work ethic, and an understanding of how to prepare and train for performances and competition.

10-To provide a forum for the entire school community to gather together to share in the excitement of the contest and to support the student/athletes in both victory and defeat.

Someone wasn't doing number 8. Which in this kind of private school would be warrant enough for a firing, I actually told a friend on-line who I shared this story with that I bet the coach got fired for this since schools like this don't like negative publicity.

I also support oldskool's wrecking shit up call. Trust me someone eats an elbow going for a lay-up, they aren't coming as hard the next time they have the ball.

Did you not read that Christian schools were involved? They were employing the press when they were up by 80+ and raucously cheering as they got closer to 100 points. If they didn't fire the coach there would have been a lot more controversy surrounding the outcome of the game. You can't "teach" at a Christian school and get off on burying a clearly inferior group of kids.

Coach fired, says he's not sorry for 100-point win

DALLAS -- The coach of a Texas high school basketball team that beat another team 100-0 was fired Sunday, the same day he sent an e-mail to a newspaper saying he will not apologize "for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity."

Kyle Queal, the headmaster for Covenant School, said in the Dallas Morning News online edition that he could not answer if the firing was a direct result of coach Micah Grimes' e-mail disagreeing with administrators who called the blowout "shameful."

Queal did not immediately answer phone messages or e-mail from the Associated Press.

On its website last week, Covenant, a private Christian school, posted a statement regretting the outcome of its Jan. 13 shutout win over Dallas Academy. "It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened. This clearly does not reflect a Christlike and honorable approach to competition," said the statement, signed by Queal and board chair Todd Doshier.

Grimes, who has been criticized for letting the game get so far out of hand, made it clear in the e-mail Sunday to the newspaper that he does not agree with his school's assessment.

"In response to the statement posted on The Covenant School website, I do not agree with the apology or the notion that the Covenant School girls basketball team should feel embarrassed or ashamed," Grimes wrote in the e-mail, according to the newspaper. "We played the game as it was meant to be played. My values and my beliefs would not allow me to run up the score on any opponent, and it will not allow me to apologize for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity."

A phone number for Grimes could not be located by the Associated Press. The Dallas Morning News said Grimes did not respond to their repeated e-mail requests for a telephone interview.

There was no answer at a number listed for Doshier.

A parent who attended the game said Covenant continued to make 3-pointers -- even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime.

Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.

There is no mercy rule in girls basketball that shortens the game or permits the clock to continue running when scores become one-sided. There is, however, "a golden rule" that should have applied in this contest, Edd Burleson, the director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools, said last week. Both schools are members of this association, which oversees private school athletics in Texas.

The story has received national attention, and the Dallas Academy team has been recognized for refusing to give up during the lopsided contest.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/story/11300892

So it is the teams fault for continuing to make 3 pointers? What the fuck are they supposed to do. Stop playing, turn the ball over or violate the shot clock? I am so sick of this pc friendly country that we live in where everyone gets a medal/championship. These kids need to learn that it is just a fucking game and not everyone wins. Thats apart of life. How are they going to function when they are older and expect everything to be just handed to them?

Also, what is this golden rule? I would much rather have my opponent do their thing instead of trying to throw the game and not give it their all because I suck.

Did you not read that Christian schools were involved? They were employing the press when they were up by 80+ and raucously cheering as they got closer to 100 points. If they didn't fire the coach there would have been a lot more controversy surrounding the outcome of the game. You can't "teach" at a Christian school and get off on burying a clearly inferior group of kids.

"Clearly inferior"?

This was a school for kids with learning disabilties, not the mentally retarded.

I read the Bible quite a bit in my younger days. I don't recall Jesus ever pontificating on the proper merits of sports conduct.

"Do unto others..."

Sorta applies, but the coach still broke the schools conduct code. I grew up near BYU where many a sports star was kicked off the team for Honor Code violations. This is almost exactly the same. The coaches refusal to apologize was likely the dagger to his coaching career at Covenant though.

It would have been one thing if they were taking mid-range jumpers and just putting back easy lay-ups off offensive rebounds with their scrub girls in, and the score got out of hand, but they were pressing and jacking threes. In a private school, that's going to get you in trouble.

Edit: "Clearly inferior" in that they had 8 players. They just lacked the talent pool to pull from. Also Dallas Academy hadn't won in four years.

So it is the teams fault for continuing to make 3 pointers? What the fuck are they supposed to do. Stop playing, turn the ball over or violate the shot clock?

I can't speak for Texas, but I'm not sure there actually is a shot clock in high school basketball. A referee might force you to pass and move the ball, but at least when I went to high school in Ohio (which admittedly was 12 years ago) you didn't have to shoot.

So it is the teams fault for continuing to make 3 pointers? What the fuck are they supposed to do. Stop playing, turn the ball over or violate the shot clock?

I can't speak for Texas, but I'm not sure there actually is a shot clock in high school basketball. A referee might force you to pass and move the ball, but at least when I went to high school in Ohio (which admittedly was 12 years ago) you didn't have to shoot.

High school doesn't have a shot clock in Utah either. And YKRG, they could have just limited themselves to mid-range jumpshots instead of three pointers. Sure they might still be racking up points, but it's not as bad. Also the article said they let up quite a bit when they hit 100 points, that shows intent to hit to that goal, not that it was a straight up ass whippin'.

"Clearly inferior"?

This was a school for kids with learning disabilties, not the mentally retarded.

When you're up 59-0 at the half, I'd say it's pretty obvious you might just barely be the better team.

I read the Bible quite a bit in my younger days. I don't recall Jesus ever pontificating on the proper merits of sports conduct.

I thought it has been well established that Jesus is only interested in football games anyway. Just ask Kurt Warner, cause without Jesus the Eagles might have won the NFC.