TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

Favre Retirement II: Electric Boogaloo

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3898942

Without the tearful public ceremony that accompanied his retirement announcement from the Green Bay Packers just 11 months ago, quarterback Brett Favre has told the New York Jets he is retiring.

Chris Mortensen and Ed Werder break the news that Brett Favre is retiring from the Jets. Plus, Steve Phillips on A-Rod and Bob Knight on college basketball.

Favre had instructed his agent, James "Bus" Cook, to inform the Jets on Wednesday that he is retiring. Jets team executives and coach Rex Ryan confirmed the retirement in a statement, saying they talked to Favre on Wednesday morning about his decision.

"I have great admiration for him as a player and a person. I wish him only the best in his life after football," Ryan said.

In an e-mail to ESPN's Ed Werder, Favre indicated he had no regrets about finishing his career with the Jets rather than with the Green Bay Packers franchise he represented for his previous 16 NFL seasons. He specifically praised Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum, team owner Woody Johnson and fired coach Eric Mangini -- and even mentioned Thomas Jones and Kerry Rhodes, both of whom were publicly critical of Favre after the team's collapse in the final month of the season prevented the Jets from making the playoffs.

"Mike and Woody, as well as the entire organization, have been nothing short of outstanding,'' Favre said in the e-mail. "My teammates -- Thomas and Kerry included -- were a pleasure to play with. Eric [Mangini] could not have been any better. I enjoyed playing for him. My time with the Jets was short, but I'm honored to be given that chance.''

Tannenbaum and Johnson were expected to hold a conference call at noon ET.

Would the Jets even think about Cassel, or will they turn to the draft? I guess Garcia might be available, but there aren't many starting options out there in free agency.

Also, is the Jets run damaging to Favre's legacy? Will anyone remember his embarrassing finish in New York or will be forgotten like so many other HOFers spending their twilight years in new cities with bad performances?

Would the Jets even think about Cassel, or will they turn to the draft? I guess Garcia might be available, but there aren't many starting options out there in free agency.

I saw a mock draft of them getting Sanchez from USC yesterday, but that seemed unrealistic at # 17 I think.

What a waster.

Why did he come back for one year to be a bit of a flop for the NY Jets, cause most of Green Bay fans to think he's a bit of a dick, and then retire again (again). I think it'll tarnish him very slightly, but not hugely, if anything it'll have left a bad taste in some fan's mouths (GB and NY a like) with the way he's acted.

What a waster.

I thought Cassel was franchise tagged?

He was, but I don't think there's much of a chance that the Patriots bring him back next year if Brady is healthy. They'll trade him before the start of the season and the new team will negotiate a long-term deal.

Ouch, this is rough. Here is a quick re-cap of Favre's year from an ESPN article:

• The Jets went 9-7, failing to make the playoffs despite committing $140 million to free agents such as Alan Faneca, Damien Woody, Tony Richardson and Calvin Pace and trading for Kris Jenkins.
  • Favre led the NFL with 22 interceptions and had a 79.3 second-half passer rating.
  • He threw two touchdowns and nine interceptions in the final five games. The Jets were 1-4 in those games and needed a miracle defensive play to beat the Buffalo Bills.
  • The Jets released Chad Pennington to make room for Favre. Pennington led the Dolphins to the AFC East championship after a 1-15 season in 2007. The Dolphins beat the Jets at the Meadowlands to clinch.
  • The Jets' late-season collapse cost several people their jobs. They fired Eric Mangini the day after the season finale. Mangini landed with the Cleveland Browns.
  • Adhering to superstition, Mangini in October named his newborn son after Favre. Maybe Wite-Out has been applied to the birth certificate.
  • Favre learned he suffered a torn biceps during the season and was playing hurt.
  • Favre created tension in the Jets' locker room. Running back Thomas Jones publicly said Favre should have been benched for his poor play late in the season. Safety Kerry Rhodes noted he would like Favre to come back only if he committed himself in the offseason.

Guest Vitamin X
If Favre didn't tarnish himself with the several years of "will she or won't she" that he played with the media...double retirement won't do it either. Neither will it when he comes back this time.

A messy divorce from the majority of his fans going to another team in the other conference only to have them fail and not make the playoffs, largely because of his own performance down the stretch? A messy, alienating divorce? Bullshit.

As Packer fans, we gladly and happily waited his decision every year and were delighted every year up until the last one when he came back, mostly because we remember his last play as a Packer single-handedly killed our chances at the Super Bowl. The retirement decision saga every past few years was easily a product of today's hyperactive sports media since I could've easily pointed out that every HOF QB that has a long-standing deal with a club usually tries to play until they're 38-39, nearly 40. This year Favre turns 40, so it would be no surprise that he might actually stay done for good this time, and he can't go the Vikings unless he decides to change his mind- again!- and the Jets release him.

I know Unitas and Namath both finished their careers with other teams- I believe the Rams and Chargers- and of course Montana most notably did as well, although he did at least have a couple years left in him to do it and the Niners had Young to get over Montana with. I wouldn't say it killed their legacies because those quarterbacks were simply just at the end of their careers and moved on; Favre severed his legacy with a great majority of his primary fanbase and while we forgave him for his many, many interceptions and other bad "just havin' fun out there" plays, there's no excuse for coming back after the teary-eyed press conference.

Good thing the Hall of Fame has a five year waiting period. If I were a voter, I'd have a very difficult time forgiving him for this year. One Super Bowl and exactly 3 playoff wins over the past decade. Sure he owns all the records, but he'll be known more for his longevity and being a selfish prick this past year than anything else.

Good thing the Hall of Fame has a five year waiting period. If I were a voter, I'd have a very difficult time forgiving him for this year. One Super Bowl and exactly 3 playoff wins over the past decade. Sure he owns all the records, but he'll be known more for his longevity and being a selfish prick this past year than anything else.

This made me think of two things:

1. Did Favre get a pass for most of his career because of the Super Bowl win and three MVPs? I remember quite a few sub-par years over the last decade or so. There's not a lot of sustained playoff success either.

2. Where does he rank all-time? Is he a top-five Quarterback? Top ten?

Guest Vitamin X

This made me think of two things:

1. Did Favre get a pass for most of his career because of the Super Bowl win and three MVPs? I remember quite a few sub-par years over the last decade or so. There's not a lot of sustained playoff success either.

2. Where does he rank all-time? Is he a top-five Quarterback? Top ten?

1. Yes, absolutely. And he did it all very early on in his career, but over the past decade he threw a slew of touchdowns and was just as able to keep the Pack in the game as take them out of it. His worst year aside from this one was in 2005, but aside from that, Favre always was good for a few jaw-dropping plays a year and was a hell of a fun player to watch.

2. Definitely top ten, but it's pretty hard to make a case for him being top five.

I don't see him as being anywhere near the top 5 because I know of at least that many who I saw that I'd rate as clearly better (Brady, Elway, Manning, Marino, Montana) and that doesn't include people like Steve Young or Warren Moon who didn't spend most of their prime as starters in the NFL. Then there are all the greats who played before the '80s which probably puts him at the low end of the top 10, or a few spots outside of it.

Just post in the other Favre thread

I beat Cheech to the punch in posting this, and we already had a topic about Favre's never ending quest for attention. I don't see why the threads couldn't have just been merged, it would be interesting to have the Favre saga as one big thread.

Favre really tarnished his legacy with this season. He made such a fuss about wanting to come back this season and play, and then completely justifies the Packers reasons not wanting him back by completely shitting the bed at the end. The fact that he did it in the New York market, just makes the whole thing worse.

I beat Cheech to the punch in posting this, and we already had a topic about Favre's never ending quest for attention. I don't see why the threads couldn't have just been merged, it would be interesting to have the Favre saga as one big thread.

Oh shut up, bob. You bumped a year-old thread and you did it after I started this one. No one gives a shit but you. Go bitch somewhere else.

Oh shut up, bob. You bumped a year-old thread and you did it after I started this one. No one gives a shit but you. Go bitch somewhere else.

No, I was first. And I bumped a year-old thread that was relevant to the discussion. I'm just curious as to why we couldn't have made the Favre saga one big thread. Excuse me for asking a question.

If I were a voter, I'd have a very difficult time forgiving him for this year. One Super Bowl and exactly 3 playoff wins over the past decade. Sure he owns all the records, but he'll be known more for his longevity and being a selfish prick this past year than anything else.

That's pretty stupid reasoning. 3 playoff wins is pretty impressive if you ask me, especially given the NFL playoff landscape. And the guy played in two Super Bowls!

VikingsHeadShadow.JPG

See you next season.

If they want to torpedo their season by getting Favre, that's fine by me. He's a 39 year old QB that needs shoulder surgery that he's refusing to have and he is coming off the worst season of his career. This isn't the same situation as last year, where it looked like he had something left.

Thank God. 'Course, the Jets QB situation is completely up in the air now, but it'd be hard to imagine any of the possible outcomes being worse than another year of Favre.

Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff and Erik Ainge are all pretty mediocre. I gotta imagine they draft a QB this year and sign some journeyman as a stopgap.

Kellen Clemens has not lit the world on fire, but at the same time he has not really been given the ball for TOO extended amount of time. Heck look how much time Grossman got in Chicago (albiet he was a first rounder as opposed to a 2nd rounder).

I'm not a Jets fan so I'm not emotionally invested in the team, so just take this as a general football fan speaking. I say go for the journeyman back up and keep K.C.

Use the draft to stockpile other positions. Clemens may surprise. He may have a Cassel or Derek Anderson break out year (and hopefully not fizzle later) The first year for Ryan should be a honeymoon year unless he pulls a Petrino or a Cameron. The 2010 draft is a LOT sexier for quarterbacks anyway should the Clemens experiment bomb for good.

I haven't seen Kellen Clemens in practice though and I've only seen limited NFL game footage.

Shall be interesting to see where the Jets go from here.

As for Brett Favre Brett Favre Brett Favre, what can be said? The man did for 18 years what a good bit of us dream about. His last few years have grated on a few people's nerves, yes. But hey, he's always been fun to watch...again if you don't have an emotional investment in the team he is representing...or playing against. I'll always remember that 2003 MNF game against the Raiders (mostly because ESPN won't shut up about it) but yeah it was inspiring.

Here's to hoping it doesn't come out that he was on performance enhancers at any point in his career. Because you know we'll just have to deal with more Brett Favre headlines.

Heard a report that said Favre actually did ask the Jets for his release, which they refused.

I think he's done for good. He'll still be remembered as one of the best of all time, but I think it would be good for him to lay low for about a year, and then the following season he can come to Green Bay so they can do the number retirement schtick. Maybe after that he can ease his way into a coaching job or something. This past season proved he just doesn't have it anymore to be a starting quarterback.

I read somewhere else that there is a contract clause that says if the Jets release Favre and he signs with a NFC North team they have to give up three first round draft picks to Green Bay. I can't, obviously, speak to the validity of that claim but it would certainly make some sense.

"The Jets were 1-4 in those games and needed a miracle defensive play to beat the Buffalo Bills"

Nothing miraculous about waiting for Dick Jauron to do something stupid.

fixed.

I read somewhere else that there is a contract clause that says if the Jets release Favre and he signs with a NFC North team they have to give up three first round draft picks to Green Bay. I can't, obviously, speak to the validity of that claim but it would certainly make some sense.

I think that was for last season and I was under the impression that wouldn't apply if it were to take place this year (that's probably not going to happen anyway). For some reason I thought this year would be an option for Farve to stay on at the Jets if it worked out, rather than a straight forward "your here whether you like it or not".