TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

Spring Training 2009

Any idea on who the commentators will be for the MLB Network? I saw Costas on the channel a couple of days ago, so I assume he'll be free to do so at some point. I don't know why but part of me is hoping for him to be paired with Olbermann. I know it'll never happen, but it could be nice.

I believe their primary announce crew for their Thursday night regular season games will be Matt Vasgersian and Harold Reynolds although it was reported when Costas signed on that he would be calling some games.

Yeah, I imagine the excellent Matt V will be calling a lot of those TV games.

Heard Cory Provus along with Uke on the the Brewers/A's game yesterday, and he did OK.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the Dodgers have apparently offered Manny a new contract. 1 yr/$25 million with a player option for 2010 @ $20 million. If he doesn't take this I'm assuming he just doesn't want to play baseball anymore.

Good thing he ran himself out of Boston for fear that they might pick up his two $20 million player options. That would have been devastating for him.

EDIT: They've reportedly agreed to terms. No link yet.

EDIT 2: LA Daily News retracted the done deal article.

The Nationals are strongly considering firing Jim Bowden and replacing him Blue Jays assistant GM Tony LaCava. Bud Selig has already given them the go-ahead to make a change without interviewing a minority candidate.

Guest Smues

According to a graphic on ESPN during the Braves game Chin-Ming Wang went 8-21 last year. That's pretty impressive for only pitching 95 innings.

The Nationals are strongly considering firing Jim Bowden and replacing him Blue Jays assistant GM Tony LaCava. Bud Selig has already given them the go-ahead to make a change without interviewing a minority candidate.

What did Bowden do to get himself fired a month before the season starts? Why didn't they just fire him back in October of 2008 so they could have the new gm develop the team into what they wanted for what is possible for the 2009 season?

What did Bowden do to get himself fired a month before the season starts? Why didn't they just fire him back in October of 2008 so they could have the new gm develop the team into what they wanted for what is possible for the 2009 season?

Bowden is in really deep with the DR bonus skimming scandal. He's reportedly being investigated by the FBI. They're dropping like flies in the Nats organization as a result of the scandal, with Special Assistant Jose Rijo recently agreeing to take a leave of absence.

Guest Smues

Man Scott Boras must really be feeding Manny a lot of shit about other teams being interested. This is still pretty funny though. Fuck you and your $45 million dollar guarantee, me being Manny costs more than that!

According to what I read, the Dodgers wanted to pay Manny $10 million this year, with $10 million deferred to 2010 and the remaining $5 mil coming in 2011. There would be no interest added to the deferred payments. The option year would be paid out over a three-year period, also without interest.

Doing a quick PV of the contract using a 10% discount yields $21M for year one and $15M for the option. That's a bunk contract. While Manny may be out of options right now, Boras rejected an offer that was grossly in favor of the Dodgers and out of line with market standards. You don't defer money without interest.

Milton Bradley is already hurt.

On some 35 degree windy night in April at Wrigley I fully expect Milton's hamstrings to just snap off his bones. You'll see them flipping around in the outfield grass while the grounds crew try and round them up.

Maybe it was already mentioned, but the Dodgers signed Doug Mientkiewicz to a minor league deal a couple days ago.

I think any other year he would have gotten a Major League deal no problem.

Maybe it was already mentioned, but the Dodgers signed Doug Mientkiewicz to a minor league deal a couple days ago.

I think any other year he would have gotten a Major League deal no problem.

Nah. A first baseman with a .379 slugging percentage is probably not going to merit a guaranteed gig.

There's a chance that Santana may not be ready for opening day thanks to stiffness in his elbow. If his elbow has any kind of damage we might as well just pack this season in before it even starts.

The Royals signed type A free agent RP Juan Cruz to a two year contract. Given that they lose a second round pick rather than a first, this may be a decent move.

I like the signing. He's a little up and down in terms of his control (4.8 BB/9 over the past 3 seasons) but he can strike out any hitter at any given time and makes a good pairing with Soria. Also gives the Royals another guy who is deadly against RHP (0.671 OPS vs. 0.771 LHP in his career).