TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - February 2009

HERE COMES THE PAIN, COLE!

Really though, I was glad to hear JR and Tazz were going to be the permanent commentary team on SD. At first. I remember them calling Royal Rumble 2005, and it seemed as though they clicked perfectly. Now, it's nothing but Tazz's tired jokes and forced laughing, and JR just phoning it in.

Striker really found his niche as a commentator for ECW. I think he and Grisham are the best commentary team in the company, maybe in all of wrestling. WWE must recognize this as well, since they won the Slammy for best commentary team.

Should I go and confess my sins for liking the commentary of Matt Striker and Todd Grisham? I mean, they're not amazing, but you can feel the potential they have to be the mainstay announcers for Raw in the near future. They're willing to work the style WWE wants to push (story telling and putting characters over) and 'mostly' manage to do it without it sounding too forced (Michael Cole).

Besides, Matt Striker has that natural ability on the mic to sound good/funny/spontaneous.

I'll see that and raise you a "I think Grisham is pretty damn good". Obviously, he doesn't have the tenure of a JR/King, but he rarely sounds like an idiot (Juh-shin aside). He doesn't pretend to know-it-all and seems to let things come much more naturally than any other commentator in WWE (other than maybe Striker and Lawler). He doesn't shreik all that much, just for a nearfall here and there. Does a good job of letting Striker get his jokes in w/o stepping on his toes. Doesn't have an overbearing voice . . . rather he has a good background voice.

For a long time Grisham was the new Todd Pettingill, but he's slowly earning my respect as a commentator. He just needs a little more fire on occasion.

People give Todd Pettengill a hard time, and maybe he wasn't a great announcer, but fucked if he wasn't a good hype man. He definitely knew what he was doing.

He was a damn good hype man, I'll agree with you there. I'll even admit I sometimes miss him on WWE.

You know who I miss? Josh Matthews and Bill DeMott.

Matthews is calling FCW with Scotty Goldman right now. I would love to hear their stuff.

Matthews is calling FCW with Scotty Goldman right now. I would love to hear their stuff.

It's not good.

However Scotty's wwe.com show is getting better - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtqtqWfWDCA (Feb 4th edition)

Also regarding announcers - the wwe recently put out a help wanted ad looking for a PBP guy with at least three years PBP experience. Maybe this will be for the new "Wwe Superstars" show.

I've heard Colt do commentary before and... it's not his strongest suit. He's okay, but not as good as you'd naturally assume.

I can imagine Colt sounds too markish on commentary for some reason.

And what the hell. Is that Ashley thing legit? If so she puts herself over as a complete moron, and just enforces that 13 year olds attack.

RE: best commentating teams:

I always thought Velocity was really good when Matthews was paired with either Bill DeMott or The Cat. Both guys were pretty insightful on color, which is something I think has been really lacking since forever. I especially liked when DeMott used the telestrator. And Matthews knew his history.

Cole/Tazz and Cole/JBL on SD were really good since as color guys, Tazz/JBL helped you understand why what was going on in the ring was important from a psychology standpoint. People love JR and the King, but the King is really there just to add quips. He's not like Ventura or Heenan who tried to get inside the mind of the wrestlers.

And of course, Grisham and Striker go without saying.

Don't you have to approve comments on myspace? If so, why would she approve that to begin with?

I believe you have to change your settings if you want your comments to require approval.

She probably can't figure out how.