Sign in to follow this  
RedJed

TNA Impact - February 19, 2009

Credit: PWInsider.com

TNA Xplosion:

Roxxi def. Madison Rayne.

ODB def. Raisha Saeed.

TNA iMPACT!

Opening of Impact, Jim Cornette is with Jeff Jarrett in his office along with Mick Foley. They're discussing Angle's match with Sting and how it shouldn't happen, its a liability to have a match, a fight without a referee.. Jarrett disagrees and Cornette asks Foley's opinion, he answers simply "remember the half time of the Super Bowl?" Cornette says he's not a help. Jarrett says would he rather have him and Angle go at it for a 3rd time and take the company down?

Kurt Angle is in the ring, he said TNA finally made the right decision. He said all he wants is him and Sting alone in the Impact Zone.

Motor City Machine Guns def. Lethal Consequences in a streetfight when Shelley pinned Creed

JB is in Jarrett's office with Cornette, Foley & Jarrett. Cornette said they met Angle's demands and only the cameramen to document it and the announcers to call it will be present.

Dave Penzer announced when the Impact Zone is cleared for the match, that the fans can still watch on monitors outside.

Backstage with the MEM, there's a lot of internal arguing and Angle called Booker T out..Booker leaves and as he makes his way up the hall with Sharmell, AJ Styles attacks him with the Legends Title.

Beer Money, Inc comes to the ring. Robert Roode says they are the best..and they have knocked down every team put in front of them. They've come up with a very special idea..the Off The Wagon Challenge. James Storm goes on to explain that they will put the tag team titles on the line anytime, anyplace...but, whoever gets pinned, they have to leave TNA forever..they can't come back under a mask, be an announcer, not even the stupid cameraman. And that challenge starts tonight.

LAX & Shane Sewell def Matt Morgan, Shiek Abdul Bashir & Brutus Magnus when Sewell pinned Bashir.

Taylor Wilde w/Roxxi & Gov Palin def Angelina Love w/Cute Kip & Velvet Sky.

JB catches up with Sting backstage and they discuss tonight's upcoming match between him and Angle.

Off the Wagon Challenge Match

Beer Money Inc def the reuniting Team Canada of Eric Young & Petey Williams when Roode pinned Williams. Petey Williams is now gone from TNA Wrestling.

They now have the fans leave the arena to watch the monitors outside for the Kurt Angle/Sting match.

Sting & Angle went to a no-contest. They battled all over the arena and when Sting had Angle begging for mercy and was about to hit him a second time with a steel chair, Angle begged for mercy and pled with Sting not to hit him. Suddenly, Kevin Nash appeared at ringside and as Sting was about to give in and hit Angle, Nash grabbed the chair from him and Scott Steiner held back Angle and Nash held back Sting...Sting extended his hand to Angle, he accepted and then spit in Sting's face. Nash & Steiner restrained the two and Angle went back up the ramp with Steiner while Sting remained at ringside.

-----------------------------

The ending of the show just seems to further lead to probably Angle/Sting for the title at the ppv. The street fight tag match sounds good.

The next ppv is in Orlando again, but honestly doing an empty arena match as the main event of a ppv, anyway you slice it, it probably a bad idea when you think of it. Especially for the live fans.

I think Empty Arena match is a bad idea for ppv...but I don't hate using the concept on television. Something different than you'll usually see at least. Obviously all storyline movement though.

Exactly.

I think Empty Arena match is a bad idea for ppv...but I don't hate using the concept on television. Something different than you'll usually see at least. Obviously all storyline movement though.

I definitly won't mind Sting vs. Angle in an empty arena. Something new that neither guy has done before. What brings me utter horror, however, is the idea of listening to Tenay and West commentate that thing without the crowd noise to drown them out a bit.

I definitly won't mind Sting vs. Angle in an empty arena. Something new that neither guy has done before. What brings me utter horror, however, is the idea of listening to Tenay and West commentate that thing without the crowd noise to drown them out a bit.

THIS IS AN EMPTY ARENA MATCH!!! THAT MEANS NO ONE IS IN THE ARENA, DW!!!!

Tech, if the announcers are still at ringside, doesn't that means it's NOT an empty arena? Obviously cameramen make sense but why would it make sense for the announcers to stay? That's one of those things that if you are going to sell it, maybe go the whole distance and remove the announcers as well.

Did I miss something while reading the next two weeks of spoilers or did Samoa Joe disappear? Must have some backstage segments or something.

I like that after all of this Frontline stuff the only people who could bring down the MEM are the MEM themselves.

That's been my biggest problem with this whole storyline, that it's not the Frontline bring down the MEM, but the MEM themselves. The only non-MEM people to really get one up on them are either Foley, Cornette or Jarrett. Anyone else gets only the briefest of hope spots before being beaten down and treated like garbage. The only real exception was Team 3D beating Angle and Sting at the last tapings, but even then it was a banana peel finish and after that the focus was on the MEM fighting amongst themselves rather than on the fact that the Frontline got a win over a former TNA champion.

Tech, if the announcers are still at ringside, doesn't that means it's NOT an empty arena? Obviously cameramen make sense but why would it make sense for the announcers to stay? That's one of those things that if you are going to sell it, maybe go the whole distance and remove the announcers as well.

Lance Russell was in the arena for the Lawler/Funk Empty Arena match, which is regarded as a classic. It's not like TNA is screwing up their own gimmick.

Lance Russell was in the arena for the Lawler/Funk Empty Arena match, which is regarded as a classic. It's not like TNA is screwing up their own gimmick.

That's probably because Russell added to the match and made it better...I'm 90% sure West/Tenay will ruin any quality this match might have.

It didn't pop any good re-match business

I don't get what you mean...Angle spit in Sting's face and Sting vowed to get Kurt for spitting in his face. People are going to be intrested in seeing the rematch.

people were discussing the Funk/Lawler match, i was just pointing out that dispite being famous, it failed to pop business.

And its TNA, so no nobody cares but the same 20,000 people who buy every PPV

For what it's worth, and be it a bit delayed on thoughts, but I thought that empty arena match with Sting and Angle was some of the better stuff TNA has done in months in terms of a start to finish ending segment that really was significant and well done. That fall Angle took HAD to have been an accident, just seemed very awkwardly done, like Angle was just trying to work the barricade by the seats there and leaned over far too much (or Sting accidentally pushed him over too much) and he took the fall. Especially considering that he appeared legitimately to work Sting with some stiff can shots right after, and didn't even sell the bump at all, it was weird.

The rest of the show was, as usual, hit or miss. Some really bad stuff like the Abyss/Stevie Richards shit, the ODB vignette (which sounds like it's a work and just an excuse to debut some new guy into the company perhaps), and the promo by Roxxi, Taylor and "The Governor" was so horrible. And these chicks are supposed to be babyfaces? They came off like the most whacked out chicks ever, bigger bitchier attitudes than the Beautiful People even do.

The good stuff though was real good, like the Beer Money match, the street fight with MCMGs, etc. The Scott Steiner promo was fucking hilarious, and actually even led somewhere with Joe holding Steiner down on the bench.