TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003

I know you have PMS, but that's beside the point.

::Jim Halpert face::

They should have just had Jose Canseco write the Mitchell Report. He's nailed every single one of these guys, hasn't he?

It's funny that in the end, Canseco is the most honest of everyone. Then again, he could probably just randomly name 10 guys and get 7 right.

I've gone far beyond caring at this point. For some reason, this makes me think no less of Rodriguez. Ditto Clemens, McGwire, Bonds, etc.

It doesn't bother you if baseball players attempt to cheat?

I've gone far beyond caring at this point. For some reason, this makes me think no less of Rodriguez. Ditto Clemens, McGwire, Bonds, etc.

It doesn't bother you if baseball players attempt to cheat?

The culture bothers me, but at this point we've gone far beyond individual players trying to game the system.

Somehow I doubt it is limited to just baseball players. Every athlete does this in every sport, but it is magnified when it's baseball. I think it's partly because so many records are already or going to be broken in the future. I would question it, too.

Somehow I doubt it is limited to just baseball players. Every athlete does this in every sport, but it is magnified when it's baseball. I think it's partly because so many records are already or going to be broken in the future. I would question it, too.

It even goes beyond athletes. Entertainers take the stuff to look better on magazine covers.

Records never bothered me. They are usually just reflective of their eras anyway.

Is there any possibility of a lawsuit against MLB since names are coming out since that year's was supposed to be confidential?

Obviously Bonds was unsealed by a judge, but what about everybody else?

It's like wrestling. I assume everyone I see on TV or on the field is taking a performance enhancing drug. I don't get how ssome guys, even if they are talented, can't be on this stuff.If the MLB turned a blind eye towards it, then I don't think those players should be excluded from the HOF.

I can't wait to see him get treated like Bonds, with people booing the hell out of him and throwing needles onto the field and stuff. It's going to be entertaining.

This truly makes Jr the greatest player ever right?

This truly makes Jr the greatest player ever right?

Unless he's one of the Unnamed 103, then he's definitely the best of this generation. Respectable numbers, class act, not a whiff of suspicion.

The fact that he went to Cincinnati and kept destroying his legs season after season helps too.

And how exactly do we know that Griffey isn't on the list? Because he doesn't look like he takes steroids? This is the exact same thing people said about A-Rod.

That is not to say that I suspect Griffey used but right now we still have no idea who did and didn't over the last few decades. And I say decades because it is naive to believe that steroids suddenly became popular in the late 90's and early 2000's. Tom House who was a pitcher during the 70's admitted a few years back that he used steroids during the decade. I'd say it highly plausible that there are players already inducted in the HOF who used steroids at some point in their career.

Not normally a C/P guy, but check out what espn.com has posted on their main page

A-Rod admits, regrets use of PEDs

ESPN.com

His voice shaking at times, Alex Rodriguez met head-on allegations that he tested positive for steroids six years ago, telling ESPN on Monday that he did take performance-enhancing drugs while playing for the Texas Rangers during a three-year period beginning in 2001.

"When I arrived in Texas in 2001, I felt an enormous amount of pressure. I needed to perform, and perform at a high level every day," Rodriguez told ESPN's Peter Gammons in an interview in Miami Beach, Fla. "Back then, [baseball] was a different culture. It was very loose. I was young, I was stupid, I was naïve. I wanted to prove to everyone I was worth being one of the greatest players of all time.

"I did take a banned substance. For that, I'm very sorry and deeply regretful."

Rodriguez's admission comes 48 hours after Sports Illustrated reported that Rodriguez was on a list of 104 players who tested positive for banned substances in 2003, the year when Major League Baseball conducted survey tests to see if mandatory, random drug-testing was needed in the sport.

Sources who know about the testing results told SI that Rodriguez tested positive for testosterone and Primobolan, an anabolic steroid. In his ESPN interview, Rodriguez said he did not know exactly which substance or substances he had taken. In 2003, there were no penalties for a positive result.

"I am sorry for my Texas years," the New York Yankees third baseman said. "I apologize to the fans of Texas."

Rodriguez, who joined the Yankees for the 2004 season after a trade from Texas, said "all my years in New York have been clean." He also said it felt good to be honest about what he's done in the past.

"The more honest we can all be, the quicker we can get baseball [back] to where it needs to be," he said.

Rodriguez said he was told by Gene Orza, the chief operating officer of the MLB Players' Association, that he might, or might not, have tested positive in the 2003 survey. A source told ESPN on Saturday that Rodriguez knew he had failed the test.

"I had never heard anything since," he said. "Whatever I was experimenting with in Texas might have been OK."

Rodriguez also said of his 2007 interview with Katie Couric on "60 Minutes," when he denied ever using steroids, that "at the time, I wasn't being truthful with myself. How could I be truthful with Katie Couric or CBS?"

Good on him for coming clean. I have far less respect for those who used and have continued to lie about it after being accused in public.

Anyone else seen the video of this interview? Dude looks shook. He's been crying for days.

Um shouldn't have come clean sooner? The only way these guys come clean is after they got caught.

That's how a classy organization like the Yankees does business.

Um shouldn't have come clean sooner? The only way these guys come clean is after they got caught.

No doubt... Maybe if he came clean BEFORE he got caught I would give him props, not no more though.

That's how a classy organization like the Yankees does business.

Who the hell comes clean before getting caught?

And I actually feel better for A-Rod about this.

Let's pretend for a second that baseball is a game of integrity. He accomplishes all these amazing feats, gets paid for it, and only has guilt when he gets caught. I think there is evidence of him saying before that he didn't take PED's in past. He's like Pete Rose. When confronted with the truth, the only way A-rod can try to save face by saying he took stuff but he can't remember what it was.