TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RedJed

TNA Against All Odds 2009

I know logic and wrestling don't mix, but one of the Dudley's should have laid down for the other.

I was thinking the same thing.

The first five minutes of this match was some of the most mundane "main event" action I've seen in a good while. WTF was that weak shit in the crowd by Buh Buh and Sting?

Pointless match, nothing great there at all. It's official....I just wasted three hours of my life.

The match itself wasn't horrible. It wasn't a PPV main event, but it wasn't horrible.

The only real positive I can think from this show (which came across as a bad version of a Clash of the Champions special) is that they are appearing to possibly load up the next ppv with Joe/Steiner (or Nash), Styles/Booker, Ultimate X (I'm guessing), and probably Sting/Angle, which is a way better lineup than this shit was. Seeds also seem to be planted for Foley/Sting, which I am betting will be booked upcoming hopefully down the road. Other than that, I'm at a loss. Nothing really memorable for matches at all, no significant storyline shifts or movements, etc. Like someone said, this just came across as the equivalent of safe but lazy booking 101 tonight. But I expected that given that the lineup itself and the build to this show was so weak that it never had any potential in the first place.

My ppv provider listed the ppv at 9.99. If it was mentioned earlier in the thread sorry, but did anyone else notice this or is it just my provider making an error. The show was only worth about ten bucks anyway.

The only real positive I can think from this show (which came across as a bad version of a Clash of the Champions special) is that they are appearing to possibly load up the next ppv with Joe/Steiner (or Nash), Styles/Booker, Ultimate X (I'm guessing), and probably Sting/Angle, which is a way better lineup than this shit was. Seeds also seem to be planted for Foley/Sting, which I am betting will be booked upcoming hopefully down the road. Other than that, I'm at a loss. Nothing really memorable for matches at all, no significant storyline shifts or movements, etc. Like someone said, this just came across as the equivalent of safe but lazy booking 101 tonight. But I expected that given that the lineup itself and the build to this show was so weak that it never had any potential in the first place.

Sting-Angle required Angle breaking the pin and stealing it from Sting to steal the title. Instant feud without too much effort. Kick Sting out of the MEM on Thursday and you have your main event.

Sting pinning Bubba clean builds nothing. All the intrigue of the MEM not getting along is shot.

I think there's a better shot of Sting-Hernandez than Sting-Angle next month.

The highlight of the night (besides Beer Money who are a given) was the Dudley's with some chain wrestling and the crowd starts chanting ECW ECW to which Bubba just stops and starts laughing.

It's pretty bad that when I went to the TNA site tonight they don't have the results up for tonight's PPV but they're already advertising the next PPV.

My ppv provider listed the ppv at 9.99. If it was mentioned earlier in the thread sorry, but did anyone else notice this or is it just my provider making an error. The show was only worth about ten bucks anyway.

My provider once listed a TNA show as costing $4.99, but they ended up fixing it before the show and I suspect would have charged anyone who pre-ordered full price.

After last nights show, I'm thinking about not ordering another PPV until this MEM vs Frontline story is over with. They seems to be trying to get this shit over so hard that they are not caring about the rest of the show.

I think the problem with the "Fire Russo" chants is that the Orlando crowd probably think they are being smart by chanting it, more than trying to make a point.

I would imagine that to be the TNA mindset; dismiss it as the crowd being collective smartasses and ignore that they might simply be registering dislike of something.

Well... isn't it?

(I'm going to have to prefix this next point by saying I'm not a Russo fan or really a TNA fan because you took the last post I made in here out of context as me bashing Lance Storm and sympathising with TNA and so on. With that said...)

It's like any chant. The first time it's a genuine outburst. I don't think anyone can begrudge chanting "Fire Russo" after the Abyss/Sting match, or "You Can't Wrestle" during a terrible Khali match. But then fans latch onto it once it becomes 'cool'. And sooner or later, the chants lose their real meaning because certain people are looking for an excuse to use them. Putting a newcomer on PPV against Chris Sabin, hoping that Sabin will make him look good, barely counts as naive booking, let alone bad booking, let alone "Fire Russo" worthy. If people didn't like the match and chanted "Boring", that's understandable. But "Boring" isn't the cool chant of the moment. I don't think "the fans thought they were being cool" is the TNA mindset, it should be the mindset of any wrestling fan who's not a numbskull mark for wrestling fans.

I didn't see this PPV since it didn't sound all that good on paper. Main event sounded about like what I figured it would be, tag match sounds pretty decent but not must see, and so on. But the piece of booking I find baffling is Abyss going over Morgan. Morgan just did a heel turn and needed a clean win over Abyss to get going in that role. Abyss is such toast to the point where it actively hurts the guys he goes over.

Well AJ is probably better off last night getting that segment because it's in my opinion the best promo he's ever done. His work was solid at the start of the Sting angle, and tonight he did a nice job compared to his usual promos. Not to mention Samoa Joe is interesting again right now, as it seems he's back on form to be the near unstoppable badass that everyone grew to love.

After last nights show, I'm thinking about not ordering another PPV until this MEM vs Frontline story is over with. They seems to be trying to get this shit over so hard that they are not caring about the rest of the show.

Its funny that you mention this, because I don't think I've even seen a TNA PPV after Bound for Glory last year, which was about the time the MEM angle started. I guess its because the faces are unbelievable going against those guys, so the PPVs don't sound very interesting. At least this show doesn't sound bad, but Abyss going over Matt Morgan sounds stupid. Abyss has been a joke for about 2 years now, so no way in hell should they have put him over in that match. Its also scary that on TNA's PPVs the past few months, that they have had a good undercard, but unspectacular main event. That almost sounds like WCW.