TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003

I don't think steriods are as big a deal as people make them out to be, especially in baseball where everyone cheats. You can look back at my Bonds' posts. I'm pretty sure I didn't make a big deal out of his shit either.

I don't think steriods are as big a deal as people make them out to be, especially in baseball where everyone cheats. You can look back at my Bonds' posts. I'm pretty sure I didn't make a big deal out of his shit either.

I'd be happy if baseball went the way of the Tour de France in terms of the credibility of its participants simply because 90% of them can't pass a piss test. If you want to act like baseball's record book is the Holy Grail of Americana, then punish the cheaters by not including them in the record book. If the records don't mean anything because it's OK to cheat, then say so and stop bringing up that Hank Aaron is the "clean HR hitting king" in every discussion about records. The NFL & NBA don't beat you over the head with their history/records and that's why no one really cares if people are clean or not.

Lets see what Pete Rose said on the matter:

“I was a little disappointed in that because A-Rod will probably be the player of the decade in the 2000s, and the player of the decade probably for the 90s is Ken Griffey Jr. And I’ve just never heard those two guys linked to any kind of enhancement as far as drugs are concerned. So I was a little surprised that A-Rod did that in 2001, 2002 and 2003. I don’t want to listen to all this B.S. on ESPN about how he was a kid and didn’t know what he was doing and stuff like that. I mean, you did it. You admitted it. Go on with your life.”

Ha.

It didn't shock me to hear about A-Rod since Canseco ranted about the guy a couple years ago, though with all the personal attacks involved it made Canseco seem a bit less credible than when he gave detailed info about guys like McGwire.

Checking out his HR stats, his story seems to check out regarding 2001-03. He was a 40 HR a year type player in Seattle, but once he got to Texas he averaged 52 HRs over that 3 year period and also missed only 1 game over that period.

I have to wonder about 2007 as well. After some iffy years he was back to 54 HRs.

Checking out his HR stats, his story seems to check out regarding 2001-03. He was a 40 HR a year type player in Seattle, but once he got to Texas he averaged 52 HRs over that 3 year period and also missed only 1 game over that period.

Ballpark. A lot of that can be explained simply by the hitting environment in Texas.

Lets see what Pete Rose said on the matter:

“I was a little disappointed in that because A-Rod will probably be the player of the decade in the 2000s, and the player of the decade probably for the 90s is Ken Griffey Jr. And I’ve just never heard those two guys linked to any kind of enhancement as far as drugs are concerned. So I was a little surprised that A-Rod did that in 2001, 2002 and 2003. I don’t want to listen to all this B.S. on ESPN about how he was a kid and didn’t know what he was doing and stuff like that. I mean, you did it. You admitted it. Go on with your life.”

Ha.

Thats pretty funny coming from someone who lied every second of every day for close to two decades about gambling. Has Pete gone on with his life after admitting to it?

So I hear this moron on Score TV, Jim Traber say that you should take 1992-2004 and erase it completely from the record book. That would be fucking stupid.

Then again Jim Traber is a dumbshit.

Arod is having his press conference now. Also, if you wondered what the girl asked in spanish, she asked...

what positivity came off his negative actions from using the drugs

and he answered

he said it showed him how much of a roil model he is to kids and that he now takes this as step to encouraging kids to not use any performance enhancing drugs

I hope no one was playing a sports cliche themed drinking game during this press conference, because they would be in a coma by now.

Guest Czech please!

I like how he has a cousin that would bring him "energy boosters" from the Dominican, but nobody has ascertained this person's existence. Go away, you orange lying sack.

Ballpark. A lot of that can be explained simply by the hitting environment in Texas.

C'mon man. He was playing in a dome with lousy carpet, 310 down the lines. Not exactly where batted balls go to die.

In a country that preaches innocent till proven guilty, we sure are quick as hell to declare someone guilty. Maybe he's lying, maybe not. But I'll take him at his word only because I rather believe him even if he's lying than condemn him when he's telling the truth. Sorta like sending a not guilty person to jail is way worse than letting go of a guilty man. Kinda.

What would he have to say for people to believe him? He's in a no win situation.

A-Rod's problem is that he is always trying to save face. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are, he's always angling to get the best reaction from those that cover him. Did you hear that he has five public relations consultants? Five!

He needs to tell the whole truth or none of it. This wishy-washy bullshit makes him look like a joke and totally degrades what he is trying to accomplish by apologizing anyways. It's been eight days since the Gammons interview and he has already changed his story significantly, which in and of itself was a total 180 from the Couric interview. That's why he has no credibility and that is why I think the entire story he gave today is 100% bullshit.

C'mon man. He was playing in a dome with lousy carpet, 310 down the lines. Not exactly where batted balls go to die.

The Kingdome was a good hitting environment, the Ballpark in Arlington was/is the BEST hitting environment in the American League. And besides that, the Mariners had already moved to the Kingdome in mid '99.

I'm so tired of this story. No kudos for admitting it, he wouldn't have done so hadn't he been caught.

Baseball is such a numbers sport, way more than any other sport. Hitting streaks, home runs, strike outs, lifetime, single season...it's just too bad that the numbers from the last 10 years have pretty much been gimmicked by the cheaters.

Guest Czech please!

It's also a sport that we expect is not played by freaks of nature. We know football is filthy. They're just roided-up freaks who stand in lines and run into each other for our amusement, and then they're disposed of and left to die young or have health problems, and nobody cares except Mike Ditka, and he then he embezzles the charity money to buy new golf clubs or fake tan. Baseball's supposed to be different. We're supposed to believe they're ordinary people doing extraordinary things.

As I've said in the past, what's even worse than compromising the integrity of the major leagues is that it has trickled down to the high school ranks. You have boys who are 15, 16 years old who are juicing up to add a few mph to their fastball, and it takes some serious moral and ethical bankruptcy to say "steroids aren't a big deal" when they're endangering the health of children.

Baseball records have always been the product of eras. The great pitching numbers come from the 1900s and 1910s, when pitchers could literally soak the baseball before throwing it. The single season HR record pre-Ruth was held by a Chicago Cub who popped fly balls into a lake about 200' away from home plate.

Lately I've become convinced that sportswriters are obsessed with baseball's records because they have a complete inability to judge players based on their actual observable ability. They short change well-rounded players and when they use statistics, they pick the wrong ones. So when the validity of the records goes south, so too does their ability to judge players.

And to answer the query, the only way you can stop high school athletes from using steroids is to test them as well. And are we really at the point where we demand our 15 year old kids piss in a cup as a prerequisite for athletics?

The best way to stop high school athletes from using steroids is for their heroes to set a good example. Now that said good example is ruined for all eternity, I don't know what to say about that.

Guest Czech please!

Yes. Or we can just say that a lifetime of shriveled testicles is the risk you run by committing to athletics.

After the strike of 1994 cancelling the World Series, it took me three years to come back to baseball and it was the home-run chase between McGwire and Sosa that did it. I enjoyed watching the home runs, I won't lie there. But as a baseball fan I truly enjoy watching regular folks play. Most baseball players you can't tell from other people walking down the street.

Some things a couple of people said recently interested me. Marvin Miller, the founder of the players union, said he would never have agreed to drug-testing. Well, Marv, you're a clueless idiot who obviously can't see the steroid era has tarnished the game. Even the clean ones are looked at with suspicion because Fehr refused to cooperate. In fact, Fehr willingly allowed this to happen.

Jesse Ventura recently said that if Vince McMahon was indicted for allowing steroids to run wild on his watch, why is Bud Selig not being indicted? Selig turned a blind eye to what was going on and didn't care (sorry, Bud, I know you hate hearing that but it's the truth). Selig was so worried about his legacy, yet screwed things up so bad he's going down in history as the worst commissioner ever.

If they want to clean things up...you simply have to have both Selig and Fehr resign (or forced out) and I would want to see them both indicted in their allowing steroid trafficking in baseball. Then we go back to the days of having a commissioner who was more interested in the good of the game than pandering to the rich owners and rich players.

Did they ever release the rest of the names on that list btw?

I think there is less juicing in football than most people believe. The mamount of contact and strain, with steroids, we'd be seeing people dropping like flies all the time with torn muscles. Also, Goodel seems to be the anti-Bud...very strict, sometimes too much, but he isn't one to turn a blind eye.

I would have more respect for Arod if he had just come out and said "I wanted to be the best so I took the steroids" instead of this "I was young and naive" shit.

Last I heard, releasing the names in the list was being debated in court.

I don't really care about steroids. Most the people w=ho were on the Mitchell Report were really bad baseball players. Athletes do stupid things all the time that aren't performance enhancing like break many laws. Kids shouldn't view most of these guys as heroes.

Some things a couple of people said recently interested me. Marvin Miller, the founder of the players union, said he would never have agreed to drug-testing. Well, Marv, you're a clueless idiot who obviously can't see the steroid era has tarnished the game. Even the clean ones are looked at with suspicion because Fehr refused to cooperate. In fact, Fehr willingly allowed this to happen.

Miller is hardly a clueless idiot. Allowing players to be drug tested anonymously has now ruined several reputations as the government leaked private tests. Miller would have handled the situation far more adroitly.

Jesse Ventura recently said that if Vince McMahon was indicted for allowing steroids to run wild on his watch, why is Bud Selig not being indicted? Selig turned a blind eye to what was going on and didn't care (sorry, Bud, I know you hate hearing that but it's the truth). Selig was so worried about his legacy, yet screwed things up so bad he's going down in history as the worst commissioner ever.

McMahon was indicted on the charge of actually distributing steroids. Apples and oranges. Considering every single sport around the world has a problem with PEDs, I hardly think the problem can be laid at the feet of Selig, or any one person.

And to answer the query, the only way you can stop high school athletes from using steroids is to test them as well. And are we really at the point where we demand our 15 year old kids piss in a cup as a prerequisite for athletics?

..its actually being done in Texas right now.