TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

Future HOFers on Your Team

Celtics: Garnett is in, Pierce and Allen probably need another ring or two.

Patriots: Brady, Moss, Seymour all should be in. If Wes Welker has a few more seasons like the last two, he could be borderline.

Red Sox: Smoltz and Beckett should be in. Pedroia and Papelbon are borderline. If Youkilis was younger and had a few more seasons like last year, he'd have an outside shot.

Bruins: Chara is borderline, and Kessel has enough scoring potential to put up impressive numbers over his career.

Really dude,really?

Patriots: Brady, Moss, Seymour all should be in. If Wes Welker has a few more seasons like the last two, he could be borderline.

Red Sox: Smoltz and Beckett should be in. Pedroia and Papelbon are borderline. If Youkilis was younger and had a few more seasons like last year, he'd have an outside shot.

Bruins: Chara is borderline, and Kessel has enough scoring potential to put up impressive numbers over his career.

Really dude,really?

I think he means that Pedroia and Papelbon are HOF Potential. As in very good young players who if they keep it up for the next 10 seasons plus would get in.

I'm seeing a lot of Dustin Pedroia. That's interesting. Pedroia had a little bit over a typical Brian Roberts season, and Roberts is never mentioned as a Hall of Fame class player. Of course Roberts never won the MVP award either. Pedroia would need to put up a career of 2008s, and I find that highly unlikely.

Isn't Youk in his mid to late 20's? He's got the potential to make it though if he keeps it up.

BASEBALL:

Red Sox:

Beckett, Smoltz (as a Brave), Pedroia and Papelbon both have the potential as well.

Mets:

David Wright is the only one that comes to mind off the top of my head. Jose Reyes has the skills, but I don't think he will make it.

Dodgers:

No one that I can think of other than Jeff Kent

FOOTBALL:

Giants:

Michael Strahan, although he is retired now. I can see Feegles getting in. Toomer is a long shot, but he's got numbers to do it. Plax could have been on pace, but not anymore.

HOCKEY:

Rangers:

Drury, Gomez (both not with the Rangers though), Lundquvist (although after the way he's been playing the last month it's hard to make an argument for him).

BASKETBALL:

Knicks:

The only one with an outside chance to make it is David Lee, and even that's a long shot.

Mavericks:

Dirk, Jason Kidd

Really dude,really?

I think he means that Pedroia and Papelbon are HOF Potential. As in very good young players who if they keep it up for the next 10 seasons plus would get in.

This.

I don't think Kevin Youkilis has a realistic shot. He turns 30 in March and he has 66 career home runs.

Surprised people are down on the Mets. David Wright, Johan Santana and Carlos Beltran are all Hall of Fame caliber players. Jose Reyes could be a Hall of Fame caliber player if he hits the next level in his prime. Carlos Delgado has 469 career home runs. Their injured closer is the best left handed reliever of all time. Their new closer is 27 years old with 208 career saves already under his belt. And the Phillies STILL beat them!

As for the Dodgers, Russell Martin in three MLB seasons is a two time All Star. Keep an eye on him.

Red Wings:

Nick Lidstrom-Obviously.

Chris Chelios-3 Norris Trophies, 3 Stanley Cups, longevity, don’t see why he wouldn’t get in.

Chris Osgood-3 Stanley Cups (2 as a starter), 2 Jennings Trophies, 12th all-time in wins. He probably won’t get in though.

The first two are locks. Ozzie is borderline but getting to 400 wins will definitely help his case.

I've been hearing this debating quite a bit in the last year, if Ozzie is a hall of famer. He's by no means a star like Roy or Brodure, but the stats and the championships are there. Dude SHOULD be a lock

(not counting this season)

W - 363

L - 195

T- 66

With a GPA under 2.5 and around 50 shut outs. 4 time all-star

He's 59-41 in the playoffs as well with a GPA of 2.11 and 13 shut outs

He SHOULD make it in, but he's not a super well known name

osgood, gomez and especially drury dont stand a chance. not even close. osgood's stats are definately helped by playing on some of the best red wing teams ever. remember him with the islanders? the blues? exactly.

I want to nominate Jorge Posada for the Hall of Very Good. He will go down as the third best hitting catcher to come up in the 1990's and play until the 2010ish. The first two being Piazza and IRod. Almost every year he had 20 HR's, 90 Rbi's and an ops plus of 120. I think he is the most underrated player of the past generation. I think for Jorge to have a shot at the HOF he would have to hit another 80 HR's and drive in 300 more runs to give himself 300 HR's 1200 RBI's which is quite good for a catcher. He is signed for another 3 years but time will tell if he can bounce back and contribute like he did pre 2008 injury year.

I could see a Vets' Committee inducting Posada someday. He'd be a better choice than some players with similar length careers like Chick Hafey or Ray Schalk.

I dont want to bash players from previous generations but there are alot of head scratchers who made it into the HOF from the catcher posistion. Roger Bresnahan, Buck Ewing, Rick Ferrell, Ernie Lombardi, Ray Schalk all stick out to me. I think that if a player is one of the top two/three players at their posistion year in and year out for over a decade they should be a lock. Posada has to pad his stats a little more to be able to be compared to Berra, Bench, Fisk, Carter, IRod and Piazza.

I'd like to see Jack Morris and Alan Trammell make it in still

Trammell doesn't have the monster numbers, but he's a 6 time all star, A.L. MVP, world series champion, won 4 golden gloves in 5 years. Also holds the MLB record for most double plays turned by a short stop and second baseman combo with Lou Whitaker. SI has him ranked as the 11th greatest shortstop.

it's not all about offense

What about Bernie Williams? Does he have a case for the VC at some point?

Absolutely. Hell, if I had a HOF vote I'd gladly cast it for Bernie.

I loved Bernie, him and Paul O'Neill were my two favorite players during the dynasty era. They both had very similiar career numbers when they retired. Bernie didn't show life at the start of his career like Jeter did and that cost Bernie a lot. I was listening to the radio and Mike Francessa was pointing out of how in Joe's new book that Joe wanted to keep Bernie in 2007 as a dh/ph/1b combo but Cashman was against it and wanted to use Doug M. and Andy Phillips in those roles. This is due to Cashman not wanting to have to release Bernie mid year if he didn't pan out. That just absolutely pissed me off that the Yankees did that to Bernie after a season where he hit .280 with 12 hr's and 60 rbi's in limited playing time.

Bernie put up some excellent seasons during his prime which really dont stand out due to the Steroid freaks who decided to ruin everything. Bernie was an all around great player whose best season was 1999 when he had 200 hits, 100 runs, 100 rbi's and 100 walks. He was the first player to do that since Lou Gehrig for the Yankees. The only other player to do it for the Yankees was Babe Ruth.

As for the Dodgers, Russell Martin in three MLB seasons is a two time All Star. Keep an eye on him.

I would've put him down, but I find it silly to put down players with not even a handful of seasons. It is just far too soon. A lot of the names mentioned so far have made me laugh, but I've kept it to myself.

I'm going to nominate my favorite Angel ever, Garrett Anderson for Hall of the Consistently Good.

Anderson has very simliar numbers to that of Bernie. Hits, HR's, BA, Doubles and Games Played. Bernie has the huge advantage in runs scored, OBP, Walks and OPS Plus. Has Anderson been signed yet?

I would've put him down, but I find it silly to put down players with not even a handful of seasons. It is just far too soon. A lot of the names mentioned so far have made me laugh, but I've kept it to myself.

Please do share, I would love to get your Opinion. This is what the message board is for.

Pistons:

Rasheed Wallace-Very talented, but unfortunately, he never fully lived up to all that potential. He did have great stretches at times, but he couldn't sustain that level of play. I don't believe he ever made an All-NBA team.

Richard Hamilton-Very good player, but he isn’t getting in. The 2004 Pistons may end up being the only championship team in NBA history (as far as I know) to win without having at least one HOF player.

Allen Iverson?

Oh, you have to share - that's half the fun of this. I nearly shit myself when YKRG mentioned Robby Cano earlier, but hey he had a POV and the debate was interesting.

I've found some of these choices just absolutely bizarre, especially for my Red Sox. Beckett? Youkilis? You've got to be kidding me.

W/R/T Pedroia: I don't see a future HOFer, but a ROY, MVP, GG and WS ring in two seasons is quite amazing. If 2008 is the norm and not the exception then he might have that sort of career. Still awfully early to even start that type of thinking. Hell Nomar looked like a Hall of Famer before he died.

I'm going to nominate my favorite Angel ever, Garrett Anderson for Hall of the Consistently Good.

Anderson has very simliar numbers to that of Bernie. Hits, HR's, BA, Doubles and Games Played. Bernie has the huge advantage in runs scored, OBP, Walks and OPS Plus. Has Anderson been signed yet?

No. I was quite saddened when both sides wouldn't budge and there's been no talks or anything. Anderson wants to retire an Angel, and get 3,000 hits. But the money is an issue.

I'm also going to say that Matt Holiday will be a HOFer one day. It'll take him a while to get in, but I see him eventually going in

Oh, you have to share - that's half the fun of this. I nearly shit myself when YKRG mentioned Robby Cano earlier, but hey he had a POV and the debate was interesting.

I've found some of these choices just absolutely bizarre, especially for my Red Sox. Beckett? Youkilis? You've got to be kidding me.

W/R/T Pedroia: I don't see a future HOFer, but a ROY, MVP, GG and WS ring in two seasons is quite amazing. If 2008 is the norm and not the exception then he might have that sort of career. Still awfully early to even start that type of thinking. Hell Nomar looked like a Hall of Famer before he died.

I never said Cano was a HOFer, I said he had HOF potential based off comparing him to previous HOFer's careers based on their first 4 seasons. That is a big difference.

I never said Cano was a HOFer, I said he had HOF potential based off comparing him to previous HOFer's careers based on their first 4 seasons. That is a big difference.

I understood the qualifier you were using, I just didn't agree. To me, Cano's first four years look like a guy who could run himself out a job in a couple of years, not a future HOFer. The comps you used showed players who were growing into superstars, with strong OBPs, defense and baserunning. Cano is on the opposite track. But, hey, I respect your opinion and enjoy the debate.

Please do share, I would love to get your Opinion. This is what the message board is for.

Since you asked...I'll mention all the players who I've laughed at thus far, because they haven't played at a Hall of Fame level for two seasons, even.

Joseph Addai

Jose Calderon

Greg Jennings

Cole Hamels

Asante Samuel (there aren't many corners in the Hall. He's just average compared to those who are)

Mike Richards

Robinson Cano

Darren McFadden

Curtis Granderson

Joe Flacco

Matt Stover

Brian Roberts

Nick Markakis

Todd Heap

Brad Lidge (Hall of Very Good)

Richard Hamilton

Jason Hanson

Joe Nathan (already 33 years old, four great years, but it takes more than that for a closer to get in. Not happening)

Dustin Pedroia (I'm itching to say Papelbon, but every year he's had is legit HOF stuff. Plus, Boston media gets anyone in. They run the world.)

Ted Bruschi

Jeff Feagles

Amani Toomer

Chris Drury

Scott Gomez

Henrik Lundqvist (he's great, but you have to be even better to get in the Hall.)

Josh Beckett

There we go. I did it in order. Those are just the ones I laughed at. There's even more that I think won't make any Hall of Fame.

osgood, gomez and especially drury dont stand a chance. not even close. osgood's stats are definately helped by playing on some of the best red wing teams ever. remember him with the islanders? the blues? exactly.

100% Agree.

Montreal Canadiens:

Borderline:

Andrei Markov: Like Zdeno Chara, Markov needs to put up some solid numbers in the next few seasons, and maybe a Cup too.

Carey Price: Second year, but he's gonna be around for a while with the Vezina trophy candidates.

Saku Koivu: He won't get in for his numbers, but if anything, his involvement with the community of Montreal and surrounding areas might get him noticed afterwards.

Seattle Seahawks:

Definitely:

Walter Jones.

Borderline:

Lofa Tatupu: Solid linebacker, but needs to put up better numbers to be recognized as one of the elites.

Patrick Kerney: Injured this year, but can put up some solid numbers.