TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LivingLegendGaryColeman

Most surprising addicting game

All the time you hear people saying how no matter what they couldn't put down Halo or Call of Duty or the current Madden or any lot of the general popular games, but what games were you surprisingly addicted to?

I know in old "Surprisingly Good" game threads, I always used to show my love for the Haunted Mansion game that was on PS2/Gamecube/Xbox. While I collect games and love to play them (albeit, I'm not too talented), I tend to have more games than I play. Often times, I will pick up a game, get going and never go back, or just play the current wrestling or sports game to death. The Haunted Mansion I think was the first game I just wanted to continue. I don't know if I would like it going back now, but for some reason I was hooked on that game when it came out.

Another game I remember I was surprisingly addicted to back in that generation was Bond: Everything or Nothing. The Bond game that highlighted it had its own original story and cast the likenesses and voice talents of actors ranging from Willem Dafoe to Shannon Elizabeth. While this game got fairly solid reviews, I don't recall it ever being extremely popular and only knew a handful of people that played it (a few on my recommendation).

I can't think of any shockers in the current generation of games and played too much weird stuff in the Super Nintendo days to even write about those ones. I'm just curious to see what games others got addicted to that they weren't expected, and maybe that will open the flood gates for some of us to get hooked on games we may not have tried otherwise.

The same thing happened to me with Metal Gear Solid 1 & 2. As for the topic, I have to say, when the original Wario Ware came out, the concept was so strange that I never thought it would be such a successfully addictive multiplayer series.

I've replayed Resident Evil 4 about 3 or 4 times, which is pretty rare for me. I've found myself hooked on Marvel Ultimate Alliance for a while where I would just keep replaying the game to keep leveling up my characters.

Culdcept. I only picked it up because it was free, and had absolutely no expectations for it whatsoever.

I ended up putting more time into that than any other PS2 game. I probably broke 200 hours.

Clock Tower 3 - For some reason, once I bought it, I made myself keep playing until I was finished. Looking back, it was really nothing more than an average survival-horror game, but I couldn't put it down.

Fallout 3 - I invested 40+ hours into this game for the

world's most anticlamactic ending

. However, it's been a long time since a game had me up until 4 AM because I couldn't stop playing.

Final Fantasy X - I still play through this, and do EVERYTHING, at least once a year. So hard to stop playing.......

Burnout 3 - I normally don't care much for driving games, but after playing the demo to death, I had to buy the full version. I lost many hours of sleep to this one.

World of Warcraft: Yes I'm an addict.

NCAA 2007: I was addicted to this, and I believe I had twelve seasons going with the Illini. Had a dynasty period which lasted seven years winning the BCS six out of the seven years. In 11 years I was in a bowl appearance 10 of them, six BCS championships and one loss, Rose bowl championship and also losing one Rose bowl and the International bowl which I loss.

Legend of Zelda: Any of them.

Halo

Halo and Halo 2 Multiplayer: The single campaigns were fun, however the multiplayer is really what kept me interested in those games and had me and my friends addicted to having giant ass lan parties or playing together on XBL. The Halo 2 Multiplayer is something I got really addicted to. I don't really remember ever stepping away from it for another game, I'd always try to fit some Halo 2 Multiplayer in, when it came to me gaming. Halo 3 however....Just doesn't do it for me like Halo 1 and 2 did. I haven't played Halo 3 for quite awhile and I just can't find it as good as Halo 2's multiplayer. I'm really hoping that Halo Wars gives me that "I gotta play this online again!!" feeling again when it comes to Halo games.

Ninja Gaiden (Xbox): Jesus Christ this game was fun and hard, but I loved every minute of it. It eventually made me go back on my game and my friends games as well just to try and get the scarabs. Though it felt easier the 2nd time I played through it.

Tetris: Enough Said

Ghosts and Goblins: One of my favorite games on the NES and probably my most played game on the NES.

Pit-Figher (SNES): As much as it pains me, I was addicted to this game. I kept getting to one fight where I would get my ass kicked and get a game over but I wanted to pass that fight so much I kept playing it over and over. I was so young...so, so young.

Animal Crossings (Gamecube): When Animal Crossings first came out, I was in love with it...well that was until I felt I was forced to play it just to get everything collected. Unfortunately the Wii version, just couldn't do the same for me.

Metal Gear Solid: I love these games and I played the Xbox version a lot. After beating the main story, I got into a big habit for quite awhile where I tried to unlock and do just about everything in the game.

Tecmo's Deception (PS1): This my favorite PS1 game. This is the only PS1 game that ever got me to play a Playstation. I really wish I could play it today...sadly I cannot.

I hardly ever play RPGs, let alone replay them, but there's so much to see and do in Earthbound, especially with easter eggs. Mother 3 followed the tradition, but I've yet to have time to beat it.

Culdcept Saga - I think I probably put in 40 of the ~120 hours just trying to get the last 5 or 6 cards to get the achievements/complete the collection.

Diablo - I might have put in more time playing the demo that came with a PC Gamer magazine than most of the games I had at the time. Between the demo, the game and the Hellfire expansion I can safely guess I probably logged at least 200 hours on it. While Diablo II was clearly a better game, I definitely played the first one more.

Disgaea - easily over 120 hours, I haven't played it in a while and still have at least 3 super hidden bosses left.

FFX - the first game I know I played for over 100 hours because of the clock feature. I probably played Blitzball more than most of the sports games I own.

Persona 3 - I had many sessions that ended up at somewhere between 3 & 4 AM because I was exploring Tartarus or wanted to redo a botched Social Link. Ended up playing it all the way through again when FES came out, so that's about 150 hours or so worth of play.

Culdcept Saga - I think I probably put in 40 of the ~120 hours just trying to get the last 5 or 6 cards to get the achievements/complete the collection.

Diablo - I might have put in more time playing the demo that came with a PC Gamer magazine than most of the games I had at the time. Between the demo, the game and the Hellfire expansion I can safely guess I probably logged at least 200 hours on it. While Diablo II was clearly a better game, I definitely played the first one more.

Disgaea - easily over 120 hours, I haven't played it in a while and still have at least 3 super hidden bosses left.

FFX - the first game I know I played for over 100 hours because of the clock feature. I probably played Blitzball more than most of the sports games I own.

Persona 3 - I had many sessions that ended up at somewhere between 3 & 4 AM because I was exploring Tartarus or wanted to redo a botched Social Link. Ended up playing it all the way through again when FES came out, so that's about 150 hours or so worth of play.

God I love the hell out of this game, but I've never been able to get the hang of Blitzball. I've given it a chance on every play through, but the constantly shifting camera angles make it a little difficult to get the hang of. That's just me though.

Tetris

Mike Tyson's Punch Out- You can beat this game in a little over 30 minutes. Why am I still playing it after 20 years?

NCAA Baseball 2006- Gains more traction as former collegiate players become recognizable pros.

Intelligent Qube

metal gear solid series: i've replayed 1 and 2 at least four times, and 2 wasn't even that great of a game -- i just enjoy figuring out new ways to do things. i dunno why, tbh.

fallout 3: i can play this stupid game for 5 hours and not realize i've been sitting for that long. just the endless number of quests and ability to run around blowing the arms off of super mutants is unbelievably fun.

on a different note:

ultima online: no freaking joke. i hate people who play mmorpgs in general, because i think they're a bunch of fags, but i used to play this game as a kid and i was on it 8 hours a day or so. recently, a friend of mine told me about a free server for it, and i got stuck playing it for 3 hours a day again for about three months, until i realized i had no time to do that anymore. just a stupid addicting game with their pvp system. i'd never play world of warcraft, because i feel like i'd rather stick an icepick in my brain, but this isn't much better in terms of levels of geekiness.

pokerstars: fja;itjnbasd;klfjas;dlkgjtroiuab;smdfas!!!!! i am an addicted gambler, so what can you do? it's not a video game in the traditional sense, but i challenge anyone with a sufficient bankroll and drive to tell me that online poker isn't the most insanely addicting habit of all time.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors for SNES: Not only terribly addicting, but insanely hard at times, too. I guess the wide variety of monsters, weapons, and level types endeared themselves to me as a kid.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors for SNES: Not only terribly addicting, but insanely hard at times, too. I guess the wide variety of monsters, weapons, and level types endeared themselves to me as a kid.

Oh my god yes! That might be one of the greatest games ever!

And Mario Kart 64. In the age of super advanced video game technology this game is still the most played game in my apartment.

Likewise. We play more N64 games than anything else combined.

Mario Kart 64.

WCW vs. nWo Revenge

Half-Life/Counter-Strike

Goldeneye 64

Super Mario World