TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Annabelle

Does Criticism Belong in Music?

I think the criticism re: no 5-star for TVOTR was meant as more a general example; newly released music does not get 5-star ratings on allmusic, period. I think it's helpful to give an album a bit of time, but you don't need to wait 5 years to decide if something's great.

For that reason, I don't put much stock in the scores on reviews, since they tend to skew either towards laudatory ejaculations or conservative wait-and-see. It appears painfully hard to write reviews for interesting things that fall somewhere in the middle of that spectrum. I don't really look for star ratings; to answer your first question, I'm most interested in a combination of the second and third choices you gave. If I'm reading a review, it's cause I want an understanding of what the album's like, an idea of what songs stand out or are particularly representative, and, if possible, some good writing in general.

Good writing is always important. While encountering someone with similar taste as myself is nice, I like it when a writer takes a point of view I don't agree with and makes me understand where he's coming from. I'd much rather read a reasoned, concise piece on why, say, Dear Science doesn't work than read someone who says little more than "this album is great because these songs move me."

The only reference I use for reviews is if they compare an artist to another artist so I have a feel on whether I may enjoy their work. Since music is subjective like art, criticism is fairly useless.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

While I disagree with Point B, I primarily use reviews as an "X sounds like Y" reference point myself.