TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

Spring Training 2009

I think Naiwf is upset that the Mets weren't in on it.

I wonder what the heck the O's are thinking. What's the point of locking up a second baseman in his 30s long term on that club? Trade him for prospects.

MLB Network has a bunch of random classic games this weekend.

SATURDAY

4/9/85 St. Louis @ NY Mets - Gary Carter Game-Winning Home Run, 11:00/8:00 AM

5/6/82 NY Yankees @ Seattle - very attractive in a way that I can't explainlord Perry (CHEATER!!!!) Records his 300th Victory, 2:30 PM/11:30 AM

SUNDAY

5/01/91 Toronto @ Texas - Nolan Ryan Tosses His 7th No-Hitter, 11:30/8:30 AM

6/28/76 NY Yankees @ Detroit - Mark The Bird Fidrych Tosses a Complete Game, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM

6/23/84 St. Louis @ Chicago Cubs - Ryne Sandberg Delivers Game-Tying and Game-Winning HR, 4:00/1:00 PM

4/10/81 Chicago White Sox @ Boston - Carlton Fisk Hits Game-Winning Home Run in Fenway Return, 9:00/6:00 PM

EDIT: OMG word filter

Guest Czech please!

With the old games, it's interesting to see how the production values have evolved since just 2002. I wish MLB Network wouldn't do such a half-assed job of rebranding the coverage, though, because it's nearly impossible.

With the old games, it's interesting to see how the production values have evolved since just 2002. I wish MLB Network wouldn't do such a half-assed job of rebranding the coverage, though, because it's nearly impossible.

Agreed although I always get a kick out of seeing things like OBP or SLG listed just because I was naive as to how "available" it was in terms of mainstream featuring during the past. Both stats were well known at least in the early 90's (See videogames and I remember Dennis Martinez's perfect game featured OBP in the at bats).

One thing I hate is that they show the "highlights" of the game immediately, then show the game. Just seems... wasteful and pointless. If you're going to watch the game, why do you need to see highlights first?

The deal to build the A's a new park in Fremont is officially dead. Really outside the fact that I live slightly closer to Fremont than Oakland, there wasn't a whole lot I liked about the deal. Popular belief is that the A's will now turn their attention to San Jose where the current ownership has wanted to move all along.

Just found this from Jerry Manuel's initial address. Everything I've read seems to agree that the "optimal" lineup can help add 3-5 W over the course of a season and if you see good lineups from the past, the leadoff hitters have all had pop (1996/1997 Baltimore with Brady Anderson/Robby Alomar, the 2000's Red Sox with Damon).

*Luis Castillo may bat leadoff for the Mets. Potentially, Carlos Beltran could bat second and Jose Reyes third. It may make more sense to bat Carlos Delgado fourth and David Wright fifth in that scenario, since otherwise the Mets would be stacking a ton of lefties at the bottom of the order.

Beltran for his career has his best numbers in the 2 hole (.293/.379/.549).

My ideal lineup. For the most part, you'd be getting Reyes/Beltran/Wright the most at bats over the course of the season and having Castillo possibly "lead" off an inning from the 9 spot makes up for the outs that the pitcher would accrue (LaRussa In Past). You don't really have to worry about the LOOGY as much if you can replace Schneider with RH Ramon Castro off the bench. You also still get the "base threat" with Reyes, Beltran, and even Wright at the top of the order.

1: SH Jose Reyes

2: SH Carlos Beltran

3: RH David Wright

4: LH Carlos Delgado

5: RH Fernando Tatis

6: LH Ryan Church/LH Daniel Murphy

7: LH Brian Schneider

8: Pitcher

9: SH Luis Castillo

Meaningless exhibition games are just two days away but hey at least it's baseball. Here's a TV schedule for this week.

WEDNESDAY

Giants vs. Indians, 3:00 PM/Noon, MLBN

Red Sox vs. Twins, 7:00/4:00 PM, MLBN

THURSDAY

Astros vs. Braves, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, ESPN

Diamondbacks vs. Indians, 4:00/1:00 PM, MLBN

FRIDAY

Cardinals vs. Mets, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, MLBN

Padres vs. Indians, 5:00/2:00 PM, MLBN

SATURDAY

Rays vs. Phillies, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, MLBN

Twins vs. Yankees, 5:00/2:00 PM, MLBN

I'm assuming the MLB Network games will just be the local feeds and apparently the Indians have a lot of their Spring Training games televised. Who knew?

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plaindealer....xml&coll=2

Gotta love the argument about Batting Average.

When the subject of Sizemore's declining batting average was broached - .290 in 2006 to .277 in 2007 to .268 last year - Wedge brushed it aside.

"Batting average, unfortunately for a lot people, and it's only been really noted in the last five or 10 years, that it is somewhat of an overrated stat," Wedge said. "There are so many other numbers that are more important to a team winning a ballgame - that's all that matters. It doesn't worry me."

Do you think anyone had the nerve to tell Ted Williams, the last man in the big leagues to hit .400 in a season, that batting average was overrated?

Wedge wouldn't name names, but said, "You can compare Grady with the great ones."

Can a player be called great if he isn't close to being a .300 hitter? Sizemore's career average is .279.

Grady Sizemore

2006: .290/.375/.533 (0.908) with 190 H and 78 BB vs. 153 K

2007: .277/.390/.462 (0.852) with 174 H and 101 BB vs. 155 K. Note that he also had 27 fewer AB. He only had 16 fewer hits but balanced that out with 23 more walks.

2008: .268/.374/.502 (0.876) with 170 H and 98 BB vs. 130 K. Note that he had 6 more AB than 2007 but cut his K's down by 25.

4 more hits in 2007 bumps his BA to .285 and give him 6 and he gets up to a "normal" .287. Give him 10 hits in 2008 and he has a .284 BA instead. Also he had a .339 BABIP in 2006, .333 BABIP in 2007, and .290 BABIP in 2008. Looks like just got unlucky in 2008 for the most part.

Guest Czech please!

I was ready to say "if you keep giving running commentary of meaningless spring training games I'm going to ban you," but then I realized that a bunch of really shitty posters would show me up and lobby to get you back in, so I'm not gonna bother.

I was ready to say "if you keep giving running commentary of meaningless spring training games I'm going to ban you," but then I realized that a bunch of really shitty posters would show me up and lobby to get you back in, so I'm not gonna bother.

Im sure some Mets fans on here would want to know one of their offseason acquisitions is hurt. Turns out it was just a blister but still.

If you don't want running commentary of Spring Training games, don't go into a Spring Training thread.

ESPN Analysis: I don't think A-Rod is going to get a favorable reaction today... there's no way.

*10 minutes later*

ESPN Analysis: Sorry to interrupt are usual golf coverage but A-Rod has just been walked. So far no reaction from the crowd.

*40 minutes later*

ESPN Analysis: We have to cut the top 10 plays of yesterday short, but A-Rod has just hit a homerun and the crowd is giving him a standing ovation. Lets see the crowd!

*Only a few people are clapping, most fans are sitting down*

ESPN Analysis: This has to be a great day for A-Rod. He has to feel a bit redeemed today.

Guest Czech please!

I heard about 45 seconds of Darrin Jackson on the radio with Farmio. He's even worse with the northern white guy than he was with the southern white guy. Maybe the MLB Network will hire him away. They took Dan Plesac, so they'll take anybody.

Guest Smues

I guess I need to hurry up and renew mlb.tv now so I can get to watching. Huzzah baseball time of the year.

ESPN Analysis: We have to cut the top 10 plays of yesterday short, but A-Rod has just hit a homerun and the crowd is giving him a standing ovation. Lets see the crowd!

I'm still bitter from watching an hour long Sportscenter like 7 years ago just to see the top 10 bloopers of the week, only to have them stop like 3 plays in to cut to a Barry Bonds press conference.