TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zappafrank

Does Rourke Being at WM Cheapen "The Wrestler"?

I hope this is the case, but as has been mentioned, it's probably just walking back the angle because "creative" realized there wasn't two months worth of storyline there AND it was going to hurt his Oscar chances.

The angle started really flat to boot.

And there was that whole paradox thing of wrestling being both fake and real at the same time.

I don't know, but when I always hear the argument of who would win in a real fight at shows I've been to come up, and there's quite a lot of people engaging in it... well, maybe it's just my area and I haven't traveled out of state to see all the other fans who still think it's real.

I hope this is the case, but as has been mentioned, it's probably just walking back the angle because "creative" realized there wasn't two months worth of storyline there AND it was going to hurt his Oscar chances.

The angle started really flat to boot.

And there was that whole paradox thing of wrestling being both fake and real at the same time.

This is why I don't really think this match will help the buy-rate or the company in the long run.

I just get this bad vibes with this idea. As if it's going to be in wcw realm of Hogan and Jay Leno :lol:

The paradox is what makes it a joke. The angle is based purely on how much fans are attached to the movie and if the majority of the fans of the movie are wrestling fans that is all they are targeting. However, if they are trying to get the movie goers then they won't be much emotionally involved because of the stuff exposed in the movie about how matches are worked. I just think this is a bad idea and will flop. The signs are there imo.

Hopefully Vince comes to his senses. Jericho has already got the mainstream rub from this with his name getting out there. Sometimes it's best to leave good enough alone.

Honestly, I hope Rourke really does pull out. I would actually like to see Jericho have a real wrestling match at Wrestlemania.

Same here.

Like my idea for a possible Jericho/Undertaker match

Cue Jerichos ego growing cause he punked out Rourke.

If this is true, I can't wait for Jerichos next promo on Raw. I'm sure (even with WWE's history of 'forgetting' angles) that they won't just forget about Jericho's interview last week, and if Vince is ticked off, we'll definately get something.

They need to be careful how to book this. I'm convinced this is still going to happen, but they need to be careful. With Big Show-Mayweather, it worked to their advantage since ultimately Big Show came over with the Universe considering it looked like the only way Mayweather could win was have his handlers help and it became 6 on 1. Jericho is going to continue to push the issue right up until the night after the Oscars and then Rourke comes out as Randy the Ram to put a stop to it.

They need to be careful how to book this. I'm convinced this is still going to happen, but they need to be careful. With Big Show-Mayweather, it worked to their advantage since ultimately Big Show came over with the Universe considering it looked like the only way Mayweather could win was have his handlers help and it became 6 on 1. Jericho is going to continue to push the issue right up until the night after the Oscars and then Rourke comes out as Randy the Ram to put a stop to it.

Also, they did have Mayweather’s handlers basically try to punk out midway through the match and take him to the back to avoid a worse beating. And Mayweather did have to knock Big Show out with brass knuckles.

I think Jericho would have needed to attack the pathetic has-beens who still wrestle in high school gyms for the pop of the five people in attendence and the loser indie guys who will never make it big but keep on truckin because they can't accept the fact that they are going to work at McDonalds their whole loves. Make Rourke the symbol for these wrestlers - I think fans would get behind it.

Of course that doesn't explain the fatal flaw of this angle which makes it unworkable.

Dude enough with the "paradox" thing. Wrestling is worked. The fans know it's worked. WWE regularly produces shows and DVDs on how worked it is. Yes, Vince may go back on that from time to time because he clearly suffers from bi-polar disorder.. but that doesn't change the fact that the entire fanbase that's older than 8 years old knows its worked. And those that are under 8? Well, I doubt they're keeping themselves up at night thinking about how "unworkable" this angle is.

I think Jericho would have needed to attack the pathetic has-beens who still wrestle in high school gyms for the pop of the five people in attendence and the loser indie guys who will never make it big but keep on truckin because they can't accept the fact that they are going to work at McDonalds their whole loves. Make Rourke the symbol for these wrestlers - I think fans would get behind it.

Of course that doesn't explain the fatal flaw of this angle which makes it unworkable.

You must hate time travel movies

I think it does, and I think it kills Rourke's chance at an Oscar, but I don't think Rourke cares. I think Mickey wants to do it, he seems to get along well with the old timers and given the road he has traveled (at his own doing) they sort of have the same stories to share. I think Mickey wants to see if he could work a real match.

I HATE the storyline because in "The Wrestler" wrestling is shown as fake/scripted. Now we all know this to be the cace but Chris Jericho the wrestling character (read not Chris Irvine) is a professional wrestler, his fights in the ring are supposed to be real. Chris Jericho, the scripted character, is acknowledging that wrestling is fake for the sake of the angle. So if wrestling is said to be fake in a storyline, his character is fake - It's a paradox.

parabox.jpg

See now that I get.

You must hate time travel movies

Steer clear of the Lost thread, AmDrag. ;)

Dude enough with the "paradox" thing. Wrestling is worked. The fans know it's worked. WWE regularly produces shows and DVDs on how worked it is. Yes, Vince may go back on that from time to time because he clearly suffers from bi-polar disorder.. but that doesn't change the fact that the entire fanbase that's older than 8 years old knows its worked. And those that are under 8? Well, I doubt they're keeping themselves up at night thinking about how "unworkable" this angle is.

I'm not arguing that there is anybody who doesn't know it is fake. The point is is that in the wrestling storyline wrestling is supposed to be real, the wrestlers are supposed to be fighting in the ring. By bringing "The Wrestler" into the storyline world you are essentially running a storyline where wrestling is both real and fake at the same time. Chris Jericho the on-screen character is a real wrestler, he really fights in the ring and really hates the fans and Stephanie McMahon, however Mickey Rourke played a wrestler in the movie that showed wrestling is fake. So Jericho (the onscreen character) watches the movie and his beef isn't "Hey, Rourke said everything I do is fake and scripted" but is accepting the portrayal so his character is saying I'm fake; I'm just a scripted character when I'm out here and my matches are scripted too and we really don't hate each other.

It's hard to describe I guess.

And yes I do despise time travel storylines. "Lost" especially included because I was a big fan the first three seasons.

Not sure if this has been brought up, but did you guys realize that this whole Rourke thing is a paradox? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow...

So you're saying if Rourke wrestles then there will be some kind of paradox??

I'm not arguing that there is anybody who doesn't know it is fake. The point is is that in the wrestling storyline wrestling is supposed to be real, the wrestlers are supposed to be fighting in the ring. By bringing "The Wrestler" into the storyline world you are essentially running a storyline where wrestling is both real and fake at the same time. Chris Jericho the on-screen character is a real wrestler, he really fights in the ring and really hates the fans and Stephanie McMahon, however Mickey Rourke played a wrestler in the movie that showed wrestling is fake. So Jericho (the onscreen character) watches the movie and his beef isn't "Hey, Rourke said everything I do is fake and scripted" but is accepting the portrayal so his character is saying I'm fake; I'm just a scripted character when I'm out here and my matches are scripted too and we really don't hate each other.

It's hard to describe I guess.

And yes I do despise time travel storylines. "Lost" especially included because I was a big fan the first three seasons.

Honestly, is it any different from Zeus coming to wrestle Hogan after filming No Holds Barred? This kind of over-thinking of wrestling (of all things) really bothers me. It's like complaints about when the cameraman doesn't intervene. It's ficticious TV (hence the cameraman) show!

If they had Rourke come out as The Ram to wrestle somebody like Santino and do it tongue in cheek, it'd probably be fun and something the vast majority of people wouldn't have a problem with. They wouldn't have to worry about paradoxes, since Santino's already called out Santa Claus and the universe is still intact. It'd fill the diva cooldown spot on the card, still get Rourke involved, still plug The Wrestler, still mooch off of The Wrestler.

But come on... they're having the Wrestler Of The Year, the guy THEY chose as wrestler of the year, calling out some guy who played a wrestler in a movie.

Nevermind a paradox, it's fucking silly.

Honestly, is it any different from Zeus coming to wrestle Hogan after filming No Holds Barred?

No offence, but if this is your counter arguement to "it's stupid"... I think general consensus is that Zeus coming in from a movie was stupid and that he stunk in the ring, so I think it's more of an arguement for the 'con' side to adopt.

Honestly, is it any different from Zeus coming to wrestle Hogan after filming No Holds Barred?

No offence, but if this is your counter arguement to "it's stupid"... I think general consensus is that Zeus coming in from a movie was stupid and that he stunk in the ring, so I think it's more of an arguement for the 'con' side to adopt.

No, my comment had nothing to do with whether or not the angle is a good idea or stupid.