TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

This week in the NBA

I'll say this- the playoffs are going to be a lot of fun to watch this year, no matter who's there.

Unless any comibnation of Kobe, Lebron, Dwight Howard, or Kevin Garnett go down with an injury.

Mo Williams got snubbed again. It's not that Ray Allen isn't deserving, but Williams, as a PG from a top-tier team, was such an obvious replacement for Jameer Nelson. It's quite odd that Cleveland is only sending one All-Star this year.

I don't think the Lakers will be making the finals at all actually. Maybe the conference finals.

Good point. I think the Lakers are still the best in the West, but it's going to be tough to get past San Antonio. The Lakers might not have won that series last year with a healthy Ginobli and SA has only gotten better this season.

Regardless, the Conference finals are going to be epic this year.

Ray Allen is having a good year, but Mo Williams has been the difference and one of the reasons Cleveland is hanging around the top East this year.

As a Laker fan, San Antonio concerns me, but we are too quick or athletic and big for them, even without Bynum. If Houston ever gets their act together, this is a team is capable of beating the Lakers in playoffs.

I'll say this though about the Ray Allen selection. Ray Allen on any other team is a shoe-in for the All-Star game. I don't buy that crap that you have to be on a winning team to be in the All-Star game. If you're in it with a winning team, you should be able to get in on a losing team, and same thing in reverse. Last year Mo Williams wasn't seen as an All-Star player so why this year? Cause he has LeBron by his side? That makes no sense to me.

I'm not worried about any of these teams. Houston is the only team that makes me wonder, but they'd get bounced before the point at which they'd play the Lakers.

Guest Vitamin X

Dallas is a surprisingly tough team. I wouldn't count them out. Houston is overrated, and San Antonio is fading while Phoenix is picking up steam ever since they got Richardson.

What about New Orleans? I say they're kind of inconsistent, and losing CP3 for any period of time is going to be tough for them. I remember a few games ago the Blazers played them, Paul went down when they were up by 17, then all of a sudden Portland came back- on the road- and won fairly decisively.

Dallas is a surprisingly tough team. I wouldn't count them out. Houston is overrated, and San Antonio is fading while Phoenix is picking up steam ever since they got Richardson.

What about New Orleans? I say they're kind of inconsistent, and losing CP3 for any period of time is going to be tough for them. I remember a few games ago the Blazers played them, Paul went down when they were up by 17, then all of a sudden Portland came back- on the road- and won fairly decisively.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/13427209

I just read that article today saying that they may end up firing the coach and/or trading Shaq or Amare before the deadline. I haven't been able to follow this season very closely, but I'm wondering if they don't consider a playoff spot worth competing for if it means they can't get younger/better/less cap strapped by next season.

Steve Kerr will not rest until he's killed every inch of the run and gun Suns that people used to like to watch. It's pretty funny actually, not that i was ever a big fan of the Suns, but there was no denying they had a soul and something unique to them that people liked.

The writing's on the wall in Phoenix. Every indication is that Suns are thisclose to blowing up the whole team. Amare could be had today in the right trade and Shaq's a goner if they can find someone to take on that salary. That run is over in Phoenix.

Amare is such a disappointing player. He has a nice all around offensive game, but just refuses to play a lick of defense. I'd like to see him in New York if he does get traded.

As of right now Phoenix is a half game out of the playoffs, with Utah holding the 8 seed. If your Phoenix, do make a push to get in for a likely 4 game sweep in the first round, or do you blow it up and hope for the best in the lottery?

Phoenix should have blown it up already. Most of their best/most tradeworthy players are pushing 30 or beyond it, and if they send those guys away then they have no core to build on. Nash will be 35 in a couple of days, Hill is 36, Shaq turns 37 next month and those guys are heavily involved in their rotation. Amare plays no 'D'. They traded Bell and Diaw for a guy who is 28 and has never played on a good team. Barbosa might be their best young player but he doesn't get enough minutes and Barnes is a journeyman averaging 26 minutes a night. The window shut when Horry hipchecked Nash and he oversold the impact getting his teammates to come off of the bench, and well we all know what happened next.

I know Kerr gets a lot of the blame, but lets not forget that ownership has sold draft picks and nickel and dimed their way into NBA purgatory (aka being just good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to win a round or two).

Dallas has went from ninth seed to sixth seed pretty fast, but they only have a one game lead over Houston. Phoenix will have to hold off Utah for the eight seed, so I can see them moving Amare or Shaq, or possibly both. The Suns offense doesn't seem as explosive as it used to be, and the loss of Raja Bell hurts them on the defensive end.

The NBA took away LeBron's triple double from the Knicks game thanks to what had been called his 9th rebound not counting.

The difference between the 4 seed in the West (Portland) and the 8 seed (Utah) is 3 games. The difference between 2 and 8 is only 6 games. Phoenix is a 1/2 game out of eighth place, and only 3 1/2 out of 4th place! People are talking like they're going to miss the playoffs when a couple weeks from now they might be the 5 seed.

It's really stupid to read too much out of the standings in early February. A lot of shuffling between 4 and 9 is going to go on before the season is over, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Denver fall into that pack.

The reaction to Phoenix has more to do with the general disposition of the team than the record. They hate the coach, they hate Kerr and they seem to hate each other. Shaq wants out, Amare wants out and the team looks completely despondent most nights. Maybe that's reading too much into stuff that doesn't appear in the won-loss column, but I think they are about one year away from being a lottery team.

Guest Smues

So apparantly the game of horse has been changed to a game of Geico. Give me a damn break. A game of horse brought to you by Geico wouldn't have worked?

The NBA took away LeBron's triple double from the Knicks game thanks to what had been called his 9th rebound not counting.

Wow, I didn't expect that. That ninth rebound did go to Ben Wallace, though.

The Knicks blow another game. Had a 4 point lead on the Celtics going into the 4th Quarter and end up getting blown out. I am getting really sick of Quentin Richardson and his 37 percent field goal percentage. He has to be the worst starter in the league. 2010 cannot come soon enough. FUCK YOU ISIAH.

Scandal~! Seriously I saw some Cavs fans at the ESPN boards claiming the NBA is out to get Lebron and the Cavs. So they got it right. Good for them.

And the Bobcats join the Pacers (!!!) as the only two teams in the league that have beaten both the Lakers and the Celtics this year.

Pacers have now beat the Lakers, Celtics, and Magic. So, in your face! :P

Dear Boston fans,

Your sense of entitlement to be in every sport's championship game/series makes you all douchebags. This includes transplant fans who do not live in the Boston area.

Sincerely,

Bostonsuxcox

The stache is heading back to the west coast.

From espn.com

Lakers swap Radmanovic for Morrison

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Charlotte Bobcats sent struggling forward Adam Morrison and reserve Shannon Brown to the Los Angeles Lakers on Saturday for forward Vladimir Radmanovic.

The move is the third trade the Bobcats have made this season in a roster shakeup under first-year coach Larry Brown.

Morrison was the third overall pick of the 2006 draft and managing partner Michael Jordan's first major move since buying into the Bobcats. But Morrison had failed to crack the starting lineup and his minutes had declined under Brown.

Morrison will give the Lakers an outside shooting threat, while the 6-foot-10 Radmanovic gives the Bobcats more depth up front.

That last sentence doesn't make much sense. Radmanovic is a better shooter than Morrison.

Guest Smues

Booooo-urns. I've already conceeded in my mind that the Lakers are winning it all this year, but I didn't need to see Adam Morrison winning a ring.

I think he'll work well in the triangle.

I think he'll be really good in the triangle. Morrison always seemed to be that "nice cog" third option guy to me.

That is a shock trade.

Shannon Brown is a good catch. Phil likes big guards, and from what I've seen of Brown, he can get to the rim. Morrison will get a lot of open shots in our offense, if he can't cut it, he'll be out of the league. He'll get a chance.

I know it's just a rumor but I have NO idea why LA would do that. When Bynum comes back, they'll be such a logjam. Not to mention risking Shaq/Kobe tension. They do remain, however, porbably the only team that Shaq could go to.

If I was Phoenix though, I'd keep Shaq and trade Amare. Shaq's done after next year anyway and, since Nash isn't going anywhere, give it a shot with Nash/Shaq/Richardson/whoever they get for Amare. then start again in 2010 when I'm sure Nash will bolt to New York or Toronto.