TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

Sports Cliches

Thanking the lord god in heaven above has got to be the worst cliche ever...take Kurt Warner when the Cardinals won the NFC Championship...the Lord was with him, the Lord was on his side, the Lord got him through it. What? Jesus sports Cardinals gear? Jesus hates the Eagles? I'm sure Jesus hates the city, but surely not the guys on the team.

When people refer to the Pittsburgh QB as a soccer player from Brazil. It sounds especially creepy when Bill Cowher says it. Makes me think he has a lot of posters of him in his house.

Um, what?

Thanking the lord god in heaven above has got to be the worst cliche ever...take Kurt Warner when the Cardinals won the NFC Championship...the Lord was with him, the Lord was on his side, the Lord got him through it. What? Jesus sports Cardinals gear? Jesus hates the Eagles? I'm sure Jesus hates the city, but surely not the guys on the team.

Not even Jesus could love that town.

Actually, the only Onion article ever to make me laugh (for the right reasons) was one about an athlete blaming God/Jesus for his team's loss.

Check out this quote from Mike Sweeney yesterday after he signed a deal with the Mariners. I count at least six cliches.

I've definitely paid my dues. I'm going to go to camp, put my head down, take the bull by the horns and leave everything on the field. If it doesn't work out and I don't make the trip to Minnesota for Opening Day, I'll probably sail off into the sunset to San Diego with my wife and kids and look to the next chapter.

Maybe he was auditioning for a sports broadcasting job in case he doesn't make the team.

Referring to playing a last place team - "You can't overlook them, they get paid just like we do"

Referring to an ugly win - "We'll take it"

I love when a coach won't accept injuries as an excuse for his own team but when evaluating a weaker opponent, he'll be the first to mention that they have been hurt by the injury bug and that it is always tougher to succeed when that happens.

When coach is on the hotseat - "Coach is preparing us the right way, we're just not executing"

We let it off the hook!

My dad and I were driving from his house to a bar during the first quarter of the Steelers-Ravens, and we had the game on AM radio. The host said "and I'm back, with Dennis Green doing colour". We didn't realise he was doing that now, so we thought it may have been a coincidence. Then Green started talking, and even though he was calm, his voice was exactly the same as it was in "if you wanna crown 'em, then crown their ass!". It was hilarious. I can't imagine Green, say, answering his wife when she offers him breakfast. "I want some toast....and cereal....with a glass of milk!"

This thread is what we thought it was.

Classics? You're talking about Classics?

Classics?

Not even Jesus could love that town.

Actually, the only Onion article ever to make me laugh (for the right reasons) was one about an athlete blaming God/Jesus for his team's loss.

Reminds me. Philadelphia is the worst town to play in because of its fans. Talk about cliches.

Check out this quote from Mike Sweeney yesterday after he signed a deal with the Mariners. I count at least six cliches.

I've definitely paid my dues. I'm going to go to camp, put my head down, take the bull by the horns and leave everything on the field. If it doesn't work out and I don't make the trip to Minnesota for Opening Day, I'll probably sail off into the sunset to San Diego with my wife and kids and look to the next chapter.

Maybe he was auditioning for a sports broadcasting job in case he doesn't make the team.

Like Nuke Laloosh, Crash Davis taught him well.

We let it off the hook!

My dad and I were driving from his house to a bar during the first quarter of the Steelers-Ravens, and we had the game on AM radio. The host said "and I'm back, with Dennis Green doing colour". We didn't realise he was doing that now, so we thought it may have been a coincidence. Then Green started talking, and even though he was calm, his voice was exactly the same as it was in "if you wanna crown 'em, then crown their ass!". It was hilarious. I can't imagine Green, say, answering his wife when she offers him breakfast. "I want some toast....and cereal....with a glass of milk!"

Ha, same here. I kept expecting him to break out in a rant with his raspy voice.

This thread is what we thought it was.

Classics? You're talking about Classics?

You kiddin' me?

Hello! You post to win the thread. You post to win the thread! You post to win, and I don't care you don't have any wins, you go post to win. When you start telling me it doesn't matter, then ban him, get out!