TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zetterberg is God

NHL Thread

If the Rangers make it to the playoffs, they aren't getting past the first round.

I disagree. The Rangers will likely wind up in fourth, fifth or sixth. (I'm going to assume the three division leaders remain so). The Rangers would likely beat the Habs, who they've played consistently well against the last two seasons. As good as Washington is at home, their road record is still a little shaky for me to get behind them as a playoff team - they're also a fairly young team, so while I'm not selling them short, I don't think I'm quite on their playoff bandwagon yet. Of the three teams New York would likely play, New Jersey would frighten me the most as an opponent, but they do play the Devils six times a year, so they should have some idea of what they're up against.

Does anyone actually see Pittsburgh missing the playoffs? I know there's a lot of hockey left, and a lot can happen, but realistically, teams 1-6 in the East right now will make the playoffs - they're all more than good enough, plus they'll all be shopping on March 4. That leaves two spots for Buffalo, Carolina, Pittsburgh, Florida and maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Toronto to fight over. As a Raiders fan, I'm beginning to see where my Dad's coming from: "Hey, great, you played a great final few weeks, wound up with a decent record. But, you screwed yourself out of some good draft picks and even if you made the playoffs, then what? Get clobbered in Round 1?" I won't even touch the Al Davis-Harold Ballard comparisons.

This could be one of the more interesting trade deadlines in a while: What does Buffalo do? They're basically the same team that was praised for its depth during its two runs to the East finals. Does Florida gamble and assume it has a playoff spot? What happens if they miss and they lose a pending UFA (acquired at the deadline) and Bouwmeester? What do they do on deadline day if they're shopping; what goalies will be available? Maybe Joseph or Toskala, Gerber, Cloutier, or Raycroft? Edit: Olaf Kolzig or Manny Legace don't sound tooooo bad.

Jesus Christ, look at the western standings - St. Louis, in fifteenth spot is SIX back of a playoff spot. Would someone remind me again why October is a better time of year for sports than late March - early April?

Would someone remind me again why October is a better time of year for sports than late March - early April?

I don't know who said that, but they're blatantly wrong.

you canadian twits.

its because every major sport is in session. mlb playoffs. almost halfway through the nfl season. and there is a lot of enthusiasm for the beginning of the nhl and nba seasons. don't discount the beginning of playoffs for the cfl, too.

cmon men.

The Western Conference is so wide open. Everyone keeps arguing Detroit to me, and I'm just not sold on Osgood.

San Jose seems like the logical choice, but with them it's whether they'll choke in the 2nd round or conference finals. Calgary is coached by Mike Keenan, so no one can get behind them.

Chicago's too young, Dallas is streaking right now, Minnesota can't score and Vancouver just came off an 8 game losing streak.

I think my favourite might be Anaheim.

Someone reminded me of this trade today, and I'm kind of shocked at how lopsided it is for such a recent trade.

The Ottawa Senators traded the rights to restricted free-agent defenceman Andrej Meszaros to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Friday.

In exchange for the reliable blue-liner, the Senators received defenceman Filip Kuba, prospect Alexandre Picard, and a first-round draft pick in 2009 that Tampa Bay got from the San Jose Sharks.

Lopsided for who? Neither team has done anything. At the very least, Ottawa can at least ship out Kuba who is having a career season. They got a first too that might end up being between 26-30. Tampa got an overrated defenseman.

Lopsided for Ottawa. They don't have to pay Meszaros, get a 1st rounder (albeit a low first rounder), a prospect who has stepped into their lineup, and a guy having a pretty good year in Kuba. Meanwhile Tampa is stuck with Mesz on a 6 year 24 million deal.

Kings vs. Caps was a great game. And we won!

Quick was huge down the stretch. The game in Jersey and the one on the Island set the tone for the rest of the season. Quite frankly, I am shocked that the team is still in the hunt.

Would someone remind me again why October is a better time of year for sports than late March - early April?

I don't know who said that, but they're blatantly wrong.

you canadian twits.

its because every major sport is in session. mlb playoffs. almost halfway through the nfl season. and there is a lot of enthusiasm for the beginning of the nhl and nba seasons. don't discount the beginning of playoffs for the cfl, too.

cmon men.

You come on. MLB is starting, NHL playoffs, stretch drive for the NBA, March Madness.

CC will have my back on this, as it'll be a tough sell on anyone who doesn't like golf, but the Masters is absolutely everything that's right about sports.

I have no idea what will happen in the West.

Calgary is coached by Mike Keenan, so no one can get behind them.

I think my favourite might be Anaheim.

I'm too drunk to find the Niger, Please map. Didn't Keenan get Chicago to the finals in '91? You can make a strong case at any given point in the season, the best three at their positions are Iginla, Phanuef, Kipper. Calgary wins the NW and disposes of a young Phoenix or Edmonton squad, or a Minnesota with a pouting Gaborik on the bench. I'm not saying the finals (or even the Western finals) are a gimme, but Calgary's in good shape right now.

Anaheim isn't a ridiculous choice, but I don't see it happening.

i think the kings can have found their goalie of the future. maybe package hickey and bernier with some others guys for a bouwmeester or some offensive help. they have a few really good defensemen but no one to truly quarterback a powerplay, yet. i like kyle quincey, but cmon man. and even one extra top 6 forward could propel them into the playoffs.

So....what are we supposed to do with Tim Connolly?

He's never healthy...but when he is he's the best player on the stupid team. His contract is up at the end of this year. I want him...and I hate him...and I love him...and I wish he'd just retire because I don't need to see him stay healthy for a whole season somewhere else.

Fuck these refs. That call on Kobasew on the tying goal wasn't a joke, it was an entire fucking comedy routine. Kobasew makes contact, Giroux kneels down, Kobasew gets an interference call. Awful. Fucking awful.

Not like it hasn't happened ever in history. Take the calls and hope your team prevails. That's what I've learned to do. There's gonna be shitty calls against both teams in every sports event. Harping on various calls is tiresome.

I'm just tired of this shit happening to the Bruins without getting any gift calls in return. Seems that it always happens against Philly and the Scabs.

EDIT: And I wasn't aware that a stick being in your hands made you unconscionably lose your balance and fall on your ass. Fucking divers, the Flyers.

Whatever, dude. I've seen many a call in my days as a Flyers fan much worse than these calls. No, the refs aren't out to get the Bruins. The Bruins are one of the best teams in the NHL, and they're still tied. They know how to deal with adversity like that. Teams like the Flyers don't, so when horrible calls go against them, they turtle and their sphincters tighten. If this was the playoffs, it'd be a bit of a different story, but I don't know why you're getting so uptight right now.

Whatever, dude. I've seen many a call in my days as a Flyers fan much worse than these calls. No, the refs aren't out to get the Bruins. The Bruins are one of the best teams in the NHL, and they're still tied. They know how to deal with adversity like that. Teams like the Flyers don't, so when horrible calls go against them, they turtle and their sphincters tighten. If this was the playoffs, it'd be a bit of a different story, but I don't know why you're getting so uptight right now.

Because this is a big stretch for the Bruins, they're playing good teams and the effort doesn't seem to be there on most nights. And having to play against the Flyers and the refs isn't helping here. They needed to use this game as a tune up for a big time test against the Sharks on tuesday, instead they're letting an inferior team hang with them. It's unacceptable.

Welcome to sports. It's not like this is the first time a first place team is struggling with an inferior team. World champions have done it before. The effort seemed fine in the first period and this period.