TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TMC1982

Biggest "Drop the Ball" Moment in Ever

These certainly aren't among the biggest, but I'll quickly throw them in:

Goldberg not winning the Elimination Chamber match (and the title) with the crowd pretty solidly behind him at SummerSlam '03. Only to actually win the title in a match (retirement stips) where it was obvious he would win.

Orton getting pretty over as a cocky heel, winning the World Title at SummerSlam '04, the Evolution turn coming the next night with no real tease or development, and Orton losing the title within a month as a pussy face.

These certainly aren't among the biggest, but I'll quickly throw them in:

Goldberg not winning the Elimination Chamber match (and the title) with the crowd pretty solidly behind him at SummerSlam '03. Only to actually win the title in a match (retirement stips) where it was obvious he would win.

That crowd was more than pretty solidly behind Goldberg; they were going nuts for him. That crowd was ready to explode and were primed for Goldberg to win. Instead, we got the same, lame Game finish with the sledgehammer. I don't think I've ever seen a crowd get so badly deflated. That's one of the few match finishes to actively get me angry because that night you had the feeling of something really special, something really big that you very rarely get, and it was all flushed away because of ego and politics.

You guys are looking at the Invasion angle all wrong. It's not about booking with what you could have had (Goldberg, Hall, Nash, Hogan), but with what you actually had. WCW clearly needed to be booked as the underdogs faces in this angle, and I'm convinced that Paul Heyman did his damnedest to put them over that way, albeit as the heels the were booked as.

See evidence here for how the angle should have been framed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vswZ73WETpc

Later, the angle was run properly in the lead up to the first One Night Stand PPV, with ECW taking the place of WCW. Paul Heyman knew what he was doing. Vince McMahon simply buried the WCW because he could, then he brought in their "biggest" talent (The NWO, Bischoff, Goldberg, Rey Jr.) after burying their most promising (Booker T, The Natural Born Thrillers, etc.)