TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Art Sandusky

I'm enlisting in the Army.

I work with a former Cav Scout. Biggest douche/asshole I know. Fortunately, I think he would have been a huge asshole regardless of his MOS. Judging from some of his stories, you'll get to do exciting things like stay on your stomach in the woods for 4 days.

Might sound fucked up, but hell yeah. That's what I'm talking about. I'm trying not to be a dumbass gung-ho asshole, but this MOS excites the fuck out of me. Has he ever worn his Stetson in your presence?

re: MEPS - I know it'll suck, but the idea is that the whole time I'm there will be one big ol' suckfest. The gas chamber during BCT? Oh yeah, big ol' bag of suck. Strange thing is that all the shit I'm supposed to dread just amps me up more. Maybe I'm a masochist.

Two of my brothers were in the army.

One over dosed while in a military hospital. The other blew his brains out at the dinner table.

But yeah, I hear the pay is good and stuff.

That wasn't a joke post by the way. Be prepared to do and see things that will fuck your head up really good.

I work with a former Cav Scout. Biggest douche/asshole I know. Fortunately, I think he would have been a huge asshole regardless of his MOS. Judging from some of his stories, you'll get to do exciting things like stay on your stomach in the woods for 4 days.

Might sound fucked up, but hell yeah. That's what I'm talking about. I'm trying not to be a dumbass gung-ho asshole, but this MOS excites the fuck out of me. Has he ever worn his Stetson in your presence?

I don't think he has; he was only in for 6 years and has an odd sort of California-cool-kid's distance from it all. He uses his scout background as a means of behaving superior in conversation (even though he was just an E-4 humping around in Germany most of the time), but won't stick with any of the fancy trappings like uniform or medals or whatever. I do know that he's killed a few people, so enjoy that if it comes down to it.

I'm not really looking forward to killing people (if I do). It's more of a resignation that it's part of the job and that if I'm ever in a situation where I have to that it'll be a totally justified act given that they'll be shooting at me as well. The moment someone discharges a firearm in my direction is when I have no problem returning fire. If I wanted to be a straight-up killer I would have enlisted in the Marines. Not to take anything away from them since they'll go through more than I ever will, but they're trained to kill and be killed.

true, but given that bonuses are supposed to be in the contract, there's not a whole lot of lying wiggle room

I hope it works out like you've been told.

If I wanted to be a straight-up killer I would have enlisted in the Marines.

well uh, if you put it like that

I wasn't trying to be demeaning, but in a line of work and assortment of branches where deadly force is supposed to be a regular part of the job, they're the deadliest. At least in theory anyway.

true, but given that bonuses are supposed to be in the contract, there's not a whole lot of lying wiggle room

I hope it works out like you've been told.

well, to be fair, i'm not being promised anything. i was talking about the army. marines don't get any kind of fringe benefits and bonuses; that's how we roll. our benefits are that we get a longer basic, ocs, and mos school, higher pft requirements, and get to be beaten to a pulp and brainwashed.

If I wanted to be a straight-up killer I would have enlisted in the Marines.

well uh, if you put it like that

I wasn't trying to be demeaning, but in a line of work and assortment of branches where deadly force is supposed to be a regular part of the job, they're the deadliest. At least in theory anyway.

i don't take offense to like, anything. haha. don't worry.

you're probably right, and given that i don't plan on making it a three year career, the best opportunity for advancement for me is infantry officer. so, that's my plan.

I think technically the boomer sub crews and the pilots and missile guys for STRATCOM are the deadliest.

Sure, technically. A Marine'll bust up the chairs those guys sit on and disembowl you with the fragments though.

Going up to the MEPS in Columbia for my physical, but that's all as I still have a reference form for my waiver that my recruiter hasn't received yet. It's going to kinda suck to only have something to do during the physical part and sitting around while all the other guys are taking their ASVAB, talking to their career liasons, signing their contracts and all that crap. Ah well, I should get used to waiting now I guess. It's going to be neat hanging out at the hotel with other people in the same boat as me.

Heard it can be a good experience, but the thought of joining the "army" I don't like to much.

Going up to the MEPS in Columbia for my physical, but that's all as I still have a reference form for my waiver that my recruiter hasn't received yet. It's going to kinda suck to only have something to do during the physical part and sitting around while all the other guys are taking their ASVAB, talking to their career liasons, signing their contracts and all that crap. Ah well, I should get used to waiting now I guess. It's going to be neat hanging out at the hotel with other people in the same boat as me.

you have a ship date yet, or are you basically at the mercy of the mythical waiver police at this point?

I'm at the mercy of the dumb whore bitch former teacher/academic team coach of mine to send the shit in. I'm going to go by the high school before I go to the recruiting office today and ask what the fuck is up. There's also the possibility that the main office never gave it to her when I dropped it off. One way or another, I'mma find out. After that I figure the waiver'll take anywhere from a week or two to process.

I also need to finish my enlistment datasheet. Those are the only two pieces of paperwork keeping me from going off and doing the damn thing. I'm giving myself until May 1st, because I REALLY need to get in shape too.

I didn't know there were different kinds. It's for a drug possession arrest. I've got all three forms now, and just need my datasheet. Then I have a phone interview with my recruiter's CO and I'm ready to roll. MEPS was fun, actually. I had a blast. The only thing that sucked balls was having to get up at 3am.

MEPS was fun, actually. I had a blast. The only thing that sucked balls was having to get up at 3am.

Except for the whole doing a million push-ups and running until you puke thing, the same can pretty much be said about boot camp.

We can continue talking about this at the other place, if you'd like. I'm probably going to make another thread when I go up to MEPS the second time for the big time "we own your ass now" trip.