TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zetterberg is God

NHL Thread

The Bruins seem to be falling back into "We get two points just for participating" which is incredibly dangerous. They did not play well today on the powerplay which is starting to slip in quality thanks to the addition of Axelsson on the right side. There are many better options on the wing on the powerplay other than a player with little offensive skills. Wheeler was benched after that "hooking" call late in the second, but there's still Krejci, Kobasew, Kessel, Lucic...even Bitz. Instead, Claude has fallen into the trap of relying on Axelsson at key points. Considering the last time he did this their powerplay began to suffer, I'm wondering about this. Wait, no I'm not. Axelsson is one of the best penalty killers in the league. He's not to be used on the powerplay.

Fernandez played very well for a guy playing his first game in a month. Claude needs to decide what he's doing. Either Thomas and Fernandez are 1A and 1B or Thomas is the #1 and Fernandez is the backup. Since the latter seems to be true, maybe getting Fernandez some decent playing time might help with his being effective stopping the puck.

They're in the important part of the schedule. They need to start playing like a playoff team so Chiarelli can determine who needs to be brought in to help. Tkachuk? Weight? Or do they make this rumored deal and bring in Cole? Chiarelli might have to shake things up slightly, they seem to be resting and expecting to win just because. That's not going to cut it.

I'm going to go listen to The Band and fall into a stupor. I hate sports sometimes.

I like your analysis of your team. You seem to get it more than most Boston fans I know. I agree with the whole falling into the trap thing, but I think they're good enough to not let it get out of hand. You won't see a nine-game losing streak or a ten-game losing streak like the Flyers had last year. The Flyers desperately needed this game and just pulled it out. Without three of their top stars (Upshall is a top star for this team), they were able to steal two points. I figured it would be the other way around and we would lose today but win on Wednesday. Too many turnovers caused many Bruin chances but Niitty was up to the task. Hopefully our team will get better and rid of the flu, and play at a high level that they have done before. I don't like the inconsistency they show year after year. They aren't a bad team, but they aren't a great team.

The Leafs killed the Habs tonight. I don't think Carey Price was prepared to start tonight, and Jason Blake is finally living up to his potential. Who knew that calling out from Leafs management was all Vesa needed to play well?

And God damn, the Canucks were on fire tonight. This was a statement game.

Just saw the standings:

Minnesota is in 8th with 55 points

St. Louis is last with 50 points.

That's insane.

From the ESPN.com recap:

"Hossa was booed loudly any time he stepped on the ice during the first two periods, and some in the crowd began chanting "Traitor, traitor" at one point."

Seriously? Penguins fans are retarded. I can see why Habs fans boo Briere because they legitimately feel he turned their back on them (even though he didn't), but booing a guy who your team simply rented for the playoffs because you think he owes it to you to stay in town? Come on.

Ah, I heard one of the Wings made that list. Thought it would be Chelios, though. And they didn't even say that most people call him "Cindy"? Come on!

Edit: I just noticed this, but Nick Lidstrom was voted #2 for Leadership behind Iginla, and not THAT far behind, either (22% to 17%). I think that definitely shows that a European can truly be a respected leader and captain in the NHL.

Awesome game tonight. The Wings are starting look like they did last year; solid defense with overwhelming offense. Leino and Helm seem determined to show why they should not be in Grand Rapids.

Oh, and that image is from ESPN.

the kings played really well last night. just couldn't execute. i'm not so high on quincey quarterbacking the powerplay.

what happened to iginla? he was totally non-existent. in fact, outside of sarich, most of the flames were out to lunch. sarich was everywhere last night. he was a monster.

Four wins in a row!

No way they should've won the last two games either, this team just won't lose. Luongo's mediocrity is worrying me though

They're starting LaBarbera tonight against the Stars. Kind of surprising since it's a big game in terms of playoff position, but Luongo's definately been looking soft lately.

Four wins in a row!

No way they should've won the last two games either, this team just won't lose. Luongo's mediocrity is worrying me though

They're starting LaBarbera tonight against the Stars. Kind of surprising since it's a big game in terms of playoff position, but Luongo's definately been looking soft lately.

That was the right call. It's obvious Luongo is still tenative from the groin, so he shouldn't be playing the second night of back to backs on the road.

Tough loss, but I hate Marty Turco so much. He's so annoying to watch when your team is playing him.

Also, the Leafs play the Penguins again on HNIC. They just played them on the 31st!

I had a nice hockey overtime doubleheader today. I went to LA to see a very good game in which the Kings really controlled the game the last 2/3 of the way (missed period 1 anyway due to traffic) but lost 3-2 after dropping a shootout. Then te Reign beat the Las Vegas Wranglers in overtime, 2-1, in my night cap in Ontario.

I love how the Rangers can actually find ways to give up goals in 5 on 3 situations. Their special teams are utterly embarassing.