TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 2009 Draft announced

*crosses fingers* Please don't fuck up ECW again.

They should just call it the annual ECW rape and pillage.

Christian, Miz/Morrison (though seriously do they even count as ECW anymore?), Swagger, Bourne and a couple others will probably be gone. Boogeyman for ECW Champion!

Definitely Triple H back to RAW.

Honestly though, does it matter where the ECW guys go, since they can show up wherever they want anyways? It's definitely important where the SD or RAW guys end up, however.

Christian, Miz/Morrison (though seriously do they even count as ECW anymore?), Swagger, Bourne and a couple others will probably be gone. Boogeyman for ECW Champion!

I tend to believe Smackdown will lose big here. MyNetworkTV going to mostly reruns has to give a cold shiver to WWE.

I tend to believe Smackdown will lose big here. MyNetworkTV going to mostly reruns has to give a cold shiver to WWE.

Funny thing about that: right now Smackdown has a bigger roster than Raw does.

Draft should happen at the same time last year's draft was.

I like the draft right after WM. Otherwise, there's like this weird limbo period afterward. WM, I think, should be the end of the WWE year, and the draft the new beginning.

What a fast year.

Surely they'll notice Raw has been a better place without HHH's face all over it? I like the guy, I appreciate his star value, but it was getting a bit boring having him all over RAW for 3 years straight.

This is probably way down on everybody else's wish list, but I'm crossing my fingers that JR and Cole get switched back. I'm pretty much a Raw-only viewer at this point, and no matter how hard I try, I just can't enjoy Cole calling Raw.

^True. SD/ECW don't hold much because they have spoilers. Exception is big things like Christian returning. So I generally stick to Raw, and JR really gives everything a big treatment and makes it seem so much more important. Besides, SD is settled on MNTV.

This is probably way down on everybody else's wish list, but I'm crossing my fingers that JR and Cole get switched back. I'm pretty much a Raw-only viewer at this point, and no matter how hard I try, I just can't enjoy Cole calling Raw.

I hope they get switched as well.

Far fetched I know, I just wouldn't be 100% shocked. I wouldn't have thought Christian would leave TNA for ECW, but maybe they'll both be promised something different only to end up there.

Will ECW end up pushing people like DJ Gabriel and TJ Wi.. er, Tyson Kidd, and even Jamie Noble, to main event status in ECW, or will someone like Khali and more midcarders get drafted to headline the show?

Kane or Punk could easily return to the show, not sure what they have planned for Punk though on the big show.

I'm also glad it's back to being a post-Mania draft. In theory, it should end (or at least help freshen up) the WWE's current stagnant routine of not changing post-Mania feuds until after Backlash or beyond.

As for announcing, it definitely needs to be changed up again. Will it? Probably not, but to be honest it was only a few weeks ago that Cole opening up Raw didn't sound weird to me. For MONTHS I kept expecting to hear JR welcoming me to Monday Night Raw. Cole and Coach were terrible and he didn't have much time with Foley, but Cole and Tazz are an established team that I thought did fine (and at some points after the initial brand extension, better than JR/King) so that straight swap would be fine. For a big shake-up, you could make Raw JR and Striker, ECW be Lawler and Grisham, and SmackDown Tazz and Cole. If JR stays on SmackDown, I wouldn't mind Striker and Tazz being swapped.

There may be no Cryme Tyme after the draft. The latest WON notes Shad is "on the bubble" and that could be trouble for JTG if they don't want to use him as a singles guy. Shad was pulled from the Rumble as a "message that he needs to improve". "John Laurinaitis had a recent face-to-face meeting with him specifically telling him the company was unhappy with his lack of progress".

Am I the only one who'd like to see Matt Hardy drafted back to ECW? He can still have his feud with Jeff, because ECW guys can go anywhere, and he'd also be able to feud with Christian over the ECW title while adding a whining part to his heel character about being "stuck back in the minor leagues"

Not to be 'that guy', but does the draft even matter anymore, considering certain talent just floats between shows as and when required? Not to mention the guys who've offically switched brands, like Burchill, Noble, Matt Hardy.

So I wouldn't panic too much over guys moving. Aside from the main-eventers, who only appear on other shows on special occasions and the announcers, who only appear on other shows on special occasions unless you're Todd Grisham in which case you can appear on Raw and ECW, after a couple of months people will go back to roaming and everything'll be back to normal.

Not to be 'that guy', but does the draft even matter anymore, considering certain talent just floats between shows as and when required? Not to mention the guys who've offically switched brands, like Burchill, Noble, Matt Hardy.

Agreed. It should be a fun show and do good ratings, but it has def lost it's luster due to all the brand hopping in recent years, imo. That said, I could see Taker going over to Raw seeing as he hasn't been on that show since the initial brand separation in 2002.

The announcing isn't far down on my list at all, in fact the first thing they need to do is get Cole off of Raw. Put Ross back on it since at least he would force Lawler to up his game again as well. Really, Ross is the only announcer who has gotten much out of Lawler.

Given The Undertaker's recent Raw appearance perhaps he would end up back on Raw full time after the draft? Oh and it wouldn't shock me if Christian ended up in the draft as well, hopefully jumping to SD to get involved in the various Edge and Hardys antics.

Regarding RVD, if he did ever come back wouldn't he have to be on ECW? As in the show was basically created for him. Or at least Van Dam would have to be there for a while until the next draft could send him to Raw or SD.

I think that Cryme Tyme on ECW would be a very choice. The Raw tag division is really shit, and from ECW they would be able to show up on Smackdown, which I think would draw a better demographic for them. Plus they have more competition on ECW/Smackdown.

to be honest, the draft doesn't mean anything since all the pay per views have all 3 brands. Back in 02-05ish, the draft was a big issue because we would see fresh matches and storylines. It would also let some storylines on 1 show build for a few weeks instead of rushing it in 3 weeks or having rematch after rematch. Currently, some belts aren't even on the line at pay per views. When was the last time the WWE tag belts were on the line at a ppv? One Night Stand?

I have to admit, the only change that would seriously make me mark out even if I knew it was coming would be Taker to RAW. Seeing that entrance on one of two nights I watch wrestling (I tape RAW and ECW without commercials because of the overrun) would be awesome. This past RAW I seriously could watch that entrance all over again. Just something about it, I guess going back to my childhood or something.