TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BlueStang302

Honky Tonk Man's role in The MegaPowers

Those of you who are veterans of shoot interviews and youtube will know that Honky Tonk Man is very opinionated and outspoken. He's a fun guy to listen to rank. This is what he said: As the story goes, Vince McMahon wanted Savage to win the IC belt at that October Saturday Nights Main Event (when they ran the guitar shot angle).

Honky refused, reasoning that he and Savage were doing sold out business across the country, and contacted NWA who told him to jump ship and bring the belt with him. Honky tells Vince he isn't going to put Savage over, and it sets off a chain of events that began the rise of the biggest storylines that were occuring in the WWF when I started watching as a kid (The Savage/Hogan alliance leading to the eventual Double Referee Andre Hogan match in 1988).

The World belt was promised to Ted DiBiase, but Honky refusing to give up the IC gold resulted in Savage eventually winning the World Title at Wrestlemania 4. To appease DiBiase, apparantly, they gave him the "Million Dollar Belt".

Watching this angle unfold on my SNME DVD last night I was amazed how quickly they must have come up with such a great angle - the formation of the Megapowers revolving around Elizabeth returning from the back with Hogan after Honky hit Savage with the guitar. This angle and the subsequent "The MegaPowers Explode!" angle headlined WWF shows for the better part of two years.

My question is, if what Honky says is true... how would history have changed if he hadn't refused to do the job? If Savage wins the title clean theres no need for Hogan to save him from the attack (Honky admits that Vince told him he would be taken off the tv and repackaged. So it's clear there was no post match attack planned).

Is Honky's story generally believed to be true?

I think it's generally accepted as being true from everything I've read, but the Megapowers were formed before this came about. Honky refused to job to Savage at the end of the feud, either at The Main Event in Indianapolis or at WrestleMania IV, depending on who the story comes from.

I believe it was The Main Event, leading to Savage winning the tournament at WM4.

Honky's been known to do a lot of embellishing, but this is pretty much as close to the truth as it gets. It was also stated somewhere that he willingly did the jobs as he got shunted down the card, doing business right by "paying back" the talent he put over, so I'm wondering where along the way he became the bitter veteran he is now.

Ah, well if it was a different event than that would make my question moot. I guess I could have looked it up, but Honky never specified which Main Event so last night while watching I just figured it must have been the one I was seeing. I remember the Andre-Hogan deal seeing it live as my first wrestling memory, but its very vague and I was 5 and I don't recall the undercard lol