TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

This week in the NBA

Along the lines of Detroit and trades, another rumor I've heard is Rasheed Wallace to the Spurs. I don't know who they would deal for him, but that would be a much better coup than Vince Carter, IMO. He would take a lot of the workload defensively off of Duncan. I might go so far as to say they could win another title this year if they make a deal for Sheed. And if it doesn't work out, he's an expiring contract, though I can't imagine it blowing up in their faces.

On one of the ESPN shows today I heard them saying something about rumors of Amare Stoudemire to Cleveland. This was the first I have heard of this and hadn't seen any previous rumors. While that trade would be ace for the Cavs, what do they even have that Suns could even want? I know they mentioned they want: Young Players, expiring contracts and draft picks combination (with New Jersey's offer as an example), but I can't see anything worthwhile for the Suns in Cleveland that the Cavs would be willing to part with. I haven't seen any deal so far that has been particularly enticing for the Suns (IMO, the Miami deal is probably best, albeit not amazing), although one of the rumors I read most recently said the best deal available is one from a team that has yet to even been publicly recognized as having their name in the sweepstakes.

On one of the ESPN shows today I heard them saying something about rumors of Amare Stoudemire to Cleveland. This was the first I have heard of this and hadn't seen any previous rumors. While that trade would be ace for the Cavs, what do they even have that Suns could even want? I know they mentioned they want: Young Players, expiring contracts and draft picks combination (with New Jersey's offer as an example), but I can't see anything worthwhile for the Suns in Cleveland that the Cavs would be willing to part with. I haven't seen any deal so far that has been particularly enticing for the Suns (IMO, the Miami deal is probably best, albeit not amazing), although one of the rumors I read most recently said the best deal available is one from a team that has yet to even been publicly recognized as having their name in the sweepstakes.

Wally Z, JJ Hickson and a couple of first rounders? Weak deal, but it's at least a framework for what they are looking for.

This is an actual, serious post from one of the ESPN comment sections.

When was the last time anyone saw a ref blow a whistle in that situation? I've NEVER seen it in my life. So the fact that LeBron got the foul to being with was rare, which just shows that the SECOND call was CLEARLY CLEARLY CLEARLY a pre-meditated make up call. Joey Crawford thought to himself, 'that was a dumb call by the other official giving LeBron the benefit of the doubt, if the same play happens (which of course it will there is no time left to get a shot off) I'm going to blow the whistle for Indy". That is NOT the way officials are supposed to go about their business.

Frankly, as a Cavs fan I'm really getting sick of the NBA. And I could give a rats #### about being a "no-excuse team" anymore. What the HECK did that ever do for us? Nothing. LeBron gets NERFED by officials more and more each year, and the Cavs get less respect from the NBA and the media this year than they did 3 years ago and now they are an elite team! It's not like we ever got credit for being a "no-excuse" team anyway.

They take away his signature moves, they take away his stats in historic games, and they have NEVER given him star treatment. Dimp is right, not until NY.

srsly. :lol:

Cleveland has the expiring contracts but really nothing in the way of young players or good picks. They'd have to get a third team involved to pull anything off.

KPRC in Houston is reporting that Tracy McGrady may need microfracture surgery, which would end his season.

CBS Sports says Phoenix and Portland are discussing Stoudemire for Aldridge, Bayless and LaFrentz.

Both teams should pull the trigger. Oden, Stoudemire, Outlaw, Roy, and Blake is a solid playoff team (although they need a better PG), and Shaq, Aldridge, Hill, Barbosa, Nash is a decent start. Aldridge could probably be just as good as Amare.

Portland would be better off keeping Aldridge and Bayless and letting the Lafrentz deal come off of their own cap

I do think Portland would be better off not doing that deal, but as someone who watches a decent amount of Suns games and also, in terms of what the other deals on the table for the Suns are, I think that one is the best.

Amar'e wouldn't really work in Portland's system at all. They're the slowest team in the league in terms of pace and they don't have a point guard for him to play pick and roll with. Aldridge, despite being a lesser player, is a way better fit for what they're trying to do.

You have to consolidate talent if you're Portland. You're already hearing *slight* grumblings when it comes to playing time, and it will only be compounded with a sea of young talent who all need time to contribute. That's not even accounting for the shitload of draft picks the Blazers have acquired for the next two seasons. Aldridge is a great building block and coming into his own, but this is AMARE STOUDEMIRE. A duo of Amare and Oden is untouchable on the offensive end. Bayless will never crack the starting lineup with this depth chart. And sitting on LaFrentz' contract? It's an expiring and a top trading piece in the league. Teams are willing to part with legitimate talent for that contract. If you had to make a move, I'd try to grab Amare and Barbosa.

If you value Aldridge that much to keep and develop him, don't make the trade. If you are still concerned about Amare's injury history, don't make the trade. Otherwise, make the trade.

Guest Vitamin X

Completely pointless trade. While I have my reservations about Aldridge really ever coming into his own (he feels like Lamar Odom pt. 2 at this point), Bayless is a huge spark to have in the game and is supposed to be the point guard of the future, and Aldridge is a much better player defensively than Amare.

Amare and Oden on the offensive end is foul trouble and injury problems waiting to happen. Oden can at least make up for any defensive ineffectiveness that Amare has, and Amare can make up for Oden's sometimes troublesome offensive problems, but the two together along with Brandon Roy, are going to be tough to distribute the ball with. Aldridge is at least a good team player.

Makes me wonder what they'll try to do with Channing Frye if anything, though, if this trade goes through. I really hope it doesn't, though. The Blazers are doing fine with their current line-up, although with Webster, Outlaw, Frye, Aldridge and Batum at the forward spots, it must be getting insanely difficult to find playing time. Someone does have to go eventually, I always thought it'd be Frye and/or Outlaw.

I'd just assume they use that LaFrentz contract to acquire Richard Jefferson, Mike Miller or one of the other wings they've been in trade talks for. Amare's better than Aldridge, but that deal seems like making a trade just for the sake of making a trade. They give up some good talent and flexibility for a player that doesn't make them a radically improved team.

For what it's worth, I've heard that Chicago is in this thing big time with an offer of Thomas, Gooden, Noah and a pick. That, to me, makes a little more sense. As long as the Lakers don't sweep in at the 11th hour and get him with the shit platter again, a la Pau Gasol last year, I don't care where he ends up.

Guest Vitamin X

I'm tellin you, Ramon Sessions is the fuckin man. No Michael Redd necessary. The Bucks are a playoff team in the East.

On one of the ESPN shows today I heard them saying something about rumors of Amare Stoudemire to Cleveland. This was the first I have heard of this and hadn't seen any previous rumors.

If you mean ATH, he was asking a hypothetical. There's no rumors about it.

This is an actual, serious post from one of the ESPN comment sections.

When was the last time anyone saw a ref blow a whistle in that situation? I've NEVER seen it in my life. So the fact that LeBron got the foul to being with was rare, which just shows that the SECOND call was CLEARLY CLEARLY CLEARLY a pre-meditated make up call. Joey Crawford thought to himself, 'that was a dumb call by the other official giving LeBron the benefit of the doubt, if the same play happens (which of course it will there is no time left to get a shot off) I'm going to blow the whistle for Indy". That is NOT the way officials are supposed to go about their business.

Frankly, as a Cavs fan I'm really getting sick of the NBA. And I could give a rats #### about being a "no-excuse team" anymore. What the HECK did that ever do for us? Nothing. LeBron gets NERFED by officials more and more each year, and the Cavs get less respect from the NBA and the media this year than they did 3 years ago and now they are an elite team! It's not like we ever got credit for being a "no-excuse" team anyway.

They take away his signature moves, they take away his stats in historic games, and they have NEVER given him star treatment. Dimp is right, not until NY.

srsly. :lol:

Even as a homer, I have to admit for a "no excuse" team, the Cavs sure do bitch and moan a lot.

Mo doesn't make the All Star team - Waaahhhhh

LeBron gets his triple-double taken away at MSG - Waaaahhhhh

Mo doesn't make the All Star team again - Waaahhhh

Cavs get a make up call against them - Waaaahhhhh

And that's just the last couple weeks. Even during games, it seems that LeBron is a perpetual cramper every time he thinks he got breathed on funny. I would have lumped Varejao in there but he has made great strides to tone it down for the most part.

I just hope they man up a little heading into the playoffs.

Wrong. LeBron gets the anti-star treatment probably because he does so much complaining to the refs. It's the chicken and the egg. He routinely gets swiped across the face, knocked on his ass, and his arm grabbed only for everyone to conclude that someone must have jammed in chewed up gum in the officials' whistles as they play on.

If we was getting the star treatment, that foul w/ 1/5 of a second wouldn't have been called on him on Tuesday night.

I will readily admit that LeBron takes lots of contact that isn't called, but a lot of his supporters want to pretend that he never gets the benefit of the whistle whenever the referees may blow a couple, which is just absurd.

FWIW, I don't dislike the Cavs as a team or an organization, I've just grown to dislike LeBron a whole lot over the last year or so. I can't say anything bad about him as a player, but he just has this arrogance about him, like he thinks he's bigger than the rest of the world or something.

I will readily admit that LeBron takes lots of contact that isn't called, but a lot of his supporters want to pretend that he never gets the benefit of the whistle whenever the referees may blow a couple, which is just absurd.

That's fair enough. He gets some calls, he doesn't get some calls. He certainly doesn't get the "star treatment". Not saying he should.

Thought this was a fascinating read. Warning: LONG but again, just fascinating.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine...;pagewanted=all

By MICHAEL LEWIS

Published: February 13, 2009

Out of Duke University. . . . A 6-foot-8-inch forward. . . .

He had more or less admitted to me that this part of his job left him cold. ‘It’s the same thing every day,’ he said, as he struggled to explain how a man on the receiving end of the raging love of 18,557 people in a darkened arena could feel nothing. “If you had filet mignon every single night, you’d stop tasting it.”

To him the only pleasure in these sounds — the name of his beloved alma mater, the roar of the crowd — was that they marked the end of the worst part of his game day: the 11 minutes between the end of warm-ups and the introductions. Eleven minutes of horsing around and making small talk with players on the other team. All those players making exaggerated gestures of affection toward one another before the game, who don’t actually know one another, or even want to. “I hate being out on the floor wasting that time,” he said. “I used to try to talk to people, but then I figured out no one actually liked me very much.” Instead of engaging in the pretense that these other professional basketball players actually know and like him, he slips away into the locker room.

Shane Battier!

Edited by Vitamin X
Harley, great article but please just post a blurb... if we want to read the whole thing, we'll just click the link. Thanks.