TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

Future HOFers on Your Team

Who is Jose Calderon, and what sport does he play? I've never heard of him.

He's a PG for the Toronto Raptors. He's good, but he's put together like a season and a half of quality basketball. He's not even an All-Star, let alone a HOFer.

Who is Jose Calderon, and what sport does he play? I've never heard of him.

Point guard for the Raps.

He's really good, but again, it's the Hall of Fame.

St. Louis Cardinals

Albert Pujols - Unless he gets hit by a cement mixer tomorrow, he's getting in when all is said and done.

Tony La Russa - Pretty much a lock.

uh...Yadier Molina someday? Nah.

I guess I'll do the Rams.

Torry Holt - Possibly. Might take a while, but he's got a good chance.

Orlando Pace - If he could stay healthy and collect a few more Pro Bowls and All-Pros, maybe.

Yeah, not seeing anyone else. Slim pickings in St. Louis.

Pujols can retire tommorow and will get in on the first ballot.

He still needs two more seasons to qualify.

I am sure that the HOF would change the 10 year rule for him. Pujols can stink up the joint the next two years and be a first ballot HOF.

Well since I noticed one of my guys on the laughed at list i'll defend it.

Joe Nathan.

My point is he hasnt been on the DL that I can remember with the Twins and there isnt 1 closer that I would say is hands down better then him. So IF he keeps this pace up, and with his luck on not getting hurt,it seems possible he could be a legit HOF guy. Plus by the time he retires closer shouldnt be so tough to get into the HOF. All i'm saying.

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

Definite: Walter Jones

Maybe: Tatupu with a few more good years, maybe a ring.

Former player not eligible yet: Shaun Alexander. A longshot, but, did score 100 TD's, and an MVP. Also, Holmgren ain't a player...but he's a lock for Coach eventually.

SEATTLE MARINERS

Definite: Ichiro. I am saying definite because once he gets past 2500 hits, it's a done deal. Hell...if he makes it to 3000 he might be first ballot.

Former players not eligible: Edgar Martinez. Not his fault they didn't play him full time until he was 28. Best DH ever. And, a Seattle institution. Also, Ken Griffey Jr will go in as a Mariner I think. Jamie Moyer is making a run at a Vet's Pick. Randy Johnson won't go in as a Mariner, I think. He might though.

CHICAGO CUBS

Definite: Eh. This all depends on if guys like Ramierez, Lee, and Soriano can win a ring. If they do, punch their tickets. I think a Cubs World Series win would give a Cubs bump to the standouts on the team.

And I would like to add, that he hasn't played for them in over 30 years, but, god dammit, put RON SANTO in before all of his limbs are removed. Do it already.

Youkilis? You've got to be kidding me.

This:

If Youkilis was younger and had a few more seasons like last year, he'd have an outside shot.

...is hardly a vote of confidence, mere musings. Unless he's got a time machine hidden in that beard, he's not getting to the hall.

Youkilis? You've got to be kidding me.

This:

If Youkilis was younger and had a few more seasons like last year, he'd have an outside shot.

...is hardly a vote of confidence, mere musings. Unless he's got a time machine hidden in that beard, he's not getting to the hall.

He's still a lock for the Jewish Sports Hall of Fame!

Pistons:

Rasheed Wallace-Very talented, but unfortunately, he never fully lived up to all that potential. He did have great stretches at times, but he couldn't sustain that level of play. I don't believe he ever made an All-NBA team.

Richard Hamilton-Very good player, but he isn’t getting in. The 2004 Pistons may end up being the only championship team in NBA history (as far as I know) to win without having at least one HOF player.

Allen Iverson?

Yeah...for some reason his name completely left my mind.

osgood, gomez and especially drury dont stand a chance. not even close. osgood's stats are definately helped by playing on some of the best red wing teams ever. remember him with the islanders? the blues? exactly.

Osgood deserves to be in the hall, regardless if he played with great Red Wings team he still contributed and played a huge role on those teams. The Hockey HOF is a joke, it's basically the Hall of Very Good.

I could see a Vets' Committee inducting Posada someday. He'd be a better choice than some players with similar length careers like Chick Hafey or Ray Schalk.

I dont want to bash players from previous generations but there are alot of head scratchers who made it into the HOF from the catcher posistion. Roger Bresnahan, Buck Ewing, Rick Ferrell, Ernie Lombardi, Ray Schalk all stick out to me. I think that if a player is one of the top two/three players at their posistion year in and year out for over a decade they should be a lock. Posada has to pad his stats a little more to be able to be compared to Berra, Bench, Fisk, Carter, IRod and Piazza.

Ewing's deserving, he was one of the legitimate stars of 19th century baseball. Per game he was one of the greats, his games played totals just don't look good because they were playing shorter schedules, and catchers could not play every day then.

I'd like to know your opinion on where Garrett Anderson would rank, Al.

I don't see anything resembling an effective argument. Saying Anderson is comparable to Williams as YKRG did ignores the minor problem that Williams walked almost 700 more times then Anderson did. That's a full 54 points of career OBP. I wouldn't even say Hall of Very Good. Anderson was an above average player who had a couple very good years.

Osgood, Gomez and especially Drury dont stand a chance. Not even close. Osgood's stats are definately helped by playing on some of the best Red Wteams ever. remember him with the Islanders? The Blues? Exactly.

Osgood deserves to be in the hall, regardless if he played with great Red Wings team he still contributed and played a huge role on those teams. The Hockey HOF is a joke, it's basically the Hall of Very Good.

No, he doesn't. He just lucked out being the goalie on some amazing teams. Just because you think he HHOF is a joke and has lowered standards, doesn't mean we should start letting everyone in.

I'd like to know your opinion on where Garrett Anderson would rank, Al.

I don't see anything resembling an effective argument. Saying Anderson is comparable to Williams as YKRG did ignores the minor problem that Williams walked almost 700 more times then Anderson did. That's a full 54 points of career OBP. I wouldn't even say Hall of Very Good. Anderson was an above average player who had a couple very good years.

Al, I said that they were comparable based on stats. I also clearly pointed out that Bernie was much better in terms of Walks, Runs scored, OBP and OPS plus.

Bernie Williams

Games 2076

Hits 2336

Doubles 449

Homeruns 287

RBI's 1257

Batting Average .297

Garrett Anderson

Games 2013

Hits 2368

Doubles 489

Homeruns 272

Rbi's 1292

Batting Average .296

Runs

Bernie 1366

Anderson 1024

Walks

Bernie 1069

Anderson 397

OBP

Bernie .381

Anderson .327

OPS Plus

Bernie 125

Anderson 105

I want to point out that Anderson only had 8 seasons above 100, only 3 of them were above 120. His other 7 seasons were below 100. His peak was 131. Bernie on the other hand, had 13 seasons out of 16 where he had an ops plus of 100. He had 8 seasons in a row where his OPS Plus was above 120 and his 1994 season was 119 which would make that 9 seasons. From 1997-2002 Bernie had an OPS PLus of at least 140 every single year with the Peak being 160 in 1998.

Osgood, Gomez and especially Drury dont stand a chance. Not even close. Osgood's stats are definately helped by playing on some of the best Red Wteams ever. remember him with the Islanders? The Blues? Exactly.

No, he doesn't. He just lucked out being the goalie on some amazing teams. Just because you think he HHOF is a joke and has lowered standards, doesn't mean we should start letting everyone in.

We can use that argument for Grant Fuhr. He wasn't able to accomplish really anything after he left problay the most talented hockey team in the history of the NHL.

Chris Osgood wasn't even a bad goalie after he left Detroit, he was a good goalie who put up respectable numbers on shitty teams. He played a huge role in the Detroit of the 90's, yes he had a good team around him every great goalie who has won a stanley cup ring had a great team around him. Osgood is no Roy, Brodeur, Hasek, or Belfour but he's still HOF worthy. Mike Vernon also belongs there as well, he was just as good as Fuhr in the 90's and has won stanley cups with 2 differen teams, not many goalies have accomplished that.

mike vernon was nowhere close to as good as grant fuhr. come on man.

and chris osgood was medicore on the island and awful in st. louis. he was a back-up for several years. he's not even doing well this year. i think some people are going a little too overly-sentimental about recent championships.

if it took glenn anderson THIS long to get into the hall, nearly any nhl player that has been mentioned in this thread will have a tough time outside of the lidstroms, neidermyers, and brodeurs.

Wrong. Mike Vernon at the height of his career in the early 80's was just as good as Fuhr if not better. Just because Fuhr got more exposure because he played along the likes Gretzky, Kuri, Messier, Tikkanen, Coffey, Kevin Lowe etc, does not him a better talent. Vernon was putting out similar numbers, with an overlooked talented Calgary Flames team. There were agruments of years Vernon could've won the Veznia Trophy in a few of those years.

Too say Vernon was "nowhere close to as good as Grant Fuhr" proves your ignorance on the subject. Go back and brush up on your hockey history, partna...

and chris osgood was medicore on the island and awful in st. louis. he was a back-up for several years. he's not even doing well this year. i think some people are going a little too overly-sentimental about recent championships.

if it took glenn anderson THIS long to get into the hall, nearly any nhl player that has been mentioned in this thread will have a tough time outside of the lidstroms, neidermyers, and brodeurs.

He put decent numbers on mediorce teams, he wasn't a "bad" goalie at all. He just played for shitty team. We'll see when the time comes because he's time is far from over, he has a few years left in him.

Decided to do my HOF list.

Philly Eagles

HOF:

Brian Dawkins - Remain a top 5 safety for the majority of his career, was key part of a very good Eagles defense which was great for a number of years in this decade.

Possible HOF:

Donovan McNabb - Right now he's borderline, but his career is not over. Last year was one of his best years stat-wise, and depending if he leaves the Eagles or stays, and the Eagles get a recieving threat he can get in.

Flames

HOF:

Jarome Iginla - Career far from over, but right now his credentials are very impressive. Former Art Ross trophy winner, 7 straight 30 or more goal seasons, not to mention his International credentials... But mostly known for his leadership and all around game. One of the most classiest players to ever play the game. By the time his career is finish he will no doubt be a 1st ballot HOF.

Potential HOF:

Dion Phanuef - At the pace he is going, he will be a known as an all time great defenseman. Most likely will win a few Norris Trophy's before he retires. He is still only 23!

Michael Cammalleri - Another young and up coming player, he was good with LA, and since coming to Calgary he has been on fire. The future looks bright for him

Phillies

Potential HOF:

Ryan Howard - Will have over 500 HR's problay by the time he retires, and a few more HR crowns.

Jimmy Rollins - Still very young, with a few more All-Star seasons ahead of him, the MVP title does alot for him.

Chase Utley - Another young player with alot of good years of baseball left in him.

Hornets

Potential HOF:

Chris Paul - At the pace he is going, he will be mentioned with the likes of Magic, Isiah, Stockton, Kidd etc. Maybe even surpassing them all.

Wrong. Mike Vernon at the height of his career in the early 80's was just as good as Fuhr if not better. Just because Fuhr got more exposure because he played along the likes Gretzky, Kuri, Messier, Tikkanen, Coffey, Kevin Lowe etc, does not him a better talent. Vernon was putting out similar numbers, with an overlooked talented Calgary Flames team. There were agruments of years Vernon could've won the Veznia Trophy in a few of those years.

Too say Vernon was "nowhere close to as good as Grant Fuhr" proves your ignorance on the subject. Go back and brush up on your hockey history, partna...

clearly you are thinking more with your heart (citizen of calgary) than your brain (actually had been born during time). fuhr was the best goalie in the leage in the late 80's. he back stopped the oilers to all of their stanley cups (except 1), won the vezina (vernon never did), and was canada's goalie in the canada cup (87). his career has had more prestige and for great reason. i debunk osgood because he played on a great defensive system team during the nhl's scoring famine years (outside of last year), i promote fuhr because he played great during nhl's scoring boom years. and his team was great because of the offence, not AS MUCH the defence. sure fuhr ended up hitting on hard times after leaving edmonton, but vernon never reached the level of fuhr, and the only reason why he's in the hall is because he won the conn smyth on said defensive powerhouse red wings team.

Cammalleri is not a very good one either. This will be his first 40 goal season. And his only 40 goal season. I wish we could've kept him, but we didn't.

clearly you are thinking more with your heart (citizen of calgary) than your brain (actually had been born during time). fuhr was the best goalie in the leage in the late 80's. he back stopped the oilers to all of their stanley cups (except 1), won the vezina (vernon never did), and was canada's goalie in the canada cup (87). his career has had more prestige and for great reason. i debunk osgood because he played on a great defensive system team during the nhl's scoring famine years (outside of last year), i promote fuhr because he played great during nhl's scoring boom years. and his team was great because of the offence, not AS MUCH the defence. sure fuhr ended up hitting on hard times after leaving edmonton, but vernon never reached the level of fuhr, and the only reason why he's in the hall is because he won the conn smyth on said defensive powerhouse red wings team.

Regardless of where I from, stats don't lie... Vernon was just as good as Fuhr if not better(Almost every year Vernon had a better GAA) Fuhr got more exposure because he was playing with an Edmonton Oilers team that was star studded and extremely popular. Vernon could've easily won a few Veznias in those years but was overlooked. There are many goalies who won Vezina's that Vernon is a better goalie. Just because he was overlooked, doesn't mean you should discredit his accomplishments. How many Conn Symth trophies does Fuhr have? Excatly my point.

You talk about Osgood benefitting on a great team, no goalie in history benefited from a great team more so then Grant Fuhr.

For the record, I think Grant Fuhr is HOF worthy as well. But if Fuhr is in, so should Mike Vernon.

Cammalleri is not a very good one either. This will be his first 40 goal season. And his only 40 goal season. I wish we could've kept him, but we didn't.

I said potential... Michael Cammalleri is still pretty young, and has yet to hit his peak. Who knows how his career can go.