TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - February 2009

RE: best commentating teams:

I always thought Velocity was really good when Matthews was paired with either Bill DeMott or The Cat. Both guys were pretty insightful on color, which is something I think has been really lacking since forever. I especially liked when DeMott used the telestrator. And Matthews knew his history.

Cole/Tazz and Cole/JBL on SD were really good since as color guys, Tazz/JBL helped you understand why what was going on in the ring was important from a psychology standpoint. People love JR and the King, but the King is really there just to add quips. He's not like Ventura or Heenan who tried to get inside the mind of the wrestlers.

And of course, Grisham and Striker go without saying.

King hasn't been the same since he came back after The Kat incident.

I thought it was after Road Dogg spouted out that "puppies" line in 1999.

I think you're right, Road Dogg was the first one to mention "Puppies" and than King just never let it go saying the word every 3 to 5 minutes.

I thought it was after Road Dogg spouted out that "puppies" line in 1999.

We have a winner.

To be fair King's still capable of having his moments. The problem is, WWE don't have heel commentators anymore. That was really King's strong suit and I think he's lost a certain amount of emotional investment in matches. He still gets a joke in here and there, but it's not his role anymore.

^ I agree. Despite mainly adding useless quips, presenting them from a heelish view still made them worthwhile to listen to, jsut to present the other side of the story. Despite being allied with J.R., King supporting the heels made the angles seem much more important.

I think whatever show is getting the least amount of attention of the higher up brass tends to have the most natural sounding and spontanius commentating.

The last time I remember King saying anything heelish was in 2003 when he was giving Booker T. shit for having a criminal record during the build to WM19.

Lawler had an interview somewhere where he pointed out that him and Coach would agree on cheering people like Chris Masters, but not more villainous heels. Then he feuded with Masters and I believe Lawler just supported faces 100% of the time.

He was routing for Jericho at Vengeance against Cena and Christian. Jericho had turned by then, right?

IIRC, Jericho was a tweener in that match and then turned full blown heel in the build for the solo encounter versus Cena at the next Pay Per View.

No, he had turned heel. The original match at Vengeance was scheduled to just be Cena vs. Christian for the WWE Title, but then Jericho turned on and beat the fuck out of Cena during a tag match (Cena & Jericho vs. Xian & Tomko) in order to get Cena to add him to the match.

Lawler always rooted for Triple H and Evolution until Triple H beat the hell out of JR in 2005 prior to Backlash I believe.

Didn't they also beat up Lawler himself to lead to his face turn? I remember posting something similar a while back.

Then he talked about how he lost respect for Evolution after that.

There was a RAW prior to Backlash in 2005 where Triple H took on JR in a match. He beat the hell out of JR while Lawler kept going, "Stop it, Triple H. Come on. This isn't right." Finally he said, "He's gone too far!" And then entered the ring to attack Triple H, only to get beatdown in return. But then Batista came out and gave Triple H the Batista Bomb, and then put JR on top of Triple H so that JR got the pinfall over Triple H.

There was a RAW prior to Backlash in 2005 where Triple H took on JR in a match. He beat the hell out of JR while Lawler kept going, "Stop it, Triple H. Come on. This isn't right." Finally he said, "He's gone too far!" And then entered the ring to attack Triple H, only to get beatdown in return. But then Batista came out and gave Triple H the Batista Bomb, and then put JR on top of Triple H so that JR got the pinfall over Triple H.

The only clip I can find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD9Q_Cp5FHQ

Question for anyone who knows about stocks: Would it be a good idea or a bad idea to invest in WWE at the moment?

Like every other stock, it's taken a big hit recently (It maybe under $10 a share at this point). Still, the way the market is... it's bound to rebound so if you hold it long enough, you might get a good return.

Question for anyone who knows about stocks: Would it be a good idea or a bad idea to invest in WWE at the moment?

Like every other stock, it's taken a big hit recently (It maybe under $10 a share at this point). Still, the way the market is... it's bound to rebound so if you hold it long enough, you might get a good return.

With the downturn in the stock market, WWE is back in the toilet, at $9.13 per share as of press time, very close to a five-year low.

Has anyone had trouble with 411mania.com not working on their computers? I haven't been able to access their site for about 5 days now.

A member of Graham Cawthon's message board is saying that WWE.com had reported that John Cena has been suspended for 30 days. He said that he saw the report on the WWE website. However, I've checked WWE.com, and it's nowhere on there. Now, that news might've been put up on the WWE website, but taken down for some reason. I'm trying to find out if there's any truth to this current WWE rumor of Cena being suspended, right now. The only way to find out if this rumor is true is if WWE.com puts it back up, or not. If they don't put it back up on WWE.com, and if Cena continues onward to Wrestlemania, this year, then maybe he's not getting suspended, and the webmasters of WWE.com might've made a mistake. If he is getting suspended for 30 days, then he might've violated the wellness policy, which might explain Cena losing the gold to Edge, tonight.