TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zetterberg is God

NHL Thread

SO, how do I not understand your post? You said, basically "I'm just waiting for the Leafs to win the Cup, then implode. That's what Burke does." Yes, a Leafs Cup victory is that out of the question.

Yes, mockery is to be expected when you predict success for the Toronto, but Burke's done good things before. The Ducks made a lot of bad moves when Niedermayer and Selanne were sitting around, and the problems is Toronto are quite different. I've never followed the Leafs before, but their coach and GM have histories with teams I like, and they succeeded.

And Burke did what with Vancouver.... he didn't lead them to Stanley Cup Finals. Burke, in Anaheim, had plenty of good prospects to build around and 2 HOF defensemen fell into his lap. He won't fix Toronto.

Uhhh what?

Burke was huge in Vancouver. He rescued them from the doldrums of the Keenan era, putting them in the playoffs and rescuing a floundering franchise. Under Burke, they made it to the second round in 03 for the first time in forever. It was the organisation that idiotically let him go in 04, instead of firing Crawford, which is what they should've done all along.

I didn't know making it to the Cup Finals was the be all end all.

Just got back from Kings/Coyotes 45 minutes ago. Such a disappointing game. Both teams started slowly, but after Phoenix scored their third goal, it was all downhill. Final was 6-3, one of Phoenix's 6 being an empty netter. That empty netter was also Jokinen's third of the afternoon.

The Kings quite simply have to win against teams like Phoenix to have a shot at the playoffs. I don't know what the team's problem is, but they've been playing like shit at home lately.

I find it kind of funny that last year the Oilers were easily the best shootout team in the league and tonight they couldn't even get one clear shot on goal in the shootout (flubbed puck, pokecheck, missed net)

Is it safe to say Marc Crawford is the worst pbp analyst in HNIC history?

Yes.

I've expressed my displeasure for Crawford numerous times, with reason #1 being that no Canucks fan wants to listen to him

Not as bad when Cassie Campbell had to fill in since Harry Neale was stuck in Buffalo.

Is anyone else watching Capitals/Penguins? Lots of offense already, as it's 3-2 Caps early in the 2nd period. This is one of the few times I've gotten to see Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin in action. I watched the finals last season so I saw the Penguins play, and I watched 2 of their games this year. The only 2 times I had seen Ovechkin play before this were the 2 games Washington played against the Kings this season.

I'm watching. Washington is such a fun team to watch. This is a great game, fun offense, lots of hits, pretty much everything you want out of a neutral NHL game. I hope these two teams play in the playoffs, it would be insane.

I'm watching. Washington is such a fun team to watch. This is a great game, fun offense, lots of hits, pretty much everything you want out of a neutral NHL game. I hope these two teams play in the playoffs, it would be insane.

I agree, but there hasn't been as much bad blood evident compared to the game five weeks ago. Still, as you said, a playoff series would be phenomenal - these two games have been playoff hockey.

Tom Renney was just fired. He brought respectability back to the Rangers and he's a HELL of a coach but its quite obvious the team has just quit on him.

John Tortorella is the rumor of the new head coach taking over. Didn't he coach the Rangers for a brief time after Colin Cambell?

If you want to keep your job, don't lose to the Leafs.

Also, to Bob, the reason I said Stanley Cup Finals ib because Pat Quinn took them to the Finals 1994. Burke clinged on Cloutier to long in Vancouver.

And Burke was assistant GM there for much of that run.

I agree that Cloutier should've been taken out back and shot after 2003, but there was nothing they could do. Vancouver's bugaboo until Luongo came aboard was goaltending

Tom Renney was just fired. He brought respectability back to the Rangers and he's a HELL of a coach but its quite obvious the team has just quit on him.

John Tortorella is the rumor of the new head coach taking over. Didn't he coach the Rangers for a brief time after Colin Cambell?

He was the assistant coach for the Rangers. Anyways he can't be hired for the remainder of the season because he is still under contract with the Tampa Bay Lightning, however he will be available to coach for them if the Rangers will pick up his contract from the Lightning if he joins the team for the duration. (Or Tampa can terminate his contract too).

He was the assistant coach for the Rangers. Anyways he can't be hired for the remainder of the season because he is still under contract with the Tampa Bay Lightning, however he will be available to coach for them if the Rangers will pick up his contract from the Lightning if he joins the team for the duration. (Or Tampa can terminate his contract too).

I was right technically. Tortorella took over as the head coach for the last 4 games in 2000 when John Muckler was fired.

Now that we're starting to close in on the home stretch, how are your preseason picks looking? Right now, my western conference looks pretty good, though unless Vancouver nose-dives the best I'll get is 7 of 8. My East is similar, though Pittsburgh's nosedive has them hovering and I though Ottawa could make 8th seed. Otherwise, I feel pretty good so far about most of my picks (Outside my division winners).

I'll brag about my last-second change to Boston, just for the sake of four Original Six teams in the Conference finals. Edit: Upon further review, it was Pittsburgh - I remember changing it from a Pennsylvanian team to Boston.

I'm wrong, but not ridiculously wrong, on my division winners: Montreal, Pittsburgh, Washington, Detroit, Dallas, Minny.

Not to tear a strip off Nightwing, but when I posed a similar question around the All-Star Break, all our Cup picks were still pretty possible. Division winners could start a discussion or two, but given how good the playoff races are going to be, I think the who will/won't may not be answerable for another five or six weeks.