TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Michael Jackson thread

I don't think we've ever had a thread dedicated to The King of Pop here (well not one that wasn't focused on his alleged boy loving) and since a lot of us had Off The Wall in our ten favorite albums thread I think we're about due. Your favorite album, song, etc.

Up until very recently, I wavered between Off The Wall and Thriller as my favorite, eventually deciding that the former was the better album. But in the past few days, I've been listening a lot to Bad. While I don't think it reaches the heights of Off The Wall and the album tracks are pretty lousy, I think it may contain his strongest set of singles. There isn't a bad one in the bunch and most of them are very good to great. It might just be because a lot of Thriller has become way overplayed but I'm thinking Bad is slowly but surely becoming my second favorite Michael Jackson album.

I feel Dangerous is also pretty underrated though I think it's here where his looniness and megalomania really starts seeping into his music in a bad way. Its fully set in by HIStory but even that has a few moments. I haven't really listened to Invincible all that much though "You Rock My World" was a fairly neat.

Invincible is pretty bad. From Dangerous on, Jacko's albums settled into a formula of up-tempo electro-New Jack Swing dance numbers and the most maudlin, sappy "save the children" power ballads. This also coincided with him writing the vast majority of his material.

Getting old as well. There's probably no other artist that's held in the same regard as Jackson who's written so few critically acclaimed songs.

Shut up limey. Thriller and Off The Wall (and to a lesser extent, Bad) are two of the most acclaimed pop albums of their era.

Granted, he hasn't recorded a good album in twenty years and I don't have high hopes for a comeback but saying he has so few critically acclaimed songs is just dumb.

My favorite Jackson song is Butterflies and its off of his last album Invincible. My second favorite single by the guy is Off The Wall. He has a lot of good music and one could make a party of a few hours going off his tracks. Most people will sing along and love to hear him. But once the music stops, everyone is ready to bust out the now unfunny jokes.

His best bet is not to even make a new album, just hit Vegas with J5 and sap money out of middle age America who wants a quick little show between slots and poker.

Venturing into The Jackson 5 catalog, I realize that they're like most bubblegum pop bands. Plenty of good-great singles but very little else.

Destiny is a solid precursor to Michael's solo career though. I think I prefer The Jacksons to The Jackson 5...and yes there is a (slight) difference!