TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
YourKock'sReallyGreat

Biggest Flash in the Pan

I do not think I have ever seen a thread on this topic on any sites. I am looking for which players in any sport had the best single season and never matched that success at any other point in their careers.

I think of Aaron Small who went 10-0 with a 3.2 era for the Yankees in 2005. Another player who comes to mind is Kevin Maas who hit 21 homeruns in half a season for the 1990 Yankees and was out of the league by 1992. I know that there are better examples. Davey Johnson hitting 43 homeruns for the 73 Braves comes to mind but he was a multiple time all star. Same thing for Brady Anderson hitting 50 plus for the 96 Orioles.

Can a mod please change the title to Biggest Flash in the Pan. My computer was messing up.

This is something like fluke seasons, but I see it a little differently. To me, a flash in the pan is a player who comes into the league, dominates almost immediately, and then disappears almost as quickly.

Herb Score comes to mind. He was 36-20 with a 2.63 ERA when he was hit in the face by a Gil McDougald line drive. He was the first pitcher to strike out more than a batter an inning over a full season.

I was thinking along the lines of Fluke/Flash in the Pan. A Flash in the pan could/can appear out of nowhere and fade out just as quickly. Nick Esasky hitting 30 Homeruns 100 RBI's for the Red Sox in the late 80's, Kevin Elster having 24 homeruns, 99 rbi's for the 96 Rangers is another.

You mentioned Davey Johnson. Hitting in Atlanta in 1973 and hitting in Baltimore in the late 60s and early 70s are two different animals. Had he played in the same environment earlier in his career, he might have popped 30 home runs a couple more times.

Nick Esasky nah. He hit 21 and 22 home runs in part time play in Cincinnati. Then he goes to Boston, gets a friendly left field fence and 200 more plate appearances, and no wonder he hit 30 home runs. Kevin Elster, if adjusted for 162 games had three seasons where he was on pace for 20+ home runs.

Now how about Darin Erstad? .355 batting average in 2000, he never hit above .300 in any other season.

Jim Carey. Won the Vezina in his second season, and then fell off the face of the earth.

Ace Ventura, Net Detective. What happened to him?

How about Jan Hlvac? Dude had some great season with the Rangers, and that was it.

Now how about Darin Erstad? .355 batting average in 2000, he never hit above .300 in any other season.

You took my answer, simply because he was a fantasy stud that year (top 3 scorer among MLB outfielders) and I used a keeper pick on him the following year.

Yeah, I don't need that reminder. But he was a guy who would always give it his all up until an injury would catch up with him.

Some NFL nominees... Using the idea of literally "disappearing" after they appear.

RB Rashaan Salaam (2001): 296-1074-10 TD his rookie year. Gone by age 25.

RB James Allen (2000): 290-1120-2 in his 3rd season. Gone by age 27.

RB Olandis Gary (1999): 276-1159-7 his rookie year. Gone by age 28.

RB Karim-Abdul Jabbar (1996): 307-1116-11 in his rookie year. Follows it up with two seasons over 890 yards and gone by age 26.

RB Ronald Moore (1993): 263-1018-9 in his rookie year. Gone by age 28.

Some basketball nominesss...

Jamaal Maglorie - 2003/2004 All-Star, if it wasn't for his size I doubt he would even be in the NBA now.

Erick Dampier - Averaged 12PPG/12RPG his contract year with the GSW, signed a big contract with Dallas and is nowhere near as effective his contract year.

Terrell Brandon - During the height of his career, was regarded as one of the best point guards in the NBA, then injuries happend.

Derrick Coleman - Career started off strong as a rookie, but got rich, fat and didnt give a shit no more. Has a good back up though for the remainder of his career, but could've gone down as one of the best if he gave a shit. He was extremely talented.

Honestly I wouldn't consider DC a Flash in the Pan, since he was pretty hot for a good 5-6 years. He didn't have a lengthy career, but he was damn good for several seasons. If DC is a Flash, then Shawn Kemp would have to be as well, since they were good for about the same time, then both got fat and didn't care anymore.

How about Maurice Clarett? He had a very impressive Frosh year followed by one stupid move after another. Maybe he is a case of not knowing what might have been if he had let himself mature at the college level.

How about Maurice Clarett? He had a very impressive Frosh year followed by one stupid move after another. Maybe he is a case of not knowing what might have been if he had let himself mature at the college level.

I think Clarett is the poster boy for "What If's." He fought the draft rules, lost, then faded into obscurity. I think if he'd made it he'd be on Harley's list of RB's that had great rookie outings, then were pumping gas by age 26.

Some basketball nominesss...

Jamaal Maglorie - 2003/2004 All-Star, if it wasn't for his size I doubt he would even be in the NBA now.

Erick Dampier - Averaged 12PPG/12RPG his contract year with the GSW, signed a big contract with Dallas and is nowhere near as effective his contract year.

Terrell Brandon - During the height of his career, was regarded as one of the best point guards in the NBA, then injuries happend.

Derrick Coleman - Career started off strong as a rookie, but got rich, fat and didnt give a shit no more. Has a good back up though for the remainder of his career, but could've gone down as one of the best if he gave a shit. He was extremely talented.

The other day, my friend randomly asked me whatever happened to Terrell Brandon.

How about Penny Hardaway? The guy was All-Rookie team his first year, All-NBA 1st Team his next two, All-NBA 3rd team in season 4 and then injuries finished off his career even though he hung on for bits and pieces of another 9 or so seasons at astronomical salaries after that.

Larry Johnson? He had over 1750 yards and 20 TD's in a season where he started 9 games. Followed that up with 1789 yards and 17 TD's in 2006. Since then, he hasn't done much other than getting injured and running afoul of the law. So basically, LJ had as great of a 1 1/2 year stretch as anyone and that's pretty much been the extent of his career. He'll be 30 in November so it's hard to envision him having anymore great seasons. I'm not saying that LJ fell off the face of the earth, but he did go from being a top-5 player to just a guy in an awfully short time.

I'm not sure if you'd call him a "flash in the pan", maybe a fluke, but Sidney Ponson for the Orioles and Giants back in '03. He went 17-13 that year, but other than the rest of his career, he never really amounted to anything.

Several Denver Broncos RBs of the Shanahan era fit here, but of special notice is Olandis Gary.

In Gary's rookie season he ran 1159 yards and 7 TDs in 12 games. He ran for 839 yards and 4 TDs for the rest of his career combined.

Someone made reference to the bird. Mark Fidrych was an absolute phenomenon.

He went 19-9 his rookie year, started the All Star game, led the league in ERA and finished second in Cy Young voting. He was immensely popular, one of the few pitchers who legitimately drew big crowds. And just as quickly, he faded.