TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

College Basketball: February '09

Guest Smues

North Carolina and UCLA both lost today. That's an awesome start to the day. I'd be mad that WSU managed to beat UCLA at UCLA and UW couldn't, but any UCLA loss still helps UW so I'll take it.

Guest Smues

When it was 67 to 63 and Memphis missed both freethrows I thought UTEP was going to pull it off.

Not a chance. Memphis has done nothing to warrant it. Here's the top 5 as it likely will go down:

1. Pitt (Rock solid, no bad losses.)

2. UConn (Lost to the soon to be #1 team, shouldn't go down much. Without Dyson could be in for a slide however.)

3. Oklahoma (Yes, they lost the 2nd game but it was without Griffin so can they really be penalized much for it?)

4. UNC (OT loss against a mediocre but desperate Maryland. It happens, though Carolina does show a touch of dogging it in some games)

5. Memphis (They'll move up 1 spot since Michigan St. lost, but beating scrubs in C-USA doesn't warrant moving past more accomplished teams.)

Not a chance. Memphis has done nothing to warrant it. Here's the top 5 as it likely will go down:

2. UConn (Lost to the soon to be #1 team, shouldn't go down much. Without Dyson could be in for a slide however.)

3. Oklahoma (Yes, they lost the 2nd game but it was without Griffin so can they really be penalized much for it?)

4. UNC (OT loss against a mediocre but desperate Maryland. It happens, though Carolina does show a touch of dogging it in some games)

5. Memphis (They'll move up 1 spot since Michigan St. lost, but beating scrubs in C-USA doesn't warrant moving past more accomplished teams.)

It's not they're beating them, it's how they're beating them. They only allowed SMU 14 second half points. And while on paper beating UTEP isn't impressive, because of all the linkage between the two teams, the games always manage to be closer than you'd think. In fact, they were leading Memphis late in the second half in last year's game, and that was AT Memphis. Derrick Rose being Derrick Rose is what allowed Memphis to win that game.

Doesn't matter who's in or who's out of the game. If a team loses, they lost. Simple as that.

Eh I figured OU would drop another at some point. If they win out they're probably still a No. 1 seed. They do need to beat Kansas on Monday to win the Big XII though, because I don't see KU dropping another Big XII game.

Hey you remember last year we had a third postseason tournament added in College Basketball Invitational? Okay maybe not, but trust me it did take place but don't ask me who won. Guess what? We now have four postseason tournaments this year. Say hello to the CollegeInisder.com Postseason Tournament. This was announced a month ago but hell if I noticed. That now brings the total number of postseason bids to 129.

Full TV Schedule for Week of 2/23 - 3/1

The Games Most of You Can See

MONDAY

#6 Louisville at Georgetown, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

#15 Kansas a #3 Oklahoma, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

TUESDAY

Penn State at Ohio State, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

Florida at #18 LSU, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

Texas A&M at Nebraska, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

WEDNESDAY

#2 Connecticut at #8 Marquette, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

Virginia Tech at #12 Clemson, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPN2

#7 Duke at Maryland, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

Texas Tech at #25 Texas, 9:30/6:30 PM, ESPN2

THURSDAY

West Virginia at Cincinnati, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

#19 Xaver at St. Joseph's, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

#16 Purdue at Michigan, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

#5 Memphis at UAB, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

#17 Gonzaga at Santa Clara, 11:00/8:00 PM, ESPN2

SATURDAY

Georgia Tech at #4 North Carolina, Noon/9:00 AM, CBS

Georgetown at #10 Villanova, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

Cleveland State at #24 Butler, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN2

Notre Dame at #2 Connecticut, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, CBS

Illinois State at Creighton, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, ESPN2

Arizona at #21 Washington, 3:00 PM/Noon, FSN

#3 Oklahoma at Texas Tech, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

#7 Duke at Virginia Tech, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

#18 LSU at Kentucky, 4:00/1:00 PM, CBS

Ohio State at #16 Purdue, 4:00/1:00 PM, ESPN

#25 Texas at Oklahoma State, 6:00/3:00 PM, ESPN

#17 Gonzaga at San Diego, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPN2

#22 UCLA at California, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

SUNDAY

#8 Marquette at #6 Louisville, Noon/9:00 AM, CBS

#11 Missouri at #15 Kansas, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, CBS*

Tennessee at Florida, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, CBS*

#9 Michigan State at #20 Illinois, 4:00/1:00 PM, CBS

Maryland at N.C. State, 7:30/4:30 PM, FSN

Oregon State at Oregon, 10:00/7:00 PM, FSN

Edited by Bored

Hey you remember last year we had a third postseason tournament added in College Basketball Invitational? Okay maybe not, but trust me it did take place but don't ask me who won. Guess what? We now have four postseason tournaments this year. Say hello to the CollegeInisder.com Postseason Tournament. This was announced a month ago but hell if I noticed. That now brings the total number of postseason bids to 129.

Tulsa won the CBI!

Can someone explain to me how one AP voter gave UConn his first place vote over Pitt when they have identical records and Pitt just beat the Huskies in Connecticut this week? I don't really understand how Oklahoma got 2 first place votes either, but this one just seems silly. Your # 1 team shouldn't have just lost to a team you ranked lower than them when your # 1 was playing at home.

Can someone explain to me how one AP voter gave UConn his first place vote over Pitt when they have identical records and Pitt just beat the Huskies in Connecticut this week? I don't really understand how Oklahoma got 2 first place votes either, but this one just seems silly. Your # 1 team shouldn't have just lost to a team you ranked lower than them when your # 1 was playing at home.

UConn beat Louisville and Louisville beat Pittsburgh.

Looking at how things are going, Florida State SHOULD be one or two wins from a tournament berth. I fully expect them to fail miserably at this task. They are capable of beating all the teams left on their schedule (except Duke, the patience still isn't there) so taking 3 of 4 would give them a strong case for a 6 or 7 seed I would hope.

But after watching them go 3 happy and nearly drop to Va Tech, I'm seeing that disturbing "Failing to finish" trend I have seen in all of Leonard Hamilton's teams. I still love the guy's coaching but it would be nice to actually finish a season strong with no doubts.

I would think 10 or 11 ACC wins would leave no doubt.

Well OU wanted to prove they're more than Blake Griffin. They're proving that they aren't much more right now. They had a big early lead and they let it slip away. Now they're down 12.

A No. 1 seed is flying out the door with Griffin's scrambled brain as we speak.

2Gold, FSU is in fine shape. They have an RPI of 17 so it would take some massive 4 game meltdown at the end here to not make the tourney. If anything FSU is right in line for a decent seed, like a 5 or 6.

Maryland and VA Tech likely aren't getting in. How is Maryland even ON the bubble given how horrid they've been this year? The Terps have had a ton of really awful 20-30 (or even 40) point beatings this year, including a 30 point assrape from Clemson the same week they beat UNC. Both MD and VT are going to end up under .500 in conference, and if that's the case they shouldn't make it.

Providence knocked off Pitt. Is Providence a tourney team now?

Maryland and VA Tech likely aren't getting in. How is Maryland even ON the bubble given how horrid they've been this year? The Terps have had a ton of really awful 20-30 (or even 40) point beatings this year, including a 30 point assrape from Clemson the same week they beat UNC. Both MD and VT are going to end up under .500 in conference, and if that's the case they shouldn't make it.

Maryland is not going to end up under .500 in conference play I think, and 2 top-10 wins helps, but I agree the case is not too strong. Isn't VT like 8-6 in conference and top 5 In Conference?

I was at the Dunk and watching your team knock off the number one team is an amazing experience. Especially when your team doesn't win many big games. As long as they take care of business against Rutgers and finish with 10 wins in the Big East w/ wins over #15 Syracuse and #1 Pitt, I think they get in. They led wire to wire against Pitt tonight.

Good job, Providence. For some reason I thought Pitt would lose to someone off the radar, as in not UConn or Marquette. Now I just hope Marquette can take out UConn tomorrow night, then U of L can beat the crap out of Marquette on Sunday and be in the driver's seat. This is all the best case scenario for my guys anyway.

Anybody else catch the Duke/UNC documentary on HBO Monday night? Excellent stuff.

I read a few books on the rivalry but it was nice to see a lot of the old game footage and hear the interviews about some of the famous moments in the rivalry.

Christian Laettner, what a cocky fucking prick.