TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tonyjaymzretro

The TSM Hall of Very Good

This is an off shoot of the Future HoFers thread. This is for guys who you think is very good, btu not quite Hall of famers. The solid but unspectacular, The Overlooked gems, etc. Post why you think they deserve to be a HOVGer, but not a HoFer. My nominees:

DerrickMason.jpg

Derrick Mason

He has solid stats: 790 recs, 10061 yards, and 52 TDs, but he isn't an elite WR. The fact that he doesn't bring any attention to himself probably keeps him out of the HoF, he would need a ring to get in. But for the HOVG? Most certainly. He has the tenure(12 years of solid years). He plays through pain(He played msot of this post season pretty mcuh with one arm) and he is a solid team player. If he gets a ring, I can see an argument for HoF but I think he fits in the Hall of Very Good for right now.

I'm not going to list their stats or whatnot but these are guys who I saw play a lot (only NY teams) who meet the criteria of enshrinement in the HOVG but not quite the HOF.

Baseball:

Bernie Williams

Don Mattingly

Dwight Gooden

Keith Hernandez

Basketball:

Charles Oakley

Football:

Phil Simms

Hockey:

Mike Richter

There's a lot more receivers you could put in this category.

Keenan McCardell-He's 10th all-time in receptions and 20th all-time in receiving yards (although there's some active players set to pass him in both categories).

Muhsin Muhammad-21st in receptions, 22nd in receving yards, 2 Super Bowl appearances, one 1st-team All-Pro appearance to his resume.

Irving Fryar: 5-time Pro Bowler, top-15 in all major receving categories.

Rod Smith: 3-time Pro Bowler, 2 Super Bowls, back-to-back 100-rec seasons, top-15 in receptions and yards.

Jimmy Smith: 5-time Pro Bowler, top-15 in receptions and yards, had a stretch of 9 out of 10 1,000-yard seasons, two 110+ reception seasons.

Joey Galloway: Over 10,000 yards, 21st in receving TD's.

If Amani Toomer plays another year, he could get to 700 receptions, 10,000 yards, and 60 TD's.

Sterling Sharpe (Would've been HOF if his career didnt get cut short)

Wesley Walls (5 pro bowl apperences, 4 all pro apperenceS)

Ken Norton Jr(3 pro bowls, 2 all pros, a huge part of Cowboys dynasty)

I'll name a few guys already in some Halls of Fame who belong in this one instead.

Cam Neely

Jim Rice

Bill Mazeroski

Calvin Murphy

In any case, the Baseball HOF is the most "correct."

I'll name a few guys already in some Halls of Fame who belong in this one instead.

Cam Neely

Completely agree. I am a big fan of his as well, but injuries cut his career short...

If he's win, Eric Lindros and Pavel Bure, both of whom who have accomplished alot more then Neely should no question get in.

Cam Neely defined the power forward position. He's one of the best power forwards ever. One of the best playoff performers of his generation too.

But Neely only had three great seasons.

I don't dispute that he defined the position. His case is just tough.

One of the best playoff performers of his generation too.

It's hard to argue that point with no ring, there are many better playoff performers.

Hard to blame him for not beating those Oilers teams. And everyone went on and on about Raymond Bourque being a playoff warrior when he rode the backseat to the cup in 2001. Bourque was a key member of those teams too. The Oilers were just better. The fact is that Neely is 4th in goals per game in the playoffs (ahead of Gretzky, behind Lemieux, Bossy and Richard). He scored 57 goals in 93 games in the playoffs. And of course, the "what if" thing had Samuelsson not crippled him in the 91 playoffs...we'll never know.

I wish I could put Eric Davis in the HOVG. Injuries and illness cut his career short, but he was a very good player when he was healthy. He was three homeruns short of being the first 40/40 player, and he only played in 129 games that year. I dream of a healthy Eric Davis tearing it up for the Reds, but he just couldn't keep it together.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/daviser01.shtml

QB Jim Everett... the late 80's/early 90's "Archie Manning" of my generation. He had only 2 seasons with more than 7 W despite his numbers

- Career 57.7% completion rate

- Threw 203 TD vs. 175 INT

- Had 5 seasons where he threw for more than 3,800 yards

- Had 6 seasons with over 20 TD and led the NFL with 31 and 29 in back to back years

- Ran for almost 600 yards in his career

- In an 8 season stretch, he threw for over 20 TD in 6 of them

On the downside, he had 6 seasons with 17 or more INT

neely changed hockey but didn't play long enough to deserve.

That...doesn't make sense. He changed hockey in the short amount of time he played. That's one of the reasons he's in the hall of fame.

01F.jpg

The first guy to immediately come to my mind. One of my favourite players as a kid. He won 16+ games 6 times and was the ace on some great Jays teams in the 80s when I was growing up, before having his career destroyed by injuries.

176 Wins, 3.44 Career ERA. Not a Hall of Famer by any means, but he was a very good player for a decade. Jays fans adored this guy back in the day, and him finally getting his no-hitter after losing a couple to the last batter in the 9th is one of my personal top ten favourite sporting moments.

Mike Richter

The best American goaltender of all time is a Hall of Famer.

I would say John Vanbiesbrouck.

Barrasso could be argued too.

Mike Richter

The best American goaltender of all time is a Hall of Famer.

I would say John Vanbiesbrouck.

Barrasso could be argued too.

Forgot he was even American... Him or Vanbiesbrouck, I'd problay lean towards Barrasso though, I think he should be in the HOF!

That...doesn't make sense. He changed hockey in the short amount of time he played. That's one of the reasons he's in the hall of fame.

you need more than one reason to be in the hall. you need to be multi-faceted and not have only 4 years of dominance. his reckless style changed hockey but ruined his longevity. i just dont think he dominated for long enough.

you need more than one reason to be in the hall. you need to be multi-faceted and not have only 4 years of dominance. his reckless style changed hockey but ruined his longevity. i just dont think he dominated for long enough.

That's one reason. The other two are his definition of the power forward position and his outstanding playoff numbers.

Jack Morris. I would love to see him in the HOF but I don't think it will happen. Black Jack had the most wins of any pitcher in the 90's, pitched the 2nd greatest WS game ever behind Don Larsen's perfect game. Granted he had a somewhat high ERA for a possible HOF pitcher but he also was willing to have a slight change in his ERA because he was willing to save some wear and tear on his bullpen.

Jack Morris. I would love to see him in the HOF but I don't think it will happen. Black Jack had the most wins of any pitcher in the 90's, pitched the 2nd greatest WS game ever behind Don Larsen's perfect game. Granted he had a somewhat high ERA for a possible HOF pitcher but he also was willing to have a slight change in his ERA because he was willing to save some wear and tear on his bullpen.

This strikes me as something we can easily look up.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/pspli...a02&year=00

Scroll down and you'll find Morris's splits by inning. His numbers actually get better as the innings go on. It doesn't prove much about Morris's clutch performance, pitchers only get left in late generally when they are performing well. It does show that his ERA probably wasn't hurt by staying in games later.

I don't think Morris would be a horrible selection though. That '84 Tigers team won 104 games and the World Series in dominant fashion, yet no Hall of Famers? They should have Trammell, maybe Morris and maybe Whitaker.

For the record, Sandy Koufax 1965 was the greatest game seven pitching performance in World Series history. Complete game shutout, ten strikeouts, the Twins never got a runner to third base. And Koufax pitched on two days rest!